• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Casa Magna

CigarMan Andy

Traveling Herf Man
Well, I was all excited about finding this cigar. I read a thread about it becoming the CA cigar of the year, but mostly because it was to replace the JdNA at SAG. The JdNA Belicoso has been my go to smoke for several years, and I was told that it was the same cigar, but at a less expensive price.

Length/Ring: 5 1/2 x 52
Shape: Robusto Perejo
Wrapper: Cuban seed Colorado wrapper
Strength: Full

So, I found six to try. When I arrived home, I opened the Robusto and noticed how oily and dark it was.

A.jpg

I use a double guillotine for a straight cut. The pre-light draw was sweet as if caramelized. The first puff was thick and smoky, still sweet with a slight spice. The burn was nice and even and the ash was strong, had nice light gray color and as I smoked it, you could see the even rings appear.

B.jpg

It took about 20 minutes to get to the second third which was smooth and creamy with underlined traces of a leathery spice coming out. The caramel was subtle, but still noticeable. The ash was so strong, I had to do an ashstand.

Ashsstand1a.jpg

Now about 45 minutes in to it, the spice took over. Not as full bodied as I expected, but very smooth. The burn stayed true and even except for a short moment, but self corrected itself quickly. I finally put it down after about an hour and ten.

D.jpg

I was satisfied and enjoyed this cigar, and will most likely smoke another one, but I was not convinced that this was the cigar of the year. Maybe with some age it will improve, but it was nothing like the Joya de Nicaragua Antono that I have come to love.

Somewhat complex: A pleasant and interesting experience: Worth trying:

Thanks, for the review, hope to get a few myself to judge whether this is the no1 cigar of 2008 for me!

Rene

Andy, AWESOME review!

I gotta go to OVTC and get some for myself and see what they are all about.

Well, I was all excited about finding this cigar. I read a thread about it becoming the CA cigar of the year, but mostly because it was to replace the JdNA at SAG. The JdNA Belicoso has been my go to smoke for several years, and I was told that it was the same cigar, but at a less expensive price.

Length/Ring: 5 1/2 x 52
Shape: Robusto Perejo
Wrapper: Cuban seed Colorado wrapper
Strength: Full

So, I found six to try. When I arrived home, I opened the Robusto and noticed how oily and dark it was.

A.jpg

I use a double guillotine for a straight cut. The pre-light draw was sweet as if caramelized. The first puff was thick and smoky, still sweet with a slight spice. The burn was nice and even and the ash was strong, had nice light gray color and as I smoked it, you could see the even rings appear.

B.jpg

It took about 20 minutes to get to the second third which was smooth and creamy with underlined traces of a leathery spice coming out. The caramel was subtle, but still noticeable. The ash was so strong, I had to do an ashstand.

Ashsstand1a.jpg

Now about 45 minutes in to it, the spice took over. Not as full bodied as I expected, but very smooth. The burn stayed true and even except for a short moment, but self corrected itself quickly. I finally put it down after about an hour and ten.

D.jpg

I was satisfied and enjoyed this cigar, and will most likely smoke another one, but I was not convinced that this was the cigar of the year. Maybe with some age it will improve, but it was nothing like the Joya de Nicaragua Antono that I have come to love.

Somewhat complex: A pleasant and interesting experience: Worth trying:

Very nice review indeed. I too am a raving fan of the JdNA's. My B&M has a couple of boxes of these and if you are interested in picking up some before they are no longer available, please let me know and we can arrange something.

Andy, AWESOME review!

I gotta go to OVTC and get some for myself and see what they are all about.

I picked some up at Georgetown Tobacco (Tysons location), but haven't had a chance to smoke them yet. GT is probably a bit more pricey for the same stick, but if OVTC is out, try GT.

I picked some up at Georgetown Tobacco (Tysons location), but haven't had a chance to smoke them yet. GT is probably a bit more pricey for the same stick, but if OVTC is out, try GT.

I frequent GT in Tysons every now and then. Work in McLean. How often do you go there?

Also, you ever go to the cigar place along rt. 7 (across from the Olive Garden, beside the EEE of Tysons). INSANELY expensive. I think they sell the Opus Fuente Fuente for $20 bucks. Goes to show you people in McLean and Tyson's have money and they don't really care about paying a premium for their smokes.

Andrew

Great review. I agree not the smoke of the year in my opinion. But hey for the price you cant beat it.

I frequent GT in Tysons every now and then. Work in McLean. How often do you go there?

Also, you ever go to the cigar place along rt. 7 (across from the Olive Garden, beside the EEE of Tysons). INSANELY expensive. I think they sell the Opus Fuente Fuente for $20 bucks. Goes to show you people in McLean and Tyson's have money and they don't really care about paying a premium for their smokes.

Andrew

That's Cigar World owned by Ali. He is a great guy. We've known each other for years. Tell him I said hello next time you go there.

Great smoke, we have had them in the store since launch and a bunch of our locals buy them all the time. Now they are hard to get and the manufacturer is out of cigars for a couple of weeks. The price on these are excellent and the blend is very good, the corona rated really high in the next CA. I am sure the belicoso will rate at 90 or maybe a little higher as well.

Nice review btw.

Andrew

That's Cigar World owned by Ali. He is a great guy. We've known each other for years. Tell him I said hello next time you go there.

I've noticed its a bit pricey there as well. I guess thats what happens when you have a better location than in the mall. I've only been once, and its because thats the closest place to me that sell cabaiguan. GT was selling Casa Magna for under 6 bucks, and I imagine OVTC would as well. Don't know if the one on 7 has them.

A friend gifted me one of these in a Toro size today and in honor of a 75 degree day with not a cloud in the sky and no winds, it was off to the deck with a book in hand.

I clipped the head, toasted the foot and it started off with a caramel/mocha blast, then it started to pick up a little spice and man, it was on from there. Two hours of unadulterated bliss with a couple of cups of black coffee.

After about 20 minutes I was hit with this very rich tobbacco and pepper while I could still taste the caramel and a slight bit of leather. Towards the end I picked up some coffee and roasted nuts.

Towards the final third it went out on me so I purged it and the flavors only became more complex. Man, I loved this stick.

Tons of rich smoke billowed from this lovely stick with nary a burn problem. Here's to hoping that the 5er BOTL Isy is going to provide me (once they come off back order) is just as good, fr if they are, it's a box of these for me!