• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Nocino della Cristina

AVB

Jesus of Cool, I'm bad, I'm nationwide
Nocino Della Cristina Walnut Liqueur from Napa Valley 750 ml, no external packaging, about $60-65 for the 750, $30 for the 375 ml, available in limited areas. 60 proof, Rated SUPERB (90-95)/Highly Recommended by the Wine Enthusiast Magizine.

Nocino%20della%20Christina%20.JPG

I don't go in much for flavored or girly drinks but I was exposed to this at the Italian-American dinner in Washington DC a few years ago. No. I'm not Italian but I was doing the network connectivity for them. I thought it was great and I have bought a few bottles since then and figured I would expose y'all to one of the finer after dinner liqueurs I've run across.

Nicino (pronounced no-CHEE-no) is the traditional walnut liqueur made throughout Italy and Southern Switzerland. The base ingredients of nocino have changed very little through the centuries. They include unripe walnuts, alcohol (typically grape brandy or grappa), sugar and spices. It is the mix of spices, which varies widely from family to family, and village to village, that gives each nocino its unique character (copied from the Monteverdi website).

This is truly one of the only liqueurs I can call black in the bottle although it turns out to be a very dark brown in the glass. While there are a few variations sold I can only speak for this one, one other I tried called Nocello Imperial Walnut Liqueur was not even close and should be avoided at all costs. There are a number of "home-made" recipes available too that I've heard do very well but again, I've not had them but they may be worthwhile for the more adventurous. I'll include two at the end of this.

The nose is full of just wonderful smells. Spices, walnuts and a bit of vanilla all come together to make an olfactory powerhouse. The taste is incredibly silky and smooth with hints of cinnamon, cloves, coriander? and who knows what else all touching the tongue. The finish is just a long continuation of the tasting with perhaps a bit of a maple sugar sweetness showing up. Such and interesting and complete drink it is hard to describe all the goings on with it.

In any case, my highest personal recommendation if that means anything to you. Buy some, you will not be disappointed. An ACE :thumbs:

You can get the 750ml bottle here .

Make your own:

(makes 1.5 liters)
6 walnuts
1 big walnut leaves
1 liter red wine (a cabernet-merlot blend)
250 mls inexpensive French brandy
6 star anise
1 cloves
1/4 large Mexican cinnamon sticks
175 grams sugar

(makes 1.5 liters)
About 8 nuts each jar
500ml vodka
2/3 cup grade B maple syrup
1/3 vanilla bean
2 cloves
1 t. szchuan peppercorns
2 slices of an orange
top off with a full bodied white burgundy wine

Remember these are green walnuts!

Sounds like a terrific after dinner drink for the changing weather.

On a threadjacking note, I clicked your link and as I do with all of those types of sites, I checked out the whiskey section. Have you ever tried the Welsh-made Penderyn Single Malt?

Sounds like a terrific after dinner drink for the changing weather.

On a threadjacking note, I clicked your link and as I do with all of those types of sites, I checked out the whiskey section. Have you ever tried the Welsh-made Penderyn Single Malt?

From www.whiskyfun.com:

Penderyn ‘Madeira Finished’(46%, OB, Single Malt Welsh Whisky) The fist malt to be distilled in Wales, according to Lex. Colour: straw with a salmony hue. Nose: starts on wood and wine, with some hints of three-star Cognac. Quite flowery (peony). Gets then quite buttery, with some milk caramel, overripe apple. Hints of vase water and old books. Again, something special. Quite weak! Mouth: what a strange attack, on burnt wood, dust and cheap rum. Gets really bitter after a moment. Some rosewater, Turkish delight, bubblegum…Hard to say it tastes like a Single Malt. Much closer to some ‘foreign’ experiments, like Guillon in Champagne or even India’s Sikkim, than to any SMSW. Short and watery finish, on melon liquor. Ouch. 45 points.

I have had it but don't own any myself hence no review. It was decent but I'd need another shot or two to form a good opinion. The one I had was not any special finish.

According to Penderyn's website, all their whisky is finished in Madeira barrels.

Ray, thanks for the review of this liquer. I think I'll pick some up for my Dad for Christmas. He likes to finish off a night with a little Frangelico, and it sounds like this might be similar enough that he'll like it.

I have had it but don't own any myself hence no review. It was decent but I'd need another shot or two to form a good opinion. The one I had was not any special finish.

Learn sumpin everyday. I knew they used Buffalo Trace casks but I thought that the Madeira finish was a variant and not the norm. In any case I would have given higher then a 45 score off of my one sample.

Penderyn review from AVB's linky site:

"Absolutely staggering arrival on the palate of malt, landing with almost snowflake delicateness. Immediately a second movement, this time of bitter-sweet fruit, blood orange included, sweeps down over the startled taste buds. Astonishing stuff." – Jim Murray’s Whisky Bible.

Guess Jim had alread sampled a few before he tried this one. :whistling: