• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Van Winkle Family Reserve Rye

AVB

Jesus of Cool, I'm bad, I'm nationwide
The Van Winkle Family Reserve Rye, standard bottle, no box, 95.6 proof, about $45.

VWFR%2013%20Rye.JPG

Although listed at 13 years old, bottler Julian Van Winkle says that it is a bit over 15. Why they don't say 15 years old is something I've not figured out but the Van Winkle's aren't the only ones doing this. (See my Rowan's Creek review).

This is a full-bodied Rye that is very apparent in the nosing. Cherry, orange chocolate and a touch of mint rise up and meet you full face saying, "I am not to be ignored!" The tasting is a fine mixture of oaky sweetness, fruity overtones and the bite of rye all seemingly taking their proper turn in your mouth. This is a smooth rye that has less alcohol "bite" then one would think for something 96 proof. The finish is one of rye slowly turning into a cherry sweetness that lasts for a fairly long time.

This, along with the fast disappearing 13 yo A.H. Hirsch, Sazerac, and some Classic Cask years, is one of the best Rye Whiskies you can buy. The age gives a depth that Jim Beam and Wild Turkey Rye just seem to miss on. I can't imagine a bourbon drinker that wouldn't like this drink. Highly Recommended. :thumbs:

I've never drank rye whiskey. AVB you have talked me into buying a bottle.

Thanks for the review. :thumbs:

I’ll give you my personal guarantee, if you don’t like this rye I’ll buy it from you. Can't beat that. :p

gregor22 said:
Can't beat that! Sounds like something I'll have to try.
Let me know if you can't find it, I'll hook you up.

That's the one.

I recently had a herf at my house, and one of the guys brought 4 bottles of Van Winkle. It was not the rye but the bourbon. It was outstanding. It was a nice line up of some very old aged up too some young.

I believe Van Winkle has 5 Bourbons. A 10, 12, 15, 20 and 23 year old. I have the last 3 but I haven't opened my 23 yo yet. The 15 and 20 are really good though.

The BTI raves about the 12 Yr Special Reserve, rating it highest of the bourbons.

I'm not much of a bourbon drinker but I may have to try that at some point, since it only runs $31 and the other Van Winkle bourbons are so highly talked about.

I picked up a bottle of this stuff along the Four Roses Single Barrel...and I must say on both counts that I'm very glad I did!

I'm really glad I read your threads, ABV. :thumbs:

Oddly enough, that is what is in my glass right now. I will concur, one of the best ryes if not the best I have ever had. If you cannot afford this bottle try the Mitcher's (sp). Not as good, but a nice rye none the less.

There are two Michter's so be careful about your statement. The one below is quite good and really about 18 years old and not the 10 it says. I'm guessing you're talking about the other one which I agree is not as good as the Pappy.

Michters%2010%20Rye.JPG

Oddly enough, that is what is in my glass right now. I will concur, one of the best ryes if not the best I have ever had. If you cannot afford this bottle try the Mitcher's (sp). Not as good, but a nice rye none the less.

I just ordered another two bottles of the PVW 20yo bourbon. Until I started reading AVB's reviews, I hadn't been drinking much hard stuff, but things have changed here. Since I have not had any Rye whiskey before, I'll order a bottle of the PVW 13yo Rye when I pick up the others. Ray, thanks for the reviews and the A. H. Hirsch!!!