• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Laphroaig 15 yo scotch review

AVB

Jesus of Cool, I'm bad, I'm nationwide
I must say that the random selections are picking out some of my better bottles to sample. In this case it is Laphroaig 15 yo Islay Single Malt Scotch. While the 10 yo can be found easily it takes a bit more effort to find the 15 yo. Cost is about $55-65 and these is no cask or date information on the box or bottle.

Laphroaig%2015.JPG

Due to the holidays we had take-out of Kung-pow beef tonight, there'll be enough cooking tomorrow. We finished at around 5 and shortly after I selected a Juan Clemente Classic Churchill to go with the review. Not an easy smoke to find in the US but a supurb mild-medium smoke. I knew that it would compliment the Laphroaig very well. A sip of whisky, a few minutes with the cigar, repeat numerous times and the next thing you know an hour has passed by and I'm sitting here writing this review. :D

The Laphroaig 15 yo is a richer, smoother rendition of the classic 10 yo Islay Malt. The extra years have added undertones of spices to the peatiness of the younger version and mellowed it slightly. It is robust, full bodied and unforgettable. The stronger peat taste of Laphroaig is a love-hate relationship. If tried as a scotch novice you probably won't go back to it but with some time and malts behind you, you'll appreciate the distinct flavors that Laphroaig has to offer.

This Laphroaig has a deep rich golden color with a mildly smoky toasted nose, some say like new mown hay in the distance. A not quite strong peaty oaky body with hints of salt and spices that are unique to this scotch flavors your palete. The finish is long and mellow and completely Laphroaig. There is no other whisky you would mistake it for. Lagavulin is the closest but has it's own distinct flavors.

Overall, highly recommended for the experienced scotch drinker, a true classic. :thumbs:

P.S. Be sure to vote for the next scotch to be reviewed!

I must say that the random selections are picking out some of my better bottles to sample. In this case it is Laphroaig 15 yo Islay Single Malt Scotch. While the 10 yo can be found easily it takes a bit more effort to find the 15 yo. Cost is about $55-65 and these is no cask or date information on the box or bottle.

Due to the holidays we had take-out of Kung-pow beef tonight, there'll be enough cooking tomorrow. We finished at around 5 and shortly after I selected a Juan Clemente Classic Churchill to go with the review. Not an easy smoke to find in the US but a supurb mild-medium smoke. I knew that it would compliment the Laphroaig very well. A sip of whisky, a few minutes with the cigar, repeat numerous times and the next thing you know an hour has passed by and I'm sitting here writing this review. :D

The Laphroaig 15 yo is a richer, smoother rendition of the classic 10 yo Islay Malt. The extra years have added undertones of spices to the peatiness of the younger version and mellowed it slightly. It is robust, full bodied and unforgettable. The stronger peat taste of Laphroaig is a love-hate relationship. If tried as a scotch novice you probably won't go back to it but with some time and malts behind you, you'll appreciate the distinct flavors that Laphroaig has to offer.

This Laphroaig has a deep rich golden color with a mildly smoky toasted nose, some say like new mown hay in the distance. A not quite strong peaty oaky body with hints of salt and spices that are unique to this scotch flavors your palete. The finish is long and mellow and completely Laphroaig. There is no other whisky you would mistake it for. Lagavulin is the closest but has it's own distinct flavors.

Overall, highly recommended for the experienced scotch drinker, a true classic. :thumbs:

P.S. Be sure to vote for the next scotch to be reviewed!

I guess I'll throw in my newbie 2 cents.

I bought a bottle of this for my father about a year ago and we decided it wasn't for us. Cost was around $65 at BevMo. My father is a big fan of "the Glens" and JWs.

Your review is spot on, however, in mentioning the strong peat taste. It is very peaty and the smoke caught me totally off gaurd on my first sip and overpowered me. The taste is certainly distinctive but to my newbie palatte I can only say I didn't find it particularly pleasant. Still, it conjures up visions of dark and stately taverns, roaring fires and well-healed gentlemen. It's like a trip to the old country in a bottle.

I'd say this one is most definately for the experienced scotch drinker, and not for me.

You know what they say about Laphroaig...

"Your first drink might be your last."

I don't drink much Scotch, but sometimes I get a hankering for that wierd Islay taste and I've got a bottle of this stuff on hand for just such occassions!

Always good to revisit a favorite. Still a classic Islay that gives a consistent high quality dram any time you open the bottle. Got about 3 fingers in the glass and and 2 already in me :D

Always good to revisit a favorite. Still a classic Islay that gives a consistent high quality dram any time you open the bottle. Got about 3 fingers in the glass and and 2 already in me :D

Definitely a must have for the Peat fans. Can never grow wrong with this one and even the 10yo one is still pretty nice. :thumbs:

In addition to my Balvenie 15 I picked up Laphroaig 15 as well.

Please anyone reading this, don't make the mistake I did and drop an ice cube in this before sampling.

I really like the Laphroaig 10, it took me a long time to even be able to get it in my mouth, now that I have I think I'm ruined. The 15 is just that much more mellowed and tame, really just needs a little chilled water if anything at all.

That being said, the 15 made me covet the 10 even more, I really enjoy the kick in the mouth/nose the 10 gives.

OH MAN, I absolutely LOVE this! :thumbs:

I now have three different Laphroaigs in my collection, this one, the 30yo :love: and the Quarter Cask :whistling: which is a heck of a deal that can be had for around $45.00. :thumbs:

AVB,

During my vacation the daily 4pm meeting of the maui cigar club met on the beach and was introduce to a single malt called Lagavulin it was like smooooth. I became a big fan. What can you compare it to that is a little more affordable. I have read that it has been compared to Laphroaig. What are your thoughts?

BenjieV

Some have called the Lagavulin the best dram in the world so finding an acceptable substitute may prove difficult. I do like the Laphroaig Quarter Cask or perhaps the Talisker 10 but nothing totally matches the real deal.

Well... if I am going to drink single malt I may as well go for the best! :rolleyes:

I'm finishing off a large glass of the 15 right now. Sometimes I enjoy the knock you on your ass smokiness of the 10 (or the 10CS. Phew!), and other times I want something a bit more refined. This stuff is undoubtedly Laphroaig, but definitely more refined than either of the younger ones. Outstanding stuff.

Well when I read that they were discontinuing the 15 year I went on the hunt to buy as many bottles as I could afford/find well I found 7 bottles from 6 different package stores in 4 different states and I must say, I must of called 50-60 stores in 9 to 10 states. I found some of the stores I called did not even know they were replacing the 15 with the 18. The Cheapest bottle I found "all were 750ml" was 47.99 tax included :D and the most expensive was 64.99 plus tax :angry: atleast it was only 1 bottle at that price. Now out of the 50-60 stores I called 75% said that they carry the 10 year -which I am not a fan of- so if you like the 10 year I'm sure you can find it easily!! Cheers :cool: