• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Aberlour 15 yo Sherry Wood Finish Scotch

AVB

Jesus of Cool, I'm bad, I'm nationwide
Aberlour 15 yo Sherry Wood Finsh, Standard bottle with box, 750 ml, 86 proof, about $40.

Aberlour%2015.JPG

This is the newer bottling of Aberlour 15 yo Sherry Wood Finish, the older ones from 3 years ago or more (give or take) were only 80 proof. This particular version (Sherry Wood Finish) of Aberlour is one of the higher rated median aged scotches available, a position it has held for quite some time, one taste and you'll see why.

Steaks on the grill, corn in the pot and apple pie for desert followed by a Gurkha Master's Choice Maduro (not the Master's Select some of you may know but a "limited edition" version) put me in the mood for some scotch to relax with. Out came the Aberlour and 2 fingers went into the glass. Aberlour is a darker amber color along the lines of Bowmore Darkest, both getting their color from the Sherry Casks they are stored in. The nose is smooth, mellow and one can tell this was definitely stored in Sherry casks. It has that sweetness that only Sherry can bring to Scotch, quite an intoxicating aroma. Michael Jackson the famed reviewer said that the taste is the "Perfect balance of sherry and the malty, spicy, house character", something even the equivalent MaCallan didn't get. I found that the flavors started slowly but built until one could detect, spices, oranges and the sherry. The finish is very long with a spicy and almost minty end. Not really mint but that's what I'm reminded of.

This is a thinking man's Scotch, there are so many subtleties to find and enjoy it would be a shame just to drink it down without exploring. A perfect drink to go with reading your favorite book. :thumbs:

Where are you Mac and MC? You must have tried this before. :D

Actually, not had this one, for Aberlour I only had the 10 yr old and the cask strength. got a couple on my want list though....dunno if I have had the Macallan either, but I am a huge fan of the Glendronah 15 sherry cask...hope to have a new review later this week...been madhouse around here lately

Slainthe

PaulMac

AVB said:
Where are you Mac and MC? You must have tried this before. :D
Greetings! Am finally back after a well-spent get away to Cabo and Costa Rica. I have tried this one and, truthfully, it's one that I always keep on hand. As usual, AVB's take on it is dead-on.

The Wifey just purchased a bottle of this for me as a late Christmas gift ..... WOW!! this is fantastic stuff AVB!! and it's my first Scotch. Oh no ...... this is could be a dangerous road I'm headed down :whistling:

:cool:

Just remember not to try and drink a bottle during dinner. :whistling:

Looking forward to getting a bottle of this! It's on my list.

I keep a bottle of Aberlour 10 on hand for my non-scotch drinking poker buddies who tend to polish a bottle off in a night. They really enjoy it and I can get it for around $25 so no tears shed when it's gone. This sounds like a poor I would like to get my hands on for myself.

Thanks for the review! I've been an Aberlour fan for almost a decade now.

I keep a bottle of Aberlour 10 on hand for my non-scotch drinking poker buddies who tend to polish a bottle off in a night. They really enjoy it and I can get it for around $25 so no tears shed when it's gone. This sounds like a poor I would like to get my hands on for myself.

Man, where are you getting this for $25? I just got a bottle for $35 at a local store. And this is suppose to be a liquor "supermart" where prices are cheap!

Come to think of it, they wanted over $50 for the 15 yo...

$27 is the cheapest for the 10 I found and $44 for the 15 currently. You also have to remember that this review was written 2 1/2 years ago and prices change.

$27 is the cheapest for the 10 I found and $44 for the 15 currently. You also have to remember that this review was written 2 1/2 years ago and prices change.

So, I like the Aberlour, a lot, and am probably going to need another bottle soon. What else would you reccommend with a similar taste profile.

:cool:

Man, where are you getting this for $25? I just got a bottle for $35 at a local store. And this is suppose to be a liquor "supermart" where prices are cheap!

Come to think of it, they wanted over $50 for the 15 yo...

A nice little place here always has great deals. Right now they have the Aberlour 10 for $23.99, and the HP 18 is $49.99.

AVB,
Was this replaced by the 16 year old? I cannot find this one in the stores.

I think the 16 is great and plan to pop the cork on a'bunadh after dinner.

Yep the 16 is the new 15 although I don't think it is quite as good. Real close though and certainly better then the 12 but the price of the 16 is A LOT more then the old 15.