• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

The Balvenie 17 yo Islay Cask

AVB

Jesus of Cool, I'm bad, I'm nationwide
The Balvenie 17 yo Islay Cask, 750 ml, 86 proof, Presentation tube, $70-80.

Balvenie%20Islay%20Cask%2017.JPG

Once again a tie vote lead to a coin flip with #16 being the winner. This third Balvenie review is for one of the more unique versions of The Balvenie. The Islay Cask is made from Balvenie single malt that has matured in traditional oak casks for at least 17 years and then transferred it into just 94 casks that had previously held Islay single malt. After six months it was found the casks had imparted the desired amount of peaty notes, typical of Islay, while still retaining the distinctively honeyed character of The Balvenie.

A pretty mellow day overall, just did some electrical work, rearranged the liquor cabinet and did a little work in the garage. In general just taking it easy. Sometimes avoiding the to do list can be hard work and calls for a reward. This Balvenie was mine for the day :)

One would think that six months isn’t very long to sit in an Islay cask after being in it’s own oak cask for 17 years but it does seem to be enough. Like all Balvenie’s this one is very well rounded with a nosing of honey, mild spices but with a touch of smoke. The taste is a mellow combination of honey that Balvenie is known for along with a smokiness that isn’t present in other Balvenies. This makes for a wonderful finish that lasts a fairly long time. Sweetness on the top of the tongue but smoke on the sides.

If you are looking for something a bit different, this could be well worth seeking out.
:thumbs:

I guess Balvenie isn't too popular this week :(

Thanks for yet another great review. I've never tried any of the Balvenie's yet. This one seems like a great place to start.

Its sad this is the last shot of my bottle. I figured I would do a little review before its gone. Having drank plenty of Single Malt Scotches in my travels, this is one of my favorite to drink. I miss my Whisky swifter glass that I picked up in Scotland and accidently broke. :( Other key note is that I brew home brewed beer with Peat Smoked Malt, so my taste buds is very keen to pick up Peaty taste and transitions it takes in drinks.

Without further ado, here is my impression of this last shot since I picked this bottle up around 20th Dec 2003 in Edinburgh, Scotland at the Scottish Whisky Heritage Museum on the Royal Mile.

Swirling the whisky in my Glenlivet glass, it allows the it to breath and the first inhale I get is a nice, peaty smell. Its pretty dominate. When I first poured it, it did have a kinda sweet honeyish smell to it. But that has faded fast. On the palate, the peat really gets in your face, but the after taste after swallowing mellows out to a nice slightly roasted taste that makes me crave for more. The taste really hits on the middle of the tongue and lingers there long after the sip. Its definitely not as peaty as some of the Islay malts and is pretty friendly to the palate.

In closing, this bottle of Scotch is just wonderful. I would give it a 2 thumbs up for drinking. I've shared this bottle with many friends and have smoked it with many cigars. many have had a happy face after drinking this Scotch. It really can balance out a cigar and this whisky combination together. I just hope my review is adequate since its my first crack at one.

Always good to have multiple opinions. Too bad they don't make this any longer.

I cant really pick up on much else. Taste buds was killed off due to some chemicals I used to work around in a Hospital lab. Either way, it was good to the last drop. :D

This sounds like a tremendous combination.

Is this available stateside? My initial searches didn't turn up anything.

It hasn't been made in over a year so the only way you'll find it is on a dusty shelf somewhere. Once in a while it shows up on ebay if you want to pay about $100.

One place to check is in Scotland. Here is the link. You can verify if there is any bottles for sale. http://www.whisky-heritage.co.uk/

I've been there twice now. Excellent shop. Everytime I'm there, I see the $10k bottle of Scotch. I forgot who makes it and its in own sealed case, but would complete any Scotch Collection. I do remember its from the 1940's tho.

I know where to get one but I don't think it is worth the $168 (delivered) they are asking.

AVB said:
I know where to get one but I don't think it is worth the $168 (delivered) they are asking.
[snapback]249798[/snapback]​

Yeah $168 is just a tad high. Its good, but not that good.