• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Pappy Van Winkle 23

AVB

Jesus of Cool, I'm bad, I'm nationwide
A little bit of a milestone here for the 50th American whiskey review so I pulled out one of the big guns. Pappy Van Winkle Family Reserve 23 yo bourbon, Bottle 546 of 900, second release, 95.6 proof. Stitzel-Weller distillery wheated stock* (closed in 1992) Latest 23 yo pricing is about $200 a bottle, available in limited markets. (*= higher in that grain then normal bourbon mash )

PVWFR23.JPG

This second release was a change for the PVWFR23 in that the first bottling was a high rye bourbon from a still unknown distillery and was the one that scored such high marks from the Beverage Tasting Institute. That first bottling was one of the pride and joys of my collection but I was made an offer I couldn't refuse to fill in a hole in the scotch collection. This second bottling only scored a 96 :whistling:

Looking at the bottle you see a dark caramel elixir that doesn't lighten up too much in the glass. Nosing is a first touch of alcohol quickly replaced with vanilla, brown sugar and cinnamon. The cinnamon sticks around to become prominent in the nosing.

Tasting is a subtle mix of smoky maple syrup, brown sugar and vanilla flavors giving into a cinnamon finish. There are hints of caramel and vanilla, especially on the finish. Nothing is jumping out at you as all the flavors compete for your attention. Oak, while buried in the other flavors does let you know this is a very old bourbon. The sweet spicy finish is a little hot with alcohol at first but that fades into a long vanilla ending.

While some feel that 23 years creates a too woody bourbon it also gives a flavor and smoothness that younger bourbons just can't replicate. Never cheap but never duplicated Pappy Van Winkle Family Reserve 23 is something that all bourbon lovers should try to have at least once. One of the top bourbons I've had the pleasure to try. An ACE :thumbs:

Mmmmmm.......Mmmmmmm.......Mmmmmm.

Nice review AVB!

Like a moth to a flame Dan eh :p

Great review as always. I'll be opening mine Friday night to celebrate the closing on our first home purchase. That should be a nice way to break in the new place.

Plans for a basement walk-in are in the research stages...

I'll be looking forward to reading your thoughts on it.

Great review as always. I'll be opening mine Friday night to celebrate the closing on our first home purchase. That should be a nice way to break in the new place.

Plans for a basement walk-in are in the research stages...

Nice review, I wish I had a bottle of any Van Winkle these days. Too hard for me to find.

-Mark

I have spotted a few 20 year old bottles around town for just shy of $100.00. It makes me wonder if the 23 year old is worth slightly more than double?

Thanks for the review. I really enjoy them.

When it comes to luxury spirits, prices don't increase linearly. The 23 YO is definitely more rare (fewer bottles produced) than the 20 YO and only certain barrels even have the opportunity to make the journey to 23 years. Additionally, evaporation can take anywhere to 50-60% of the original bourbon from the cask.

I wouldn't start a collection with the 23YO, but if you enjoy the Van Winkle bourbons, the 23YO is a real treat.

FWIW, any SMS as limited as the 23YO PVW would sell for 2-3x the price.

How true, I have two private bottlings of Pappy 23 which only yielded 53 and 97 bottles out of the barrel.

When it comes to luxury spirits, prices don't increase linearly. The 23 YO is definitely more rare (fewer bottles produced) than the 20 YO and only certain barrels even have the opportunity to make the journey to 23 years. Additionally, evaporation can take anywhere to 50-60% of the original bourbon from the cask.

Not always the case. I had a buy of the Chieftain's Cigar Malt which I ordered last year and they were limited to 270/372/618 bottles depending on the version and they were less then the Pappy.

FWIW, any SMS as limited as the 23YO PVW would sell for 2-3x the price.

its bonus time again around here, so I'll be celebrating my extremely difficult 1st quarter with a bottle of this.

Thanks for the review!

Ray, thanks for another great review. Because of your reviews, I am now drinking several extraordinary bourbans including t he PVWFR 20 yo. Haven't had any of the 23yo. as yet, but your review certainly gives one some impetus to go find a bottle :D :D

If you can't find one let me know.