• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Wild Turkey Rare Breed

AVB

Jesus of Cool, I'm bad, I'm nationwide
Wild Turkey Rare Breed, 108.2 proof, short squat bottle with round tube packaging, about $30-35, available nationwide.

Wild%20Turkey%20Rare%20Breed.JPG

Way back in August member Black Plague asked if I could do a review of Wild Turkey Rare Breed and I told him it would come up before the end of the year. Well, now is it's time.

Wild Turkey Rare Breed (hereafter known as WTRB) is not a real barrel proof as stated on the label becasue it is a blend of 6, 8 and 12 year old whiskeys that have to be cut a bit with water to reach a consistent 108.2 proof. Looking at some of the George T. Stagg or W.L. Weller releases at well over 130 proof bears this out. This however, is a minor point once you get some on your tongue.

WTRB is a great brown leather color in the bottle that lightens little in the glass. The nose is leather, rye, oak and earth that softens a bit if you add a little water. Tasting neat, this is smooth with honey, rye spice and raisins before the alcohol hits, after about 10 seconds the burn wears down and a finish of liquorice and dark chocolate comes up for a fairly long time. A little water cuts back on the rye spice and much of the alcohol burn while bringing up the honey and some oak.

This is Wild Turkey on steroids and is everything a word with the bird should be. Big, no-holds-barred and truly original and worth the 50% premium over the standard Wild Turkey. An ACE!

Wild Turkey Rare Breed is so smooth I forgot it was 108.2 proof. This stuff is a bargain at under $35 IMHO.

Thanks for the review, Ray. WT is a "go to" around here and we usually go through a bottle or two of "Rare Breed" around the holidays..... :thumbs:

Cheers - B.B.S.

You'll have some Cigar Malt soon to cut back on the WTRB consumption :p

WTRB is my sick elixer. It's a great sipping bourbon, but when you're sick, a shot or two of this stuff will knock it out. Tried and true with me and my GF. Maybe it's just psychological though...

You'll have some Cigar Malt soon to cut back on the WTRB consumption :p
Now you're talking..... :thumbs: Some serious "milestones" to celebrate this year. Or is it "millstones".....never could quite figure that one out...... :p

Cheers - B.B.S.

Bought a bottle of this to take to the Super Bowl party yesterday, and boy am I glad I did. I was trying to decide between this, Baker's and Booker's and went with this for purely economical reasons. With a squirt of water on my first two glasses this stuff was silky smooth. Ray has the honey, oak and spice notes spot on and even neat it was smooth and enjoyable. This bottle won't last long at all!! :thumbs:

This one's on my list, definitely! Over here its 38 euro's (45-48$)

Have to chime in again. WT101 and WTRB are wonderful, flavorful bourbons and a good value for the price. Easy to recommend.... :thumbs:

Cheers - !!! - B.B.S.

This is currenty my go to bourbon. Awesome. Gonna crack my 1st bottle of Buffalo Trace soon and see how that fairs.