• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Liga Privada No. 9 by Drew Estates

Wurm

Bratwurst and Beer
Price: 9 US Dollars and up

Tobacco: Nicaragua 7 farm blend, no further info on the Drew Estates website

Size: Toro

Stored: 63.4°F / 65%Rh

Today being a beautiful day in Germany I decided to go down to my cellar and grab a cigar that I've been wanting to try since I heard about them here.

I'd like to send a big shout out of thanks to Nico for sending me this cigar as part of the "Make a Wish" thread :thumbs:

Glorious Sunshine covered by white fluffy clouds.

img0059vh2.jpg

And hot... (that's around 95 degree Fahrenheit (in the shade!) for you metric disabled folks out there).

img0058pa1.jpg

Now down to brass tacks...

img0041wd8.jpg

A quick clip with my Palio (my Xikar is in the shop getting sharpened)

img0044ez8.jpg

and a view of the foot shows how well rolled this cigar is.

img0046jp9.jpg

The cigar band is a prefect example of pure understated elegance, I thought it was extremely classy the first time I looked upon it. The small grey text states (as far as my limited Spanish allows me to translate) "Made exclusively for the boss".

img0043dg6.jpg

The other side of the band shows a lion rampant (thrills my Scottish heart) with the number 9, and if you look closely at the cigar wrapper you can see the tons of "cigar pimples" that this entire cigar wrapper was covered in.

img0047qw3.jpg

Lit up, I noticed immediately a subtle but sweet flavor that took me a while to pin-point but when I did it hit me like a ton of bricks. Cocoa-butter and coconut milk, sounds strange doesn't it? But rest insured I ENJOYED this flavor, it was a nice departure from all the spice and leather most of my cigars impart. Also the cigar burnt with one of the whitest ashes I have ever encountered, in fact the ash was almost the same shade as the band. A marketing executive couldn't have dreamed this up any better. I only hope I was able to capture this in the following picture.

img0049er1.jpg

The flavors stayed the same throughout the cigar, and when I knocked off the ash I noticed that the wrapper ash was bright white, the binder ash a dark grey and the filler ash a light grey almost white.

img0053fs8.jpg

The #9 provided a ton of (you guessed it) white smoke and I found myself exhaling through the nose (something I'm not a big fan of) to capture the flavor. I also found myself pressing my tounge to the roof of my mouth to let the taste linger.

So how much did I enjoy my first (and not last!) Liga Privada No. 9? Well I'll let the final picture of this series answer that question for me...

img0061hl1.jpg

Haven't tried one? I suggest that you do, I'm already saving up for a box.

Oh and I have to add a shameless plug for my new camera the Canon Powershot A590 IS I'm still learning how to use it, but its heads and shoulders above my old Kodak 3.0MP!

Hope you enjoyed the review,

Shawn

*edit to fix a broken picture

Nice Shawn!
Someone sent one of these my way in a PIF I was involved in for Jonesy's birthday. I thought the same thing about the elegant band, and good looking wrapper/construction.
I wished it was mine, and I did not have to foward it. :laugh:

Thanks for the review, now I really want one to try (Or, should I curse you :sign: )

Nice Shawn!
Someone sent one of these my way in a PIF I was involved in for Jonesy's birthday. I thought the same thing about the elegant band, and good looking wrapper/construction.
I wished it was mine, and I did not have to foward it. :laugh:

Thanks for the review, now I really want one to try (Or, should I curse you :sign: )

GET ONE!! :thumbs: When I received mine from Nico, I went and ordered one for Dale so he could try it too, he smoked his first and said it was flavored (Drew Estates Syndrome? :rolleyes: ) but was "OK"

So it may not be for everyone, but I have to really say its a cigar everyone should try at least once. Makes me wonder about the leather patch cigars from DE, AVB said once that the original bland was damn good, but I've never had one and after my "Acid Review" fiasco I wasn't willing to try and find one. Now I am going to if I can.

nice pics and nice review Shawn...love them Liga's. They go great with a cool Ice Coffee too.. ;)

art

oh yeah I use a PowerShot A95 and love it..

Great review of a great cigar. I just had one today and the Connecticut Broadleaf was in full effect. I've had a few of these in the last weeks and they have uniformly been delicious and nourishing cigars. This new release stands out for the richness of its blend and distinct lack of throat-ripping pepper of many of the new Nicaraguan blends.

This is one of the few premium cigars that is well worth its pricetag.

Wilkey

The one I had was excellent as well. Great review Shawn!

Very nice review and very nice pics. I currently have one in my humi resting for a few weeks (Thanks Brewmeister!) and now I don't know how much longer I can wait to try it out. :) Of course, it might get expensive for me after that, but such is life!!! Thanks again!

Don

Very nice review and very nice pics. I currently have one in my humi resting for a few weeks (Thanks Brewmeister!) and now I don't know how much longer I can wait to try it out. :) Of course, it might get expensive for me after that, but such is life!!! Thanks again!

Don
IMO, these have not needed downtime. If anything, the piquancy and sweetness of the CT Broad is well worth experiencing now when the cigar is punch and fresh.

In a word, go for it!

Wilkey

hehe, if the weather holds off, I bet I can guess where my hand will reach into the humi!!!! Will post my thoughts as well once (if) I can fire it up tonight!

Don

P.S Wurm, hope you didn't have a mustache!!!! LOLOL

hehe, if the weather holds off, I bet I can guess where my hand will reach into the humi!!!! Will post my thoughts as well once (if) I can fire it up tonight!

Don

P.S Wurm, hope you didn't have a mustache!!!! LOLOL

lol I don't nub many cigars. but this one was worth it. All you have to do is pucker like your gonna give your weird old aunt who smells like lavender a peck on the cheek to keep the ole Stache safe. :sign:

Nice review! I've noticed a lot of positives associated with this cigar. Guess it's time to try some.
I think that's the nubbiest nub I've ever seen! :thumbs:

Nice review! I've noticed a lot of positives associated with this cigar. Guess it's time to try some.
I think that's the nubbiest nub I've ever seen! :thumbs:
Dan,

Do you have any in the humi? If not, drop me a PM with your addy and I'll send you a pair. Please also make sure your profile wishlist is up to date.

Wilkey

I am now about 3/4 the way done with this cigar so I will tell you all my thoughts. This is in no way a threadjack!! Just an addendum or footnote or whatever you wish to call it. :) I have gotten cocoa butter out of this cigar predominantly. It is a very tasty smooth stick. I am not sure if everyone thought this was medium bodied but to me it seems more on the verge of medium/full. I think I get a syrupy taste as well. Kinda like sugary? Since my palate is so nonexistent I cannot really call it like I would like. :) It is a very very nice cigar. I would definitely keep this in mind for future purchases! I would also like to shout out to Tim (Brewmeister) for gifting me this stick. thanks again bro, since I would not have found it most likely without ya!

Don

I received a couple of the early release of these, let it sit for a couple months and was blown away by this stick. Great job on the review! I suggest you get that box form Israel at uptown as he will treat you right!

I am now about 3/4 the way done with this cigar so I will tell you all my thoughts. This is in no way a threadjack!! Just an addendum or footnote or whatever you wish to call it. :) I have gotten cocoa butter out of this cigar predominantly. It is a very tasty smooth stick. I am not sure if everyone thought this was medium bodied but to me it seems more on the verge of medium/full. I think I get a syrupy taste as well. Kinda like sugary? Since my palate is so nonexistent I cannot really call it like I would like. :) It is a very very nice cigar. I would definitely keep this in mind for future purchases! I would also like to shout out to Tim (Brewmeister) for gifting me this stick. thanks again bro, since I would not have found it most likely without ya!

Don

Very nice review Shawn. What in the heck is with the hot weather in Germany???

Don,

Glad you enjoyed it. I have only smoked one so far and it was excellent. I will have to smoke another couple before I post my comments.

Had one Liga 9 several weeks ago and remember it being quite sweet, had good flavor. I'll have to get another and put up a review.

Edited to add...very nice review Shawn! It was around 95F here today in the South. Evening was very nice though.

so it sounds like this drew estate is the only one worth buying? :)

Well, this certainly captures how I feel. It is simply of a different class from that perfume-infused, K-Mart grade tobacco used in all their other stuff.

Wilkey

Well, this certainly captures how I feel. It is simply of a different class from that perfume-infused, K-Mart grade tobacco used in all their other stuff.

Wilkey

Agreed... though unless the goal is to add prestige to the "Drew Estates" moniker, I think they may have been better served spinning off a new brand (ala Acura/Lexus, etc.).