• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Elijah Craig Single Barrel 18 yo

AVB

Jesus of Cool, I'm bad, I'm nationwide
Elijah Craig 18 yo Single Barrel Bourbon, 90 proof, flask style bottle, 750ml, $40-50.

Elijah%20Craig%2018.JPG

The older sibling to one of the best buys in bourbon, Elijah Craig 12 yo, is itself a good deal. An 18 yo Single Barrel Bourbon for $40 is a great buy too. The decorative bottle is a nice change over the standard square or tall round styles of other brands also.

This particular bottle came from barrel 832 and was barreled on 7 January 1983. Being a fairly new product and the fact that I didn't buy it until February 2004 probably makes this closer to 20 years old instead of 18.

We had a nice dinner of lemon pepper pork chops and afterwards I went out to fire up a CAO Black. Sitting outside watching the world go by seemed to make short use of the Black but in reality it took an hour to smoke. Not wanting to end the mood I cracked open my EC 18 and poured a few fingers to take back outside with me.

Being that I still had my senses involved from the cigar my nosing and tasting notes are most likely a little skewed. That being said, this EC nosed a typical bourbon honey sweetness and perhaps roasted almonds in the background. The taste was full, round and smooth both before and after the alcohol burn. Not being as forward as the EC 12 yo you can taste the rye a bit more and the vanilla flavor that forms after the swallow.

Altogether a different bourbon then the younger version, more refined and subtle but not necessarily better just different. Good for a change of pace or when the mood calls for something smoother, Elijah Craig 18 yo Single Barrel is a worthy addition to any bar. :thumbs:

Another great review AVB :thumbs:

I've been looking for Elijah Craig in my local stores for the past 5-6 months with no luck :(

Haven't tried the 18yr old yet, there is a bottle or 2 of the 12 yr always in the bar. :thumbs:

Thanks for another great Bourbon review. I wish the State Liquor Stores here had this stuff. I'll have to go mail order.

I went to the local liquor store during lunch today and had him order me 2 bottles.....should be in tomorrow :thumbs:

Fast,

2 bottles of the 18 yo or one of the 18 and one of the 12?

lucasbuck said:
Thanks for another great Bourbon review. I wish the State Liquor Stores here had this stuff. I'll have to go mail order.
Have a look here A bit high for the 12 but low on the 18.

Thanks again for the review and the acquisition info.

Well I guess I need to get one of these now. I still think I'll pick up a JD Single Barrel as well. Maybe I can order both online somewhere. Living near times square my local liquor store is a huge tourist ripoff and only a last resort.

Ohhh, 2 bottles. I'm jealous :p :0

Post a review once you crack one open, I'd like to see if you agree or not with mine.

AVB said:
Ohhh, 2 bottles. I'm jealous :p :0

Post a review once you crack one open, I'd like to see if you agree or not with mine.
I has to special order it so I figured I might as well get 2 in case I like it :p

I figured I'd dredge up this thread with my question vice starting a new one. I found a bottle of Elijah Craig Single Barrel 18 today and picked one up. I opened the packaging and checked the back of the bottle....It was barreled on 11/4/1980, and was barrel no. 1531. Seems strange to me that it would be sold as 18 and it was in the barrel for what i assume for probably 25-26 years (I wouldn't think it would have been in the bottle more than a year or two). Is this normal. Also, my barrel no. is a higher number than other ones given, but my bourbon was barreled earlier. I'm confused. Thoughts?

Aubrey

Probably just old stock. Your Barrel number might be based on the physical year and not strictly a count from 1 to whatever. In talking to some folks who actually bottle it they all say that the last five years of the 18 are actually in the 19 to almost 20 yo range. The Mitchters 10 yo is another older then it is stated, they are supposedly in the 16 yo range.

I figured I'd dredge up this thread with my question vice starting a new one. I found a bottle of Elijah Craig Single Barrel 18 today and picked one up. I opened the packaging and checked the back of the bottle....It was barreled on 11/4/1980, and was barrel no. 1531. Seems strange to me that it would be sold as 18 and it was in the barrel for what i assume for probably 25-26 years (I wouldn't think it would have been in the bottle more than a year or two). Is this normal. Also, my barrel no. is a higher number than other ones given, but my bourbon was barreled earlier. I'm confused. Thoughts?

Aubrey