• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Johnnie Walker Blue Label

AVB

Jesus of Cool, I'm bad, I'm nationwide
Johnnie Walker Blue Label Blended Scotch. Presentation box, 80 proof, 50, 70, 75 or 100 cl bottles, $150-200 for the 75 cl size.

Johnnie%20Walker%20Blue%20Label%2021.JPG

This is the 4th and last Johnnie Walker review from my collection.

To say that Johnnie Walker Blue Label is presented as befitting the top of the JW line is an understatement. First is the slipcase, the "silk" lined fitted box with gold lettering, the 20 page booklet, the old style green glass bottle with a little metal fob and lastly the individual serial number for each bottle. The bottle I'll review is #R684627JW.

This weekend I built a deck for my picnic table (see that thread
here) and at about 8 Sunday night I went out and christened it with a glass of JWBL and a Macanudo Gold Label Robusto (the shortest cigar I owned).

This is a thinking man's scotch. There is so much going on that to pick out all the flavors and accents can take an hour for just a shot. On the other hand, the blenders art is so refined that if you don't care to think you still have a very smooth enjoyable drink that is noticeably better then almost any other blend.

There is no age statement on the box and that means that there are some young whiskies in the blend. However, a number of sources have hinted that some of the whiskies used in JWBL are up to 50 years old. I can believe it as there is a smoothness and depth that I've only found in very aged whisky previously.

Pouring a careful shot into my glass I swirled it around a bit to release the aromas hidden within. Hints of smoke, fruit, licorice, oak and faded flowers rose up out of the glass to caress my nose. Upon first taste there are the flavors of malt, fruit (pears?) and nuts with a dash of ginger. These take a few seconds to fully develop as your taste buds go exploring this marvelous whisky. The finish of smoke and fruit lasts quite a long time as it slowly fades from your tongue. Can you tell I like this? :thumbs:

As one of the 4 ultra top of the line blended whiskies currently in the world (Ballantines 30, White & Mackay 30 and Cutty Sark 25 being the other 3) JWBL holds it's own. While not for everyone and certainly not for everytime Johnnie Walker Blue Label is a whiskey enjoyed best with accomplishment. When you know you deserve a whisky as fine as this and have the time to savor it, Blue Label will not let you down.

Edit: Spelling

Great review AVB. I actually had some JWBL Thursday night along with a CoRo to celebrate the birth of my friends 1st child. He bought the bottle about 4 years ago when he got married and decided to save it till he had his 1st child.

So what did you think of it? Did your impression match my review or am I off in left field someplace :)

AVB said:
So what did you think of it? Did your impression match my review or am I off in left field someplace :)
I don't have anywhere near the trained palette that you have ??? I took my time with it and enjoyed it very much. Not sure if I would spring for a bottle of it though. I'll try it again as I continue to grow my Single Malt collection. The bottle is opened now so we no longer need an excuse other than some good cigars :)

Have seen the ads for it, always wondered what it was like. Thanks, AVB for another terrific review. Gregor

sweet review!

am a fan of the black label.
it is my go-to for when I am just hanging out and a double is a good birthday present to a friend.

always wondered about the Blu tho.

:thumbs:

As far as blends go, JWBL is one you truly can't go wrong with. Although that is an EXTREMELY difficult thing for a single-malt devotee like myself to say, I must admit it's quite accurate. I was just abroad recently and found JWBL for $85 per bottle (75 cl) at a legit business. At that price, I do kick myself for not having picked up a few bottles. It looks like I may have to get a few bottles next month when I go back, just to hand out to friends (I have NO blends in my arsenal and, for better or worse, I can't seem to ever get myself to change that). However, when push comes to shove, when it comes time to make the purchase, even if its a gift item for friends, I know I'll start considering the superior (IMHO) alternative choices (i.e., single malts) out there for the same amount of dough. :)

An excellent and eloquent review AVB. Thank you!

Johnnie Walker Blue Label is a whiskey enjoyed best with accomplishment. When you know you deserve a whisky as fine as this and have the time to savor it, Blue Label will not let you down.

Thats a great way to put it! :thumbs:

Looking for something to celibate the rug rat with?

I recently had the opportunity to try this. I found it to have a little more bite then I was expecting. I don't think I like as much as do the 12 year old single malts I have been trying lately. However I only had one drink and will give it another try, thanks for the review.

I bought my first bottle of this today, and it did not disappoint.

I really can't even begin to describe it other than to say, wow.

I keep waiting for Hillbilly's review but I guess he's still a little busy.

I think we are all looking forward to his opinion on JWB. I have yet to share a glass of this with anyone that didn't enjoy it's flavor. Even non scotch people.

This stuff is simply amazing. I bought a bottle of it about a month ago and have been savoring every drop. :D

I attended a $5.00 JW tasting a few months back. It was quite fun, we got to sample each JW blend.
2100697653_ac075ce21b.jpg

Sorry about the quality of the pictures they were taken on a camera phone.

2100697627_ed7161f77e.jpg

This was the setting they had in front of each attendee. The gold and blue dots were filled with a glass of the same blend with much fan fair as some really captivating advertising that was projected on each screen around the room. It was 360º of marketing really.

AVB, your review of the blue label is great. I remember tasting some of the fruit and smoky flavors but I think you picked up much more than my novice palette can.

Had the pleasure of tasting the Blue Label yesterday, now i have to buy a bottle.

I will do it this weekend. We have no plans, and no company! :thumbs:

I just wanted to make sure when I make an attempt at doing this review, I do it right!