• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Evan Williams 1783 10 yo Bourbon

AVB

Jesus of Cool, I'm bad, I'm nationwide
Evan Williams 10 Year Old Kentucky Straight Bourbon Whiskey, 86 proof, short squat bottle, no additional packaging, about $12 here in PA., available nationwide.

Evan%20Williams%2010.JPG

After the last review of an almost impossible to get scotch I thought it would be good to do one of a drink that is fairly easily gotten hold of. Named after Evan Williams who is considered one the first distillers in what was then 1783 Virginia, it is one of the many Heaven Hill brands of bourbon. Overseen by the master distillers Craig & Parker Beam (yes, that Beam family) Evan Williams is the second largest selling bourbon in the US.

While most may have seen this and even some may have tried it I don't think many know how well this has been reviewed. The Wine Enthusiast calls it a classic and rates it in the 96-100 point area. Their review is as follows: The early fragrance emits subtle, almost floral/fruity scents of banana, matted rose petals, field grasses and marzipan; aeration releases deeper aromas, especially oaky vanillin, sautéed butter, deep-fried pork rind and buttered sweet corn. Palate entry is semisweet, oaky and honeyed; at midpalate, toffee and light caramel tastes merge with the gentle bite of spirit. Finishes lean, off-dry and regal. The best whiskey value in the world, bar none.

There are some that think this is a schizophrenic bourbon with signs of a "young" taste along with characteristics of an older 10 yo bourbon. I, personally, don't taste or smell what they are talking about. I'm also not sure where some of the above flavors and scents are coming from but that guy gets paid to review stuff and I just buy it 'cause I want to try it. In any case we both agree that this is a GREAT buy in bourbon and one that should be on any bourbon fans shelf. Buy some today. An ACE! :thumbs:

uuuuuuh, that pic is deceptive as there is only about an inch left in it now. Too many drams last night.

Thanks Ray...

I have been drinking Woodford's Reserve, but I was looking for a change. I know you don't think highly of WR, so I may pick up a bottle of EW 1738 (which is conveniently located at my local BX/PX), and try something you do like! :D

Sincerely...C&G

At least it is inexpensive enough that if you don't like it you won't be out much and you can always mix with it. I doubt that will happen though.

Another excellent buy in bourbon is Elijah Craig. (12 year old Kentucky Straight Bourbon)

Even with NC dictating prices, last week I picked up a 1.75 liter bottle for $32 on sale.
(Normally I believe that size is $37 in our local ABC store.)

I have tried most of the premium bourbons with a couple of notable exceptions and Elijah Craig holds its own very well and is a bargain to boot.

Well there ya go. I wasn't a member then and I didn't search before replying (as it didn't seem necessary) but I'm glad we agree on the merits of that fine bourbon. :cool:

(I've been enjoying Elijah Craig for a few years now and though I didn't need another bottle (as the one I had was still pretty full), I couldn't resist picking up another while on sale.)

Hey Ray...how does this compare to the EW Single Barrel? I almost picked up a bottle a few weeks ago, and prolly still will.

The Single Barrel releases are all good but at a much higher cost. Also, being single barrels they are not as consistent (although just as good) as the 1783 has been over the years.

Hey Ray...how does this compare to the EW Single Barrel? I almost picked up a bottle a few weeks ago, and prolly still will.

Well, it only took me a year to get it, but I sprung on a 1.75 for $23! I really like the Jim Beam Black, so I am looking forward to trying the 1793!

I tried finding this locally but they didn't have the same label. Is it all the same blend?

Check this webpage out: http://www.evanwilliams.com/about_brands.shtml

The bottle I found at a local MGM looked like the black label middle left of the page with the full glass right in front of it.

Down the page it has a "Other Expressions" area where you can see the Evan Williams 1783 bottle as Ray has it picuted above.

Same stuff?

I tried finding this locally but they didn't have the same label. Is it all the same blend? NO

Check this webpage out: http://www.evanwilliams.com/about_brands.shtml

The bottle I found at a local MGM looked like the black label middle left of the page with the full glass right in front of it.

Down the page it has a "Other Expressions" area where you can see the Evan Williams 1783 bottle as Ray has it picuted above.

Same stuff? YES the "Other Expressions" bottle is the correct stuff

Interestingly enough, I went on a small hunt for this a while back and saw only the black bottle as well. Apparently, the 1783 is a hidden jewel that somebody is trying to keep under wraps, maybe in a effort to keep the price down. :whistling:

Thanks for the clarification. I'll get back on the hunt. Accept no substitutes. :thumbs:

I found a bottle today while in a liquor store in Albany, GA. The price was $14.97 after tax. I'll give it a try this weekend.

I purchased a bottle to try. While I don't particularly care about sipping bourbon neat or on the rocks, like scotch I did try this. Still can't drink it neat, but I really like this with Coke! Thanks for the suggestion.

My go-to Bourbon is generally Maker's--it's consistent, delicious and the price is right, but Evan Williams 1783 is without a doubt my "best value" pick. IMHO, for the extra buck-and-a-half, it's head and shoulders above the "regular" Evan Williams Black. I think you're hard pressed to find a bottle that tastes as good at such a low price point.

AVB, I know it's no George T. Stagg, but I would be really interested in reading your review of Maker's Mark.

All great bourbons, but if you want to try something a step above, pick up a bottle of the Evan Williams Single Barrel 2000 Vintage.

I bought this a couple weeks ago when I bought my 4 roses single barrel. I have buffalo trace as well and I love the trace and four roses neat, but can't seem to drink the Evan straight. I'm sure it will be fine with coke, but not a fan by itself.
B