• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Macallan 12yo Single Malt Scotch

AVB

Jesus of Cool, I'm bad, I'm nationwide
Macallan 12 yo Single Malt Scotch, 750ml, standard bottle, presentation tube, 86 proof, about $36-40.

Macallan%2012.JPG

One of the most widely known and popular scotches in the world, Macallan has set the standard in sherried malts. There are seemingly a hundred variations of ages, bottles, sizes and even strengths available. This 12yo version changes from 80 to 86 proof depending on when it was bottled.

There is nothing worse than working late on a holiday weekend except if you had to work the weekend or had someplace to go. Fortunately, I had neither but that didn't make me feel much better. I got home with enough time to put the final coat of sealer on the floor I am refinishing and then to have a drink before dinner.

Young Macallan (compared to the Top Dog 25 & 30 yo) always has a big full sherried nose with less oak then the older versions. Sherry, orange, malt and a bit of smokiness fill the glass in a delightful combination. The taste is just what you'd expect and follows the nose almost exactly. If you are one who cuts your scotch with a bit of water you'll notice even a little more sherry and and a hint of smoke. This Macallan finishes with long light oaky undertones and a bit of wine tannic and some spices. Overall a good balancing act between the flavors. Is the 18 yo worth more than double the price? Your tastebuds will have to make that determination. I say get them both :) :thumbs: I'd also recommend the Cask Strength at about $50 as a good variation too. If you are a Scotch drinker it's hard not to have a bottle or two or three of Macallan on the shelf.

Thanks for the review, AVB. Gonna' have to pick up a bottle, thinking cask strength though.

Thanks for another great review AVB :thumbs:

I still have yet to purchase a bottle of Macallan. I've had quite a bit of the 12yr and will probably wait until I can get an older Macallan before I actually purchase one

I bought a bunch of minitures yesterday and the only scotch I have ever tried was Macallan 12 and Glenlivet 12. That was before I liked any liquor, so I'm revisiting those two and picked up the balvenie set with the 12 doublewood, 15 single barrel, and 21 portwood (all 50ml). Being a newb to liquor, 25ml is good for me so I will get to taste it twice.

Macallan 12 year old

Nose: Sherry, slight nuttiness and oak
Taste: Sherry, nutty
Finish: wine, oak, a little bit of fruit
Overall: Better than I rememeber, which may be because I'm drinking it out of a bourbon glass and not the mini bottle. The nuttiness may be just a stronger oak taste and oak a lighter oak taste. I looked at AVB's review first so it helped put the taste into words.

Great review. I've had Macallin 12yo & 18yo and love them both. I've also been able to find the 12yo at around $42-$43 a bottle. Great buy IMO.

Thanks for the review. I've tasted the 18 year Macallan, and thought it was terrific. I will definately pick up some 12 to try.

Definitely a fan of Macallan 12yo. Consider it my "daily drinker" of scotches.

Now if I am out to dinner for work, and someone else is picking up the tab, I have known to become quite fond of the 18yo and the 25yo.

I would splurge myself once in a while for the 18. However, the 25 would be hard to justify at this point in my life.

Dammit :angry: Who's topping old threads!! :angry: :angry:

BAD FORM!!!!! :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry:

Just kidding wilmotrogers :laugh:
I had to say something 'cause I just posted somewhere else that around here we generally like it when people find old threads and add to them. :thumbs:

If the comments are about a current product and there are no other threads I don't have a problem with topping them. I think that this especially applies to the booze reviews as it gives more perspective on the product. JMHO

Great review...I was very happy to find this as I just received a bottle as a gift. Looking forward to trying it out on Turky Day.

Thats a great review. I have had the 12yo but not ventured to try the 18 yet. I do like the 18 but for the money have found the Cask Strength to be a better buy. I will say this about the cask strength though: if you have never drank it before, that stuff can put some hair on your chest!!

I will say this about the cask strength though: if you have never drank it before, that stuff can put some hair on your chest!!

Remind me to never let my wife try this... :D.

I'm a newbie scotch drinker. So is my dad, but he has more years. Raising three boys he didn't have a lot of money while we were growing up so I try to buy him a bottle of something decent for his birthday or Christmas.

A couple years ago I got him Macallan 12 yr and we tried it together. My father is pretty diehard Glenfiddich and this was not at all what he was expecting. It was very, very smooth and the sherry taste was very evident. I could have used a little less of the sherry taste and really would have preferred it to be a 'hint' as opposed to what it was, but it wasn't so powerful to ruin anything. Overall, I really liked it, and outside of the glenlivet/glenfiddich/JW scotches which are very accessible to me, this is my favorite.

I've read that this is a good scotch for newbies who want to try something a little more complex but don't want to be scared off and I think this fills the bill just right.

Great review...I was very happy to find this as I just received a bottle as a gift. Looking forward to trying it out on Turky Day.

And 6 months later, I finally decided to sit down and give it a try. This was my first Scotch I have ever tried, and I must say, it was very good.

I definately picked up the orange/citrus smell on the nose along with what to me smelled like hay/straw. The taste definately matched the smell, and the finish was spicey, reminding me of pumpkin pie spice.

It was a great experience trying this for the first time, and it is something I can see myself enjoying from here on out as well. :thumbs: