• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Gratitude '06

smellysell

Go Vols!!!
It was a frigid 92 degrees here yesterday, so I decided to warm up with a nice American Barleywine. :p Nick (nicktressler) picked me up a couple bottles of this a while back and they look so fancy I’ve had a hard time bringing myself to drink them. Gratitude is released once a year and is hand-bottled and numbered. This is bottle 482/1300.

IMG_1070.jpg

Style – American Barleywine
ABV – 11.4%
Brewed In – Pittsburgh, PA
Availability – Brewed Once

A limited edition Barleywine Style Ale, brewed in November in the American tradition and hand packaged to specially commemorate the one year anniversary of the brewery. Hopefully this one will return each year.

- eastendbrewing.com

Score – 9.5/10

Appearance
This is without a doubt the best looking bottle I’ve ever seen. The beer pours a hazy copper with a stark white, 1 finger head that is very dense. The retention is good and the head leaves medium lacing.

Smell
From the second I cracked open the bottle, the smell of this beer hit me full force. Very strong, yet pleasant aroma. Bready malts and a strong presence of alcohol, accompanied by some fruity esters that I can’t quite place.

Taste
To me this seems more like English barleywines I’ve had than American ones, though this could be due to the hop presence fading over the year plus it's been aging. The flavor of alcohol is very slight, despite the very strong presence of it in the nose. Burnt brown sugar and cherries are also present. The earthy hops help to perfectly balance this beer, but definitely aren’t the centerpiece. Finishes very dry.

Feel
The mouthfeel is smooth and silky initially, and then finishes very dry. Although a bit more thin than I expect from a barleywine, it is still very nice. Carbonation is very light.

Verdict
This is one of the better barleywines I’ve had. I love the strong malt presence as I’m not much of a hophead. I can’t wait to see how the other bottle is with some more time in the cellar. Thanks again Nick! :thumbs:

Very nice. Anyone in Western PA going to the release tomorrow? We have a family function, otherwise I'd be out there!

Great review Justin! That stuff sounds (and looks) awesome. I am going to have to track a bottle or 3 down.

Hmmm. Pittsburgh? Busy weekend for me, but I can try to call a friend down there.

Very nice. Anyone in Western PA going to the release tomorrow? We have a family function, otherwise I'd be out there!

I heard they're gonna be selling some of the '05, I'd love to get a bottle of that if any of you guys do go.