• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

George T. Stagg's Bourbon

AVB

Jesus of Cool, I'm bad, I'm nationwide
George T Stagg, Kentucky Straight Cask Strength Bourbon Whiskey, 15 years old, 750 ml, 142.7 proof, about $40-45.

GTS%20Hazmat.JPG

George T. Stagg is one potent bourbon. 2002's best whiskey in the world is well worth finding. One of only 2 whiskies to recieve a 97 rating from renowned expert Jim Murray, the other being a 25 year old Ardbeg. He had this to say in the 2003 edition of the Whiskey Bible: "without a shadow of a doubt ... one of the two best whiskies it has ever been my luck and privilege to taste in nearly 30 years". Who am I to disagree?

This bottle is even a few proof higher than the first one I bought last year (136.4). There is no water cut and no filtering of this drink. While there is no age statement on the bottle I contacted the distillery to confirm that it is 15 years old.

Like a good scotch it becomes a bit cloudy when ice or water is added. You WILL add water to this, I found that a shot of water and an ice cube for every 2 shots of bourbon works best for me.

Bourbon gains strength as it ages because the new oak barrels absorb the water faster then the alcohol can evaporate thus increasing the proof. 15 years ago this cask was probably only 105-110 proof and clear. Now it is a deep amber 140+ proof bourbon lovers dream.

As strong as this is, once cut it is eminently drinkable. The nose of old tobacco, smoke, licorice and apples are released as the first drops of water are added. Tasting confirms what the nose sent to the brain. This is a very sweet bourbon but the sweetness carries the other flavors instead of masking them. The smoke is not the same as in Scotch, not the burning embers smoke but a smoke in the wind type smoke. I have no idea how a licorice taste shows up but it is there for me and seems to fit perfectly.

If George T. Stagg was cut like other whiskey to 94 proof you would have to take this 750 ml bottle, dump it into a 1 liter container and then fill it up with water. $40 a liter makes this a pretty good buy if you just compare volume. However, you only need to compare the taste and this $40 bottle becomes a bargain.

GTS bottlings and proofs:
2002 - 137.6
2003 - 142.7
2004 - 129
2005 (Fall Release) - 141.2
2005 (spring KY release) - 130.9
2005 (spring outside KY release) - 131.8
2006 - 140.6
2007 - 144.6
2008 - 141.8
2009 - 141.4
***** :thumbs: My highest recommendation.

I should just say "yes" but that would be mean :p

Try Kahn's or Hi Time

Hey AVB! do you know if anybody still has this available?

:cool:

I know .... and with a little bit of leg work I should have found it on my own, which I finally did. But you do have some great resources :thumbs:

Thanks for the Kahn's pointer :thumbs: . It seems that Hi Time isn't shipping spirits at this time :(

:cool:

You must be seeing the fall release finally making it's way up there.

I grabbed a bottle of this today for about 45 bucks, it is the fall 2005 bottling. I am going to enjoy this after my graduation from college along with a few single malts that I am looking for. Will report back in a few months, if I can wait that long.

I grabbed a bottle of this today for about 45 bucks, it is the fall 2005 bottling. I am going to enjoy this after my graduation from college along with a few single malts that I am looking for. Will report back in a few months, if I can wait that long.

That could be tough. I got a bottle as an xmas gift and it's long gone. This bourbon is just phenomenal.

That could be tough. I got a bottle as an xmas gift and it's long gone. This bourbon is just phenomenal.

Well, I can't seem to locate a bottle of this in Houston, which almost amazes me. Usually you can find anything at Specs, but they don't even think they'll be able to get any until October.

Any help?

Well, I can't seem to locate a bottle of this in Houston, which almost amazes me. Usually you can find anything at Specs, but they don't even think they'll be able to get any until October.

Any help?

That is pretty typical with this bourbon. It only comes out once or twice a year and then only on allocation. It is not something that can just be ordered...typically. October (after the Bourbon Festival) would be the next release date. Check and see what you local place is allocated for.

Thanks for the tip.. Its nice to know that my guy at THE liquor store knew what he was talking about. But then Specs is the largest chain in Houston, and Harold is the goto guy for that hard to find spirit.

I'll definitely get more information on when it will be in and how many they're allotted.

Thanks for the tip.. Its nice to know that my guy at THE liquor store knew what he was talking about. But then Specs is the largest chain in Houston, and Harold is the goto guy for that hard to find spirit.

I'll definitely get more information on when it will be in and how many they're allotted.

bottling of the 2007 George T. Stagg is underway at Buffalo Trace.

This year's bottling, the eighth in the series, is the highest proof of them all, at a whopping 144.8 proof! HazMat IV aged for 15 years, 6 months, in Warehouse I.

pulled from a bourbon forum.

and HOT DIGGITY DOG, my local B&M has an unknown year bottle that they recalled from a satellite location.

$48!! I'm on my way RIGHT NOW to get it..

Pics later!!

and HOT DIGGITY DOG, my local B&M has an unknown year bottle that they recalled from a satellite location.

$48!! I'm on my way RIGHT NOW to get it..

Pics later!!

$48 bucks.....that's just wrong are you sure it wasn't $84 and the clerk is dyslectic.....lucky bastid. I drank one bottle and would love to find another, just hasn't happened yet.

The 2007 version of George T. Stagg (the 8th one) was bottled on August 22nd and should be hitting the shelves in about 2-3 weeks. It is the highest proof one yet even beating out the Hazmat version of a few years ago. This one is 144.8 proof and 15 years, 6 months old. The list price is $55 from what I've heard.

Has anyone any insight on where to buy a bottle? I ran through my bottle and am not particular about the year, but I would love to have another bottle to drink.

Thanks for any suggestions offered.