• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Olfabrikken Porter

smellysell

Go Vols!!!
Every once in a while my local shop gets in something I never figured to see there, and a while back I found some of this sitting on the shelf. The big, sweet, malty flavors of Baltic Porters are right up my alley, and this is credited as one of the best representations of this style, so I picked up a bottle to drink now and a few to age.

IMG_1107.jpg

Style – Baltic Porter
ABV – 7.5%
Brewed In – Roskilde, Denmark
Availability – Year Round

Our Porter is inspired by the weighty Baltic porters common in Scandinavia. The taste is slightly smoky, with vinous notes from brown sugar, leading to a long, rich finish dominated by chocolate, licorice, and coffee flavors from our special blend of roasted malts.
-bottle

Score - 7.5/10

Appearance
Pours jet black with a dense, light brown head. The head has very strong retention and leaves thick lacing.

Smell
Immediately hit with a lot of sweetness when you put this to your nose for the initial smell. After sitting for a bit there are tons of roasty malts, brown sugar, and molasses.

Taste
Much like the aroma, there is a heavy sweetness up front. In the middle there is a strong molasses flavor along with a hint of smokiness. It finishes with a slight, burnt chocolate bitterness. It is very well balanced, but I was a bit disappointed with the lack of complexity.

Feel
This was surprisingly light and thin bodied. The carbonation was pretty light, exactly what I expect from a Baltic. I’m hoping with some time in the cellar it might gain some creaminess to the body.

Overall
This is probably the most sessionable Baltic porter I've had, but really lacked the complexity I was expecting/hoping for. This is a good beer, but with all the hype it gets I was expecting a bit more. I won't hesitate to drink more, but won't go out of my way to hunt more down.

Very nice review Justin. You've got me interested.

Wonder if this would pair nice with a Padron???