• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

The taste of a pipe

Rod

Administrator
Staff member
When you smoke a pipe with good tobacco, do you actually taste the flavor of the tobacco? I bought a few bags of generic "USA PRIDE" tobacco a few years ago and tried pipe smoking, but the experience wasn't that great. It just tasted sweet, but not flavorful. I'm sure it was the quality of tobacco. It's probably comparable to smoking a swisher.

I'm overwhelmed by the amount of variety there is in pipe tobacco. I don't have a sweet tooth. I do like the idea of trying new "flavors" but not sure exactly what. Something mellow yet flavorful. So I guess my question is, when you buy pipe tobacco, how do you know what to buy, and what it should taste like? What does good tobacco taste like? Let's say, cavendish for instance...

Thanks,
Rod

I'm not going to attempt to describe tobacco flavors to you Rod. I will recomend that you try a small tin of Frog Morton on The Town, Dunhill Early Morning for starters. Both are fairly mild with the Dunhill probably a bit stronger. That will give you a starting point. I'm sure there are several others out there and some of our members will speak up about them.

Thanks for the info. I know this is a whole lot different than smoking cigars. This will be a fun new hobby. :)

My dad smoked a pipe and I used to try it once in a while. I didn't care for it as all I remember was how it burnt my tounge. Now, that was a long time ago, but I just never had any urge to try it again. I do love the smell of a pipe, especially when I'm sitting in the local shop.......... :D

Frog Morton is an EXCELLENT recommendation! They have several blends even within the Frog Morton brand. . . On the Town, ON the Bayou, etc.

But let me say something else about taste. . . .

The pipe can make a WORLD of difference. The first 8 to 10 years I smoked a pipe, I smoked "drug store" brand tobacco and a Dr. Grabow pipe. I thought "A pipe is a pipe is a pipe. . . ." (Sorta like a cigar is a cigar is a cigar. . .LOL) Anyway, one day I was out of town and didn't have my pipe. Walked into a Pipe Shop and asked if they had a "cheap pipe".

The wise man behind the counter said. . ."Well, I have some $30 pipes here, but have you ever tried an Estate pipe?" He explained that estate pipes were "used" pipes, but that he had cleaned each one carefully. (And they were very very clean.)

I purchased an estate pipe for $35 that would have cost me$65 to $75 new. I then loaded the pipe, thanked him, and left. I drove about four blocks away and lit the pipe. . . WOW! ! ! What a difference!

I turned around and went back to thank the guy. He said " Well, if you like that, try some really good tobacco instead of that stuff you are smoking." Well, I took him up on it, bought some good stuff, and WOW! ! ! Talk about an experience.

A few weeks later, I was in another shop and mentioned the experience to a Pipe Store owner I knew well. Showed him the pipe, and he said "Well, if you stepped up a level or two with your pipe, you would be even more impressed." I bought my first Cavicchi right there, and BOY . . . HAVE I BEEN HOOKED SINCE!

It is sort of like transportation. . . .

You can travel from New York to L.A. in a Yugo and probably get there fine. . .but if you go in a Cadillac, the difference is INCREDIBLE! ! ! !

HAPPY SMOKES ! ! !

STEVE

Some definitely excellent advice. Frog Morton, especially On the Town, is a damn fine tobacco. And Dunhill, Early Morning Pipe, is outstanding. Dunhill Nightcap, something you will definitely acquire a taste for as your pipe experience grows, is even better. But, Nightcap is a bit...heavier...on the palate, so don't go there first.

There are just so many good pipe tobaccos to recommend. Peterson makes some great ones, as does Nat Sherman if you are looking to get into something that is somewhere in the middle of the road between aromatics and traditional english blends (which are the ones I only smoke). Then, you can get into Dutch versions of English blends to confuse things even more (blends like Ratrrays -- traditionally Scottish, but sold now to a Dutch co.-- or Presbyterian...which is also outstanding).

Although I tend to favor imports like Dunhill, Astleys, and, particularly, the blends of Esoterica Tobaccaina, something you should definitely try are some of the blends being put out by House of Windsor. These guys are doing throw backs to the old days of tobacco with blends like "Country Doctor, " "Field and Stream," "Revelation, " "Barking Dog," "Union Leader," etc. Some decent stuff, at decent prices. Likewise, and similar to this, look out for the TONS of blends from the Cornell and Diehl guys. These guys really have too many blends to mention, some are hit and miss, but when they hit, they hit.

Rod said:
When you smoke a pipe with good tobacco, do you actually taste the flavor of the tobacco? I bought a few bags of generic "USA PRIDE" tobacco a few years ago and tried pipe smoking, but the experience wasn't that great. It just tasted sweet, but not flavorful. I'm sure it was the quality of tobacco. It's probably comparable to smoking a swisher.

I'm overwhelmed by the amount of variety there is in pipe tobacco. I don't have a sweet tooth. I do like the idea of trying new "flavors" but not sure exactly what. Something mellow yet flavorful. So I guess my question is, when you buy pipe tobacco, how do you know what to buy, and what it should taste like? What does good tobacco taste like? Let's say, cavendish for instance...

Thanks,
Rod
[snapback]155058[/snapback]​

I have to comment again on the Estate pipes. Great way to get a very nice pipe for a little money. I purchased a Wiley custom on EBay for $45.00, not bad for a $400+ pipe. I also have picked up a couple Ben Wades at very nice prices. Just keep in mind you are on EBay, read the descriptions very well and check out the sellers.

Something for the new pipe smoker to keep in mind. The prices for a good pipe might seem a bit steep when you are starting out. Keep in mind that you buying something you will use for the next 10 + years. If you take care of the pipe, maintain it and don't drop it and break it, they will last a very long time.

Rod, you shoulda PMed Leebo and asked him what a "pipe" tastes like. I'm SURE he could tell you!! You might wanna phrase it a bit different though, cause sometimes he calls pipes poles. :)

Eeeeeewwwwwww . . . . MattR, are you ever gonna get it. . . .LOL

POPCORN. . . GET Y OUR FRESH POPCORN RIGHT HERE . . . . GET IT BEFORE THE FIGHT STARTS! ! ! !

LOL