• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Blair Athol 28yo Cask Strength

AVB

Jesus of Cool, I'm bad, I'm nationwide
Blair Athol, 28 yo Signatory Bottling, Dumpy bottle, Presentation box (really quite nice), 107.8 proof, unavailable in the US, about $125 delivered from the UK.

Blair%20Athol%201975.JPG

Blair Athol is one of the unknown distilleries here in the US. While fairly modern and large with 8 stills most of it's product goes into Bell's blends in the UK with only a small amount released as an official distillery bottling, usually at 12 years old. There is a rare 27 yo official bottling that was released last year and has already sold out. Thankfully, Blair Athol is not against selling some casks to the independent bottlers like Signatory, Cadenhead or the Hart Brothers.

This particular bottle is #124 of 161 and was distilled on the 22nd of May 1975 and bottled on 18 January 2004 from cask #6378. One of the nice things about the independent bottlers is that they usually provide much more information about what you are buying than the official entries.

The wife and I went to the opening of a new Italian bistro in a town about 8 miles up the road. Anything that faintly resembles civilization always piques our interest and since this was really close (compared to driving 50 miles to Baltimore) we had to go. Northern Italian cuisine is not my favorite but it was prepared well and was easily better than anything else in the area. The pastry was really the best part as it was very good and flavorful. After coming home and doing a little yard work I settled in with a glass of this scotch over an ice cube. Usually I don't use ice or water but in this case the nosing was helped considerably with the addition of the ice cube.

The nose is a mixture of Sherry, honey, malt and oak. Having sat in Sherry casks for 28 years you would think the Sherry would be the strongest but it is very well balanced with the other scents. Tasting confirms something I have never before found in any scotch. Coconut! How this is done is beyond me but it does seem a bit odd at first. Once the initial surprise of the coconut flavor is gone you will find it well blended with the smoky, sherry, honeyed mix. The finish lasts quite long with a sweet oak taste lingering on the sides of the tongue.

Overall, a nice dram and well worth the asking price, easily able to hold it's own against others in the same price range.

Never had coconut flavor...ranks right up there with the berry flavors in Bowmore Dusk on the weirdness scale, nice review as always AVB

PaulMac

I have to agree that the Dusk and Dawn are a bit different. I'll take the Darkest anyday.

Strangely, the coconut doesn't seem out of place after the first sip but was a shock that very first time.

My dealer has 1 left if anyone is interested.

AVB said:
Blair Athol, 28 yo Signatory Bottling, Dumpy bottle, Presentation box (really quite nice), 107.8 proof, unavailable in the US, about $125 delivered from the UK.
However, the exchange rate really is bad at the moment so I'd say $133-135 for this bottle. I'll PM you with some other info.

Thanks, AVB! And I'm really not trying to get your post count higher for your contest.

I finally got to try the sample of this yesterday. Amazingly complex. This is some seriously great scotch. Wonderful, thanks Ray! :thumbs: