• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

God of Fire 2006 Don Carlos Robusto

CigarMan Andy

Traveling Herf Man
Here we go again. As you know, I fell in love with the Carlito GOF 2006. I was asked how it compared with the Don Carlos. So I decided to buy a couple of the Robustos and see.

Length/Ring: 5.2" x 50
Shape: Robusto Perejo
Wrapper: Ecuadorian-grown wrapper
Strength: Full

The presentation of this cigar was as nice, just as the Carlito. The same artistic band wrapped around a beautiful smooth wrapper of mocha color. The cap was perfect and looking at the foot there was a difference. The oils that were present in the Carlito were not there. Still, a very nice looking stick.

GOFDCR1.jpg

As I really enjoyed the Carlito, I was looking forward to smoking Don Carlos, and so the adventure began. I used my Zino double guillotine cutter as usual with perejo and got a nice clean cut. The pre light draw was earthy. I toasted and light with a St. Dupont Xtend torch and I was off and running. My first puff had a very earthy flavor with a hint of floral traces. It seemed a little harsher than I expected. The burn was uneven at first. I waited to see if it would correct itself, but it needed a little help. It held a nice ash that stayed threw most of the first third.

GOFDCRburn.jpg

The second part of the smoke took on a slightly woody flavor. It seemed to be a med-full cigar. I was a little disappointed in the strength but the flavor was building. I tasted hints of coffee and leather. As I found my way nearing the nub, I realized that it was only about 45-50 minutes. The flavor was back to earthy with leather undertones.

GOFDCR2.jpg

All and all, I might have enjoyed it more if I had smoked it before I smoked the Carlito, but, it was kind of a let down to me. Don't get me wrong, it was a very nice smoke. Just not as good as the Carlito. To be fair, I will put a couple away and see if they just need more time in the humidor.

For now, I recommend the Carlito above the Don Carlos, but if you like Ecuadorian wrappers, you will love the Don Carlos GOF 2006.

Thanks for the review Andy. I'm going to have to get my hands on some of these to give them a try. Always wanted to but haven't pulled the trigger yet.

Nice review and pictures. I have yet to have any GOF but they are on my list. Hopefully before Spring, but there are some other purchases higher on the list.

Great review as always. May need to get me one of each to see if I get the same experience. Will probably try the Don Carlos first though.

Great review. I have a few of these put away. My B-Day is this Friday and I was going to smoke one to celebrate being 35 for the 10th time. Sounds like it has the flavors I enjoy. I look forward to it. :thumbs: Question for you. I have 2005's an 2006's, which would you recommend?

I picked up 5 a while back and smoked 1. My impression was similar to yours, good cigar, but I expected more. I will have to burn another when the weather warms up and see how it’s aged.