• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Eagle Rare 17

AVB

Jesus of Cool, I'm bad, I'm nationwide
Eagle Rare 17 Kentucky Straight Bourbon, 90 proof, 750 ml., $40-45.

Eagle%20Rare%2017.JPG

Eagle Rare 17 is the older version of the Eagle Rare 10 and the extra 7 years are well worth it. A product of Buffalo Trace Distillery (formally Ancient Age) it is one of the growing numbers of "boutique" small batch bourbons that are coming out. Buffalo Trace makes a number of them. Besides the Eagle Rare, they also make W.L. Weller 19 yo, Pappy Van Winkel 20 and 23 yo and the Stagg 15 yo.

Eagle Rare suffers from some poor advertising, there are many sites that advertise this as single barrel bourbon but that isn't stated anywhere on the bottle or in anything printed I could find. I'd be surprised if it was due to the somewhat low proof for a single barrel product and the lack of a statement on the bottle.

While consistently rated over the last 3 years as one of the top 5 bourbons in the world almost all of the professional reviewers feel that there could be a bit more to this drink. I can't imagine where they would rate this if that last magical item was ever found. I'm hard pressed to say whatever that might be as it is really very, very good as it is IMO. The nose reminds me of fresh almonds hot in the bag on a cold winter day. The taste is clean with hints of licorice, leather and old oak that changes to almost a toffee flavor on the back of the tongue. After such a great beginning the finish lasts shorter then I would like but is still good with a vanilla? overtone on a peppery bottom.

Eagle Rare is a solid A performer, not as full as the A.H. Hirsh 16 or 20 yo nor as smooth as the Van Winkle 20 or 23 yo it is still an excellent example of the distillers craft and is well worth a try if you get the chance.

outstanding review...thanks!

I really do enjoy reading your reviews. I'm really starting to think about filling out my bar (actually, I'd have to start one first) and your reviews are starting to lite a fire under my arse :D .

thanks again!
Mike

Cigars and bourbon are part of the triple crown (golf being the tihird leg) and I have never had the Eagle Rare 17. It sounds like it is a must try! Thanks for the review.

Has anyone reviewed the Bulleit bourbon?

Thank you both for the kind words, keep an eye out for another bourbon review soon.

I haven't had Bulleit yet but if I can find a place that has some I'll give it a try and perhaps add it to the collection.

Bumping this to ask if you have ever had Eagle Rare 10 and if so how it compares to the 17? I LOVE this bourbon and have thought about picking up the 10 but I would like your opinion of it before I go out and drop the cash on a full bottle.

For me this is one of my go to bottles. It can get it here for $23 regularly. I just like the smooth mellowness to it and that it is very drinkable. I really enjoy the taste I guess. I know some others dont agree and there are many others that I like alot more its just I cant afford to regularly drink them. I would say if you like the 17 you will like the 10 at more than half the price.

Damon

For the price I think the Eagle Rare 10 is worth trying. I enjoy it. As expected, it's not nearly as good as the 17 though.

I've had a few of the ER 10 both old and new style bottles. It's $24 here in PA and I think it is worth it. As already stated its not as good as the 17 but not much is either.

Bumping this to ask if you have ever had Eagle Rare 10 and if so how it compares to the 17? I LOVE this bourbon and have thought about picking up the 10 but I would like your opinion of it before I go out and drop the cash on a full bottle.

2008 release BTAC Eagle Rare 17 yr old!

2oz pour in a Riedel Bourbon Glass

This pour is Autumn orange with some honey golden highlights! legs are very sticky and really cling to the side of the glass!

The nose on this years Eagle is stellar, with all the sweetness up front, cherries and praline with a hint of oak...you can smell this wood has had this nectar soaking in it for 17 years just in the nose! The tail end of the nose has a hint of orange zest almost tangy.

The first sip taste just like the nose would predict, sweet up front with the cherries, chocolate and the praline, it's all in there and very prominent. The mouth feel of this juice knocks the standard 10 year old Single Barrel out of the water, almost buttery on the tongue. This stuff reminds me of the Chocolate covered cherries we use to eat as kids around Christmas time. There's a hint of burn at the end as this bourbon will numb the side sensory buds on the outside edges of the tongue, I find it weird how each bourbons hit a different area on your palate.

The finish is short to medium with the sweetness fading into light oak, very pleasant and satisfying. This is a great pour as always, this year is no different than the years past. As Ray has stated many times before and I will agree, this bottle is really worth the money.

Cheers all!

Tony

P.S. after letting this rest in the glass for about 30 minutes you really get vanilla out of this pour, this was not there in the start.

Had some Eagle Rare 17 from this years release and really enjoyed it. Not as strong proof wise as some of the other BTAC releases, but VERY good.