• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Smuttynose Baltic Porter

smellysell

Go Vols!!!
I haven’t been able to drink anything for the last week since I got my gall bladder out, so it’s given me a chance to get caught up on some of the reviews I’ve taken notes for. Hope you enjoy!

Picture002-1.jpg

Style – Baltic Porter
ABV – 8.7%
Brewed In – Portsmouth, NH
Availability – Rotating

Indigenous to northern Europe, Baltic Porters historically stem from the shipping of British porters to the Russian hinterland. Unlike their British cousins, Baltic Porters are often brewed with lager yeast, which is the tradition we follow. Big & bold, with flavors of coffee, dark fruit & raisins, this black beer is smooth as a chocolate swirl.

-www.smuttynose.com

Score - 9/10

Appearance
Pours jet back into my Lowenbrau mug. The head is dark tan, and has a soapy consistency. The retention of the head as well as the lacing it leaves are both minimal.

Smell
This beer literally reeks of malty goodness. Tons of roasty, caramel malt aroma. There’s also a hint of coffee along with a touch of alcohol.

Taste
Upfront there is a heavy flavor of caramel and alcohol. It transitions to a very nice taste of dark fruits, plums and raisins. It finishes with flavors of bittersweet chocolate and coffee. The finish is extremely long and leaves almost an identical flavor to a mocha latte. This is an extremely well balanced and multifaceted beer.

Feel
I wouldn’t classify the body of this as either light or heavy, it falls somewhere right in the middle. The level of carbonation is much the same, falling somewhere around medium too, which complements the bevy of flavors very nicely. It leaves a very thick coating on my tongue that lingers for a long while.

Overall
This is an excellent beer. Extremely complex and well balanced. It is definitely a sipper, and the depth and strength of the flavors is outstanding. I think I need to dig in the cellar to find the Smuttynose RIS now.

Nice review, Justin. Keep up the good work. :laugh:

Very nice Justin, glad to hear your feeling better.

I may have to put this on my list of "to try" sounds right up my alley.

Man where have I been? I did'nt know you were on the shelf, hope you're feeling better. Hurry up with those reviews I am having withdrawls...:laugh: :thumbs: