• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Balvenie Rumwood 14

AVB

Jesus of Cool, I'm bad, I'm nationwide
The Balvenie RumWood 14 yo Single Malt Scotch. 80 proof, tube packaging, unavailable in the US, no longer available.

Balvenie%20RumWood%2014.JPG

I figured now would be a good time to review the previous Blavenie rum finished offering before the new 17 yo one hits the stores in a few days.

The Balvenie RumWood was a limited edition of 14 casks released and was a Silver medal winner in the 2006 International Spirits Challenge and a Gold Medal Editor's Choice selection of Whisky Magazine. It is finished in rum casks for a period of 18 months and it was with great anticipation that I looked forward to trying this dram. It had good pedigree, was a style that I liked and if it was only half as good as the outstanding Glenfiddich Havana Reserve I would have it made. This was also the table bottle at my last herf so I hope a few others can give their thoughts too.

The nose needs some time to open up so I gave it 10 minutes sitting in my Ravenscroft glass before breathing deeply of the scents within. The nose is nutty with cocoa and oak, very intriguing. The first taste is spicy with cinnamon sprinkled over orange and a tough of rum sweetness. The finish continues the spiciness and brings in a caramelized fruitiness with oak underneath it all.

I'm glad I got the chance to try this dram and I really hope the new 17 yo version, which is finished in rum casks for 3 years, is as good.

Another incredibly tempting review Ray. Thanks!
Too bad this nectar is no longer available!!

Where will the 17 be available?

It will be available in some PA stores by tomorrow.

Another incredibly tempting review Ray. Thanks!
Too bad this nectar is no longer available!!

Where will the 17 be available?

Very nice, Ray. The best part is knowing that you will be doing a comparison between the two. :D

The nose needs some time to open up so I gave it 10 minutes sitting in my Ravenscroft glass before breathing deeply of the scents within. The nose is nutty with coca and oak, very intriguing. The first taste is spicy with cinnamon sprinkled over orange and a tough of rum sweetness. The finish continues the spiciness and brings in a caramelized fruitiness with oak underneath it all.

How exactly do you know what coca smells like, Ray? :whistling: But thanks for the review, this sounds very tasty (cinnamon and orange - yum!) and I'll be sure to try some of the 17 when I see it.

LOL! Wishful thinking maybe :blush:

I'll fix that.

How exactly do you know what coca smells like, Ray? :whistling: But thanks for the review, this sounds very tasty (cinnamon and orange - yum!) and I'll be sure to try some of the 17 when I see it.

How does this compare to the Portwood? Locally the 21 year Portwood retails for $120.00.

I'm really not sure what you want me to say. I reviewed both and I thought it is fairly clear. ???