• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Balvenie DoubleWood 12 yo Scotch

AVB

Jesus of Cool, I'm bad, I'm nationwide
The second Balvenie review is one of their more common items unlike the hard to find 25 yo I reviewed eariler. Balvienie 25 yo Single Cask This scotch spends most of it's time in the standard oak barrel befor being transfered into a cask that was used for sherry wine, hence the Double Wood.
Like all Balvienie whiskey the DoubleWood comes in its own hard cardboard tube with the all of the pertinent information on it. In this case the listing shows that this malt is 86 proof and is 12 years old. You should be able to find a bottle for around $40.

Balvenie%20DoubleWood%2012.JPG

After a nice dinner of Basil Chicken stuffed with garlic (the wife goes nuts in the kitchen during the holidays) we relaxed with a movie on the big screen. One needs some time after eating garlic before drinking scotch IMO. After the flick I fired up an Ashton gifted to me and settled in with a few ounces of DoubleWood in my glass. Being a very smooth cigar, the Ashton compimented the complexity of the Balvenie fairly well but I think would go better with a slightly stronger scotch such as the Balvenie 15 yo Single Cask at 95 proof.

The color is a warm amber and noses very nicely with the sherry, rich and full with a hint of sweetness and a full body. Upon tasting you'll notice the mellow, rich flavors and smoothness. An interesting complexity of flavor is detailed of as you taste this very unique scotch. The time spent in the sherry cask is evident in the increased fullness over the Balvinie 10 yo Founder's Reserve.

Being a fan of William Grant distilleries (Balvenie and Glenfiddich) this is one of my "goto" scotches when I just want a something a bit more interesting than a standard 10 or 12 yo scotch. I can easily recommend this if you are looking for something a bit different then the normal 12 yo Glenlivet or Glenfiddich offerings.

Great review as always Bruddah AVB! I just got this bottle for Christmas and as soon as I'm fully recovered from this cold I'm looking forward to tasting this scotch.

Aloha,

Wade

Great job AVB on finding us a good, affordable and easy to find scotch, Thanks! :thumbs:

Wade

Try enough of that scotch and you'll feel better in no time!

FYI

HITIMEWINE.NET has the Balvenie 12 yo on sale for $28.99. It is normally $40.99. I ordered a bottle last week.

Take care, Bacchus

Good find Bacchus :thumbs: . I use Wine and Liquor Depot myself for when I have to order things. Their prices seem to be better on the non-sale items.

AVB said:
Good find Bacchus :thumbs: . I use Wine and Liquor Depot myself for when I have to order things. Their prices seem to be better on the non-sale items.
AVB:

Thanks for the website. Those prices are much better than anything I can find in my area and more than make up for the extra shipping costs. Who would have thought that California would be the mother load of inexpensive liquor? :)

Take care, Bacchus

Outstanding review - but your sig tag pic is better! (but please how can you get any better than that? :thumbs: ) :p

Sam

Sam,

Have a couple of shots of the reviewed scotch and look at my sig girl. That should make it better :p

Just had some of this last night......big difference compared to Macallan line. This seems to have a good bit more of a kick

Proof is the same but the Balvenie isn't in sherry casks for it's whole life like the MaCallan so it isn't as sweet. Not more kick but a very different flavor profile.

One of my favorites and go-to scotches...

Here is my review that I wrote on it earlire this year for another forum...

This scotch is very smooth and complex in flavor. Slightly sweet to start on the pallatte, then woody with a slightly tangy, almost a bit fruity finish to it. The best thing about this scotch is that it seems to go well with almost every cigar I have had with it... From the milder Ashton Heritage Puro Sol and Hoyo Epicure No 2 to the full flavored smokes of Padron Anniversaries and Partagas Serie D No 4. It even went well with a Connie No 9 maduro.

This scotch is very smooth and complex in flavor. Slightly sweet to start on the pallatte, then woody with a slightly tangy, almost a bit fruity finish to it.

Thats about what I get out of this scotch. I only poured about a 1/3 of the mini bottle. Its bourbon like and more complex than the Macallan.

Nose: Fairly light but don't know how to describe
Taste: woody, tangy
Finish: a little fruit
Overall: This one is hard to describe but its good and complex. I think I like this over the Macallan 12 because its not just sherry.

I think I'm going to pour a little Balvenie 15, 21 and maybe Glenlivet 12 to compare to this and the Macallan.

This scotch is calling my name and even though I have yet had the chance to sample this one, I think I may pick up a bottle in the next week or two.

Thanks again for the review.

Excellent review. I'd been trying the Doublewood at a favorite bar, liked it so much I bought a bottle. Really is a wonderful whisky.

Funny this thread got brought back up as I was perusing the scotch at my local shop today and noticed this was on sale so I decided to snag it. Hopefully I can enjoy a couple fingers tonight, sounds like a winner.

Feel free to post your take on this. The more viewpoints the better.

Well all I can offer is that this is probably my favorites scotch. Mainly because I can't afford much more expensive than this, but I figure if I enjoy it, why spend more money on something else right now? I would definitely recommend this to anyone who is looking to try a new scotch or just sampling like I am!

Brandon