• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Macanudo 1968

calstogy

Tried one of these compliments of the Macanudo. I found it rather strong, and flavorful. I went home and ordered the $10 sampler. And, there see one in the following photo:
macanudo_1968.jpg

I'll wait awhile before trying one again to see how they mellow. It did give me an excuse to try the new strobe light for my camera...

- Rick

A buddy of mine hooked me up with a 1968 Robusto the other day after we got through watching Illinois crap away our season. It was certainly a lot more flavorful than I had expected. I was half in the bag, so I don't recall a great many details about it, but overall I did like it in spite of the fact that it went dead at about the 1.5" mark and couldn't be resuscitated. His had some burn issues as well.

Speaking of rescues, we smoked them at a little mini-park along the bay side of South Beach where lots of people from the nearby high rises bring their dogs to poop. A medium-sized terrier of some sort was walking along the sea wall when a big Lab puppy came bounding at him wanting to play. Rather than getting the little guy to play with him, the Lab knocked the terrier off the sea wall and into the bay four or five feet below.

The terrier's owner dove in after him but couldn't get him out of the water due to the height of the concrete retaining wall. I laid down over the edge and grabbed the dog and pulled him back up to safety and then did the same thing for the owner. The lady who owned the rambunctious Lab puppy was totally useless during the whole incident.

I bought the sampler and frankly was a bit dissapointed. Burn and construction were spot on, but the flavor was very two dimensional and I found it more or less boring. Since I smoke for taste, I don't think I'll be buying more.

I'll quickly point out that personal preferences are what make this pastime go round, so just because I didn't care for the smoke, doesn't mean that someone else might like them a lot. My standard answer anytime I'm asked "...are XxXx any good..??....." is "try a couple, and you tell me.."... :cool:

Regards - B.B.S.

I bought the sampler and frankly was a bit dissapointed. Burn and construction were spot on, but the flavor was very two dimensional and I found it more or less boring. Since I smoke for taste, I don't think I'll be buying more.

Agree 125%

I have tried all the sizes, and the Robusto is the gem.

It isn't a fantastic cigar, but by far it is the best Macanudo.

I wouldn't smoke it every day, but I can see myself going back to it in the future.

It is definitely worth trying.

-Leo

That was very nice of you to save the dog and owner, not many people would do that.

I though the Mac 68 was a decent smoke wasn't bad, don't know if I'd a box or anything. I still have the churchill from their sampler.

Since I smoke for taste, I don't think I'll be buying more.

Regards - B.B.S.

I call BS, BBS. :angry:

The crushed velvet smoking jacket, the hand rubbed calfskin foreskin slippers, the inlaid gold lighter with matching diamond encrusted cutter - it's all about looks for you, pal. Stop blowing smoke up our arses and admit the truth - if the guys at the Polo Club saw you with the Macanoodle band, they just might not let you into their elitest club! Boorish snobbery...

:whistling:

I had one that was really decent and one that was just plain bad. Not sure if I got a good one and the other was normal or if I got a bad one, heh.

Well, Macanudo certainly has gone whole hog on promoting this one---my local B&M got tons of swag, including an illuminated sign, "Macanudo 1968" M&M's, plates, napkins, glasses . . . and free 'gars for lounge members. So I tried a toro, and found it pleasant.

Then I went straight into the humidor and got something with some BODY . . . the Mac '68 would make a decent morning coffee smoke, I think, and certainly the construction and burn were top notch, but I like much stronger fare, personally.

~Boar

I bought the sampler online and smoked all but the churchill and thought they were pretty good for the price. I went into a local B&M a month or so ago and saw them selling these for over $10 a stick!!! I am going to fire up my last one sometime next year and see how it is then.

Regards - B.B.S.

The crushed velvet smoking jacket, the hand rubbed calfskin foreskin slippers, the inlaid gold lighter with matching diamond encrusted cutter - it's all about looks for you, pal. Stop blowing smoke up our arses and admit the truth - if the guys at the Polo Club saw you with the Macanoodle band, they just might not let you into their elitest club! Boorish snobbery...

....now, hold the boat here, my friend. I got booted from the polo club due to my long hair, loud and boisterous manner, the liberal use of the "F" bomb, drinking whiskey from the bottle, and something involving a barmaid and a noisy go round we had in a coat room. Well, cutting cookies in the lobby in the administrator's Ferrari probably contributed as well. Had nothing, I repeat NOTHING to do with blazing a maka-noodle in the presence of those other socially limited folks. My god, man, get your story straight...... :laugh:

I tried a Mac 68 at a recent event and found it rather enjoyable. I did have slight burn issues it went out with about 1 1/2' remaining. I picked up 5 others but don't see myself purchasing a box. Instead I picked up a box of Fuente 8-5-8's :thumbs:

I had the Toro size and I wasn't impressed. It burned great, but the taste was very different and boring. I have written off all Macanudo's in my book.

I'd a bought tickets to watch that, there!

Regards - B.B.S.

....now, hold the boat here, my friend. I got booted from the polo club due to my long hair, loud and boisterous manner, the liberal use of the "F" bomb, drinking whiskey from the bottle, and something involving a barmaid and a noisy go round we had in a coat room. Well, cutting cookies in the lobby in the administrator's Ferrari probably contributed as well. Had nothing, I repeat NOTHING to do with blazing a maka-noodle in the presence of those other socially limited folks. My god, man, get your story straight...... :laugh:

I'll quickly point out that personal preferences are what make this pastime go round, so just because I didn't care for the smoke, doesn't mean that someone else might like them a lot. My standard answer anytime I'm asked "...are XxXx any good..??....." is "try a couple, and you tell me.."... :cool:

Regards - B.B.S.

Perhaps I'm biased by years of making and laying down good wines to let time bring out their essence. I could be completely wrong here, but the 1968 Macanudo seems that it will become a superior cigar over time. I'll wait a year or two and report back.

In the mean time, I've become quite enamored by the Hemingway Fuente compliments of a recent sale by Eric over at www.jackschwartz.com. These are rather hard to find, so given my narrow experience with the wonderful world of cigars - can B.B.S. or some of you more experienced aficionados guide me to cigars that are similar to the Hemingway?

hemingway.jpg

- Rick

In the mean time, I've become quite enamored by the Hemingway Fuente compliments of a recent sale by Eric over at www.jackschwartz.com. These are rather hard to find, so given my narrow experience with the wonderful world of cigars - can B.B.S. or some of you more experienced aficionados guide me to cigars that are similar to the Hemingway?

- Rick
Well, in the first place, I don't believe Hemi's are all that hard to find. We have several very good B&M owners that are also members of CP and I could name three or four off the top of my head that could probably fix you right up. These are the guys that I choose to patronize as often as I can. Holt's is another very good source and their catalogs usually have the entire Hemi line featured prominently.

"Something similar" is a bit tougher. Hemi's have a rather unique profile that will be rather hard to match. However, one cigar that is a favorite of mine, and definitely in the same league in terms of quality of roll, complexity of flavor, and IMHO overall "experience" would be a Padron 1964 Anniversary. Most guys really like the maduro's but more and more I find myself reaching for a natural wrap version. MMM has them featured in one of his great reference threads which you can find right here. Try a Torpedo or an Imperial or a Exclusivo and you tell us what you think..... :cool:

Take care - B.B.S.

These are about the reviews I expected from this cigar....some good, some ok, and some don't care for it. IMO that's been par for the course for Macanudo with everything they put out. Very little consistency and nothing that has a "wow" factor.