• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Royal Island 17 Blended Scotch

AVB

Jesus of Cool, I'm bad, I'm nationwide
Royal Island 17 yo Finest Old Scotch Whisky, Isle of Arran Distillers, 700ml, 80 proof, not available in the US, currently under $70 imported.

Royal%20Island%2017.jpg

A sample from Handyman Dave of Royal Island that he bought in the June scotch buy. One of three blends made for the Japanese Market by Isle of Arran distillers, the others being a 21 and a 30 yo blend this is a very good priced blend that won't be duplicated any time soon.

A good day of cleaning gutters and yard work ending with a fine dinner of baked spiced chicken and garlic potatoes put me right in the relaxation mode to try out my sample. The nose light and soft with peach and grasses. Tasting shows little alcohol with a toffee and oat grain that reminds me of oatmeal cookies in some ways. The finish brings out a little alcohol and continues the toffee noticed on the tasting. It is a bit on the short side but still pleasant.

Overall a decent dram that is a good value for the age. I just might have to buy some myself.

It is a bit on the short side but still pleasant.

Overall a decent dram that is a good value for the age. I just might have to buy some myself.

With the dollar as strong as it is now, would you buy this before a single malt in the same price range?

Or, is the taste profile different enough to warrant a purchase?

*and thanks to HandymanDave for providing the fodder for another great AVB review.

Since I have damn near all of the single malts in that price range I would buy it. It's about the same price as Chivas 18 and just as good. Since blends can be every bit as good as single malts it's up to you if you want it.

With the dollar as strong as it is now, would you buy this before a single malt in the same price range?

Or, is the taste profile different enough to warrant a purchase?