• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Willett Single Barrel

AVB

Jesus of Cool, I'm bad, I'm nationwide
Willett Single Barrel, pot still style bottle, 94 proof, about $35-40, limited release area. #106 of 253 from barrel 8053

willett.JPG

I've gotten a few of these now via trades or bombs and I've finally gotten over the travels and cold I've had so it was time to sit down and do a review.

Somebody in the Willett distillery knows their marketing. Classy bottle, gold seal, hang tags, gold lettering all designed to grab your eye and open your wallet. The bourbon in the bottle is that classic "used penny" color that lightens up considerably in the glass to a more honey coloration. The nose is minty which reminds me of a number of Heaven Hill products along with a bit of brown sugar. Tasting has a lot of alcohol up front the first sip or two and then opens up to be a fairly light flavor with a touch of citrus on the sides of the tongue. I tried this with a 3:1 cut of bourbon to water and it really toned down the alcohol and opened up some oak and honey flavors. The finish is fairly short with a bit of oak and typical vanilla.

With no age statement on the bottle and an unknown provenance (did Willett actually distill this?) it seems to be a bit young and I think it could use more time in the barrel. Otherwise this was a decent pour but not exceptional. Pretty cool to have on the bar but I'll let you make your own decision if it is worth the price.

Here is a different review by Dan you can read too.

Nice review Ray. To my untrained tongue, that being, I know what I like and what I don't like, I found that the price is in the bottling. I agree that the bottle looks nice on the shelf or bar, and if that is worth 35-40 dollars to someone, then this is the one for you. :rolleyes:

Hey all! I am new to cigar pass but hardly new to bourbon. I tried and liked the Willett Bourbon. I suspect that you are correct about the distilling being from Heaven Hill. I am from Kentucky and my mother grew up in Bardstown. The old Willett distillery may be coming back but it is not back yet. That being said, I think that the Willett folks have some good sense when it comes to which barrel goes into their single barrel selections. Mine did not come from the same batch that yours did and it was very smooth and caramel flavored. I liked it. Now, it is no Woodford Reserve or Blanton's but I enjoyed my glass - with a Fuente.

That being said, I have a poor opinion of Four Roses. I think that opinion is because Four Roses was a cheap bourbon forever. I just cannot get the stereotype out of my mind. Is the single barrel really that good?

Of course, if you like cheap bourbon then Old Crow is clearly the class of the cheap ones.

Welcome to CP. It is customary to post a intro in the appropriate forum so folks can get to know you.

Four Roses was the largest selling Bourbon in the US until they decided to concentrate overseas. There have been many good bottlings issued but the Single Barrel may just be the only one you know about......and yes, it is that good.

For cheap stuff I like Ancient Age myself and the Ancient Ancient Age is pretty good.

Hey all! I am new to cigar pass but hardly new to bourbon.

I just cannot get the stereotype out of my mind. Is the single barrel really that good?

Of course, if you like cheap bourbon then Old Crow is clearly the class of the cheap ones.

Sounds like you know a bit about bourbon! I can probably review it with the best of them as it really is a bit of a passion of mine. Maybe that is because of my mother's life in Bardstown - my grandfather was a regional director of the ATF...in other words, he checked on the distilleries around Kentucky. I have more distilling memorabilia from him than I can count.

Ancient Age is good. I would agree that at the price it is a bargain.

As far as the worst bourbon goes, there is no doubt: Beam's Eight Star. That stuff is putrid. Another bad one is Kentucky Tavern...ouch, headache waiting to happen. I see Kentucky Gentlemen around as a well bourbon and that is weak stuff too. My beloved Old Crow is often a well bourbon and I celebrate seeing it there.

I have had some great Weller products recently and Buffalo Trace has us swimming in single barrel varieties right now. On your recommendation, I will pick up a bottle of the Four Roses Single Barrel. I just hope I can get over my prejudice against it.

Since this post is in the Willett line, I do want to say that I found it smooth and pleasant. Not the most vanilla but enough. Not the most oak but enough. Not an absence of burn but close.

Just click on the red color "here" in my signature. Always good to have more reviews or new opinions on things I've done already.

Sounds like you know a bit about bourbon!

Sounds like you know a bit about bourbon! I can probably review it with the best of them as it really is a bit of a passion of mine. Maybe that is because of my mother's life in Bardstown - my grandfather was a regional director of the ATF...in other words, he checked on the distilleries around Kentucky. I have more distilling memorabilia from him than I can count...
So, who're you at StraightBourbon.com? Memorabilia is nice. Bourbons bottles are better. :D:
I tried to buy the example bottle off of Even Kulsveen's desk from Drew back in '05. No go. But, then, it contained a 25yo (or similarly aged -- might have been 23yo) bourbon. So, I was really disappointed at the ordinary-ness of the actual release. Love the decanter, mind you, but the bourbon ranks in the $25 range, for me.

AVB,

How about reviewing the Whillett 8 or 9 year bourbon and their rye? I think the rye is 5 years old. Both very tasty and high proof like Noah's Mill.

I have reviewed some old of their old ryes but nothing recent.

Willett single barrel is one of my least favorite bourbons I've had, a long with Noah's mill.... Very disappointed with both of them.

Hate to hear that about Noah's, it does need some water or time with ice to open up.

I may try some like that... I had it straight and I thought it tasted like poop lol.