• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Maker's Mark

AVB

Jesus of Cool, I'm bad, I'm nationwide
Maker's Mark Kentucky Straight Bourbon Whisky, 750ml, 90 proof, NAS,(about 6 YO) ~ $25, available nationwide.

Maker%27s%20Mark.JPG

Maker's Mark is known for producing a quality although unremarkable bourbon that is made in batches of 19 barrels or less by hand and rotating the barrels through the rickhouses to achieve a consistency they say is not found in other bourbons. It is a wheated mash bill that they use to achieve a smoother taste and less complexity then a rye mash bill, a trade they are willing to make.

First introduced in 1958 Maker's Mark is easily recognized with it's distinctive bottle and red wax seal, Also the spelling of Whisky without the "e" is noted but with the original family having a Scots background it is understood why they did it that way and not with the more American "Whiskey".

Nosing gives an oakiness mixing along with caramel, syrup and toffee. The first taste affirms the nose but evolves into a slight citrus almost lemony flavor before ending with a slight mintiness at the fairly short finish. Maker's Mark does exactly what it is supposed to do time after time - be a solid performer every time you pour some out and based on their sales that is fine with their fans. If you are looking for complexity, age statements, special bottlings, better versions, or higher proofs you have to look elsewhere. Until this year. Maker's Mark came out with their first new whiskey in over 50 years, Maker's Mark 46 which you can find in the review section shortly.

Overall a solid B performer. YMMV.

Thanks for the review. I've wondered what more educated palate's thought of Maker's Mark.
I have always found it to be very consistent. Although I've found other Bourbon's that I like more, I will always have a soft spot for this since it was the first Bourbon I ever tried, and first bottle of Bourbon I ever bought. :thumbs:

Thanks for the review. I've wondered what more educated palate's thought of Maker's Mark.
I have always found it to be very consistent. Although I've found other Bourbon's that I like more, I will always have a soft spot for this since it was the first Bourbon I ever tried, and first bottle of Bourbon I ever bought. :thumbs:

MadMonk, I'm right there with ya. I enjoy Makers from time to time but I prefer Knob Creek in my "everyday" class of bourbon. I would concur that there are more exciting bourbons out there but Makers Mark is a solid performer.

Thanks for your thoughts, Ray. I was curious how you felt about it. Looking forward to your MM 46 review.

Bill

Being someone who mainly enjoys scotch and tequilas, I must say, I'm a bit intrigued by this well-known. I've never had any, but may have to pick up a bottle for experimental purposes.
Thanks for the review :thumbs:

I use Maker's in my whisky sours. It's the best way to have a Maker's Mark!

I usually only enjoy a single malt, neat, when settling down for a stiff drink. Maybe I'll try some Maker's straight tonight. Thanks for the review AVB.

Didn't like it much straight, so I poured a whisky sour while grilling the chicken for fajitas. So good.

Syrup, that's what it is. I've enjoyed the MM I've had but always found it a little too sweet with not enough spice and or vanilla. It has it's place but it's a little too pricey for an everyday pour for me and WT101 and Buffalo Trace beat it in taste so that's what I usually go with. My grandpa used it for his Hot Toddys, so it's probably one of the first whisk(e)ys I recognized.

The sweetness is probably what makes it so good in a whisky sour. I don't use it for an everyday pour either, I agree that at $25 it doesn't go very far. But, when BBQing with friends, it's a good quality liquor to have on hand that won't break the bank.

I am generally a Gin guy, but if I am drinking any type of whiskey, it is Makers Mark.

There's a special place in my liver for Maker's Mark! It always seems to hit the spot after a long day of work and just about every bar has it.

There's a special place in my liver for Maker's Mark! It always seems to hit the spot after a long day of work and just about every bar has it.

If you like Maker's then you should try the Maker's 46 variety. A nice drink with a fuller flavor.

I saw the 46, and since Mad Men caused me to run out of my last bottle of go to bourbon, I picked one up. The first time I had some, I thought it was quite good. Remarkably good. There was a flavor that was very familiar, but I couldn't put my finger on it. My wife identified it as nutmeg, and I am inclined to agree. The second time I had some, I was hit with a very strong alcohol nose and flavor. I was thinking it may have been too long since I had hard liquor. I'd been pretty busy, and hadn't had any in a couple weeks. Maybe a few taste buds had to be killed off before I could really appreciate it again. I watered it down significantly, perhaps one part water to two parts bourbon, or even more, before I found it palatable. I believe the 46 only runs about 90ish proof, so this is obviously way more water than I would typically add. I look forward to seeing what others have to say about it, and hopefully, my second experience was just due to something I ate, or maybe allergy medicine or something similarly out of the ordinary.

I've never tried the "whisky" or the infused cigar. Thanks for the heads-up, Ray. I may try some.

The cigars are very popular with the uninitiated cigar smokers. When I worked part time in a humidor, I was amazed at how many people were adamant about choosing one for a "special" cigar because of the packaging(more red wax) and price($12). Name recognition from the well known whisky was the only reason I could attribute to this odd affinity.

Makers 46 will be my next purchase.

I've had one of the cigars and it was decent if you like those flavor infused smokes. A friend popped it out of his golf bag and I have to admit I was a bit impressed by the packaging...but I wouldn't pay that much for it.

The regular line of Makers Mark is on sale in Tucson (Total Wine) right now $20.99 for the 1.75 liter.
Holy cow!

The regular line of Makers Mark is on sale in Tucson (Total Wine) right now $20.99 for the 1.75 liter.
Holy cow!

Total Wine has some good deals. Last time I was there, I had planned to pick up the MM 46 but they were out. Did you notice if it was back by any chance?

This with a splash of decent ginger ale is a favorite of mine. Thanks for the review, Ray.

I like Maker's Mark a lot. Always have a bottle in the bar.

Maker's is my go-to bourbon. I can see how it's too sweet for some, but for my palate it's just right. A rocks glass, a couple of large ice cubes and a healthy pour. It doesn't get much better if you're looking for consistency and value. Familiarity in a glass...