• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

1966 Balvenie Vintage Cask

AVB

Jesus of Cool, I'm bad, I'm nationwide
1966 Balvenie Vintage Cask, 31 years old, cask strength (~91 proof), tube packaging but the majority were recalled and wood boxed, no longer normally available.

Balvenie%20Vintage%20Cask%201966%20trio%20sm.JPG

The 1966 Balvenie Vintage Cask is the most widely available of any of the Vintage Cask series so far. Unlike the other versions which range from low of 83 (1952) to a number that approach 200 bottles there were at least 2,000 bottles of 1966 produced from a number (11?) of different casks. This sample provided to me by Indyrob didn't come with any cask information but I'm sure he'll fill in that gap when he posts a follow up. The picture is of my bottles and is only a representation.

Back in 1998 when released you could pick one up for under $250 at the right place, now they can be found for $900+ (6/1/09) if you look hard enough.

I have my notes from the last bottle I had open 6-7 years ago (Cask 6432, bottle 63 of 264) so this will be interesting to see how this sample compares.

The nosing is more alcohol then I remembered or wrote down, even after sitting for 5 minutes in the glass. The typical heather and honey of The Balvenie is there just not as forward as before. Nutmeg and a trace of orange start to come out slowly after another few minutes along with a oak undertone. Fairly typical aged Balvenie. Of course, prior to this release there were only about (91, 83 & 141) 300 30+ year aged Balvenies ever so this is really the dram that started the "typical" aged Balvenie nosing.

The first taste is where things get interesting. Leather joins with the remnants of 31 years in a bourbon cask and a small citrus component all floating around together in a happy harmony. Vanillins make themselves known on the sides of the tongue along with a tingle of alcohol at the back. The finish is smooth with a longer burst of vanilla flavors mixed with warm nuts but it doesn't last nearly as long as one would want it even though in reality it is medium long.

A superlative dram that would be the centerpiece of any Speyside collection. An ACE!

Once again my heartfelt thanks to Indyrob for sending me a sample of this exquisite scotch. It brought back many good memories. :thumbs:

This bottle you sampled was #114 from cask # 1899, a small edition of 192 bottles.

I was very happy with the dram. I have had a limited exposure to the Balvenie but the flavors seemed more separate and distinct in the 15 y/o; but the '66 showed a real balance that I can very easily become used to.

The finish was just absolutely perfect for me, neither too short or too long. I couldn't taste the citrus anymore than a subtle influence where as the leather and wood seemed to be more in tune with the vanilla.

This bottle will be very hard to keep out of and I am already putting my spare dollars into the kitty in case I have a chance to acquire another.

Thanks for all the work you've put into the Saloon Ray, it has been a great resource for me and has helped pave the way for me in getting this bottle....as well as the 17 other bottles sitting in the bar! :thumbs: :thumbs:

I get a real kick out these rare ones. Once in a great while I come across one of these in a nice restaurant but it's really hard to fork over the money they want for just one pour. I guess I'll have to keep living through you.

Thanks for posting!

I figured that at least 10 or 12 have had this and would give an opinion.

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

I had another pour of this last night and it was the best glass I have had to date. Like cigars, you grow with the hobby the more you experience. I figure I've had enough glasses of scotch to truly enjoy a great pour like the '66.