• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Hot Buttered Rum

AVB

Jesus of Cool, I'm bad, I'm nationwide
Something to make the winter nights a bit easier to take, especially if you have friends over. Here's what you'll need.

Hot Buttered Rum

1 stick unsalted butter, softened
2 cups light brown sugar
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon grated nutmeg
Pinch ground cloves
Pinch salt
Bottle dark rum
Boiling water

In a bowl, cream together the butter, sugar, cinnamon, nutmeg, cloves, and salt. Refrigerate until almost firm. Spoon about 2 tablespoons of the butter mixture into 12 small mugs. Pour about 2 ounces of rum into each mug. Top with boiling water (to taste), stir well, and serve immediately.

Any recommendation on the rum? I have a bottle of Sailor Jerry here that I am wanting to use, but it's 92 proof. Will that ruin the recipe?

TIA.

It shouldn't ruin the recipe. I've made this using Appleton Estate (my normal go-to rum), and Old Monk 7 yr (when I've been able to find it). Of those 2, I prefer the Old Monk because it has a nice vanilla / caramel taste to it. And it's pretty inexpensive at about $12 a bottle.

I've never made it using spiced rum but it should work. Bacardi Select was my norm for this but I have used Myer's too.

Any recommendation on the rum? I have a bottle of Sailor Jerry here that I am wanting to use, but it's 92 proof. Will that ruin the recipe?

TIA.

MMMM
I have not had this in years. I think I will have one this evening. It was 30 last night. Ice on my windows.
Perfect weather for this.
Thanks Ray!

This sounds really good and I've been looking for a replacement for the Hot Apple Pie drink.

*BUMP*

for all the east coasters who were shoveling this morning. I have another recipe I'd like to add to the thread.

Hot Brick

1 tsp butter
1 tsp sugar
3 pinches ground cinnamon
1 jigger (1.5 oz) hot water

Mix these in a small goblet and then add:

1 jigger fine whiskey
Fill glass with steaming hot water, serve hot

I make this with Jameson a lot of cold nights to keep me warm when I'm working at the bar, and it never lets me down. Multiply the ingredients for a longer day off.

I just read "hot" and "buttered" and didn't need to read anymore. It wasn't what I hope for but i am not disappointed. I will try this out as soon as I get my house back together following this week's renovation project. Thanks!

This sounds really good and I've been looking for a replacement for the Hot Apple Pie drink.

Can you tell us more about this drink?

Can you tell us more about this drink?

Here is a generic recipe.

I've never made it same twice. I usually use two gallons of apple juice and one cider so it's more of a drink than a shot. Sometimes adding some whole cloves. Don't add too much cider in exchange for juice or you get a cloudy separation on the bottom (it's just ugly looking). Make sure you strain off cinnamon and allow mixture to cool some before adding Everclear to reduce evaporation.

Serve hot or cold.

Thought I'd bump this up to the top since it's cold and snowy here and I'd like to try this recipe. Thinking about it makes me feel warmer already.

Traditionally, this needs to be served in pewter mugs with a glass bottom, so one can see the scurvy sea dog next to you when he tries to sucker punch you.
wink.gif

Doc.

Made it NYE. My brother-in-law liked it too. I still have some sugar/butter/spices mix. Will have one tonight. Made it with Meyers rum but will try Appleton Estates tonight.

Thanks again, Ray!

Wow, made the recipe listed by AVB and have had one as a night cap for the last two weeks!!!

Nice

Something to make the winter nights a bit easier to take, especially if you have friends over. Here's what you'll need.

Hot Buttered Rum

1 stick unsalted butter, softened
2 cups light brown sugar
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon grated nutmeg
Pinch ground cloves
Pinch salt
Bottle dark rum
Boiling water

In a bowl, cream together the butter, sugar, cinnamon, nutmeg, cloves, and salt. Refrigerate until almost firm. Spoon about 2 tablespoons of the butter mixture into 12 small mugs. Pour about 2 ounces of rum into each mug. Top with boiling water (to taste), stir well, and serve immediately.
Ray, I've made this so many times I can't count, yet I just noticed....

1 stick unsalted butter

Pinch of salt

I've always used salted butter anyway...but 😂

There is a lot more
Ray, I've made this so many times I can't count, yet I just noticed....

1 stick unsalted butter

Pinch of salt

I've always used salted butter anyway...but 😂
There is more salt in butter than just a pinch is the reason. It ain't a law, do what you like.