• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Goose Island Bourbon County Stout

smellysell

Go Vols!!!
First off I have to thank Pete for hooking me up I with these, and then some more of this years release. This bottle is from ’06 and as such is “only” 11%, whereas the new release I believe is 13%.

Style – Imperial Stout
ABV - 11%
Brewed In – Chicago, Illinois
Availability – Summer Release

IMG_0700.jpg

"I really wanted to do something special for our 1000th batch at the original brewpub. Goose Island could have thrown a party. But we did something better. We brewed a beer. A really big batch of stout-so big the malt was coming out of the top of the mash tun. After fermentation we brought in some bourbon barrels to age the stout. One hundred and fifty days later, Bourbon County Stout was born-A liquid as dark and dense as a black hole with a thick foam the color of bourbon barrels. The nose is a mix of charred oak, vanilla, carmel and smoke. One sip has more flavor than your average case of beer. It overpowers anything in the room. People have even said that it's a great cigar beer, but I haven't yet tried a cigar that would stand up to it."

-from bottle label

Appearance
Pours jet black with a very thin, dark brown head, that also has an orange highlight to it. The head had average lacing with average retention.

Smell
Bourbon is on the forefront with a strong chocolate and coffee aroma. As it says on the bottle, the charred oak is also very evident.

Taste
Starts off with a very full bodied sweetness. Strong bourbon flavor that is followed by a huge, chocolate finish. Alcohol is very noticeable.

Feel
This beer feels very thick and creamy, coating the mouth. Definitely a sipper, and not as smooth as other imperial stouts, due to the strong bourbon flavor.

Verdict
I love this beer every time that I have it. I can’t wait to try my ’07 bottle 2 or 3 years from now. Thanks again Pete for hooking me up with these.

It's some good stuff isn't it? I wish I had more of the '06. The '07 seems a little hot. It's gonna need some time.
The blurb on the bottle is right, it is good with a cigar, but make it a strong one!

It's some good stuff isn't it? I wish I had more of the '06. The '07 seems a little hot. It's gonna need some time.
The blurb on the bottle is right, it is good with a cigar, but make it a strong one!

I agree Pete, the 2007 is fantastic but a bit hot is exactly how I would describe it. I am hoping a year of age is as kind to it as it was the 2006 vintage and based on the few I have sampled I think it will be.

Great review Justin. What kind of glass is that? I like it.

I agree Pete, the 2007 is fantastic but a bit hot is exactly how I would describe it. I am hoping a year of age is as kind to it as it was the 2006 vintage and based on the few I have sampled I think it will be.

Great review Justin. What kind of glass is that? I like it.

To be honest Jonas, I'm not sure. I went to every store in town that I thought might have a snifter, and finally found this one at Ross of all places! I love it though, you can fit a whole magnum in it.

I have a single bottle of the 2007 left and it is excellent. Definitely a great cigar beer. I have been drinking it in apertif glasses with friends one bottle at a time and everytime we put one down I wish I would have bought some more.