• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Giving away cigars for first-born baby

Zeebra

Daddy still loves Padrón!
So as the title succinctly explains, I'm looking for advice on giving away cigars to family and friends when our first baby is born (Dec 4th)

Given that the majority of people I know aren't cigar smokers, do I cheap out and go for something economical or do I still stick with the expensive Cubans?

Also, is it acceptable to give out cigars if the baby is a girl? (We don't know the sex yet)

There is a place here in Toronto that imports Cuban tobacco and hand makes cigars so they're ALOT cheaper, and I believe they can give you a customized band on the cigar with the birth announcement too. Should I go for that option?

Any advice/experience would be appreciated.

Zeebra said:
So as the title succinctly explains, I'm looking for advice on giving away cigars to family and friends when our first baby is born (Dec 4th)

Given that the majority of people I know aren't cigar smokers, do I cheap out and go for something economical or do I still stick with the expensive Cubans?

Also, is it acceptable to give out cigars if the baby is a girl? (We don't know the sex yet)

There is a place here in Toronto that imports Cuban tobacco and hand makes cigars so they're ALOT cheaper, and I believe they can give you a customized band on the cigar with the birth announcement too. Should I go for that option?

Any advice/experience would be appreciated.
[snapback]228768[/snapback]​

I like the idea of the custom rolled with the customized band. Very cool. And there of course is no reason not to give them out if you have a girl.

I did the A.F. It's a boy for my Son and had I been into Cigars at the time would have done the same for my Daughter. Sex does not matter on giving out cigars.

I would pick a quality, mid-level smoke that won't leave you mad when people take one puff and let it go out cos they are not regular cigar smokers.

Something from the Fuente regular line, Padron delicias/2000s/etc.

Something that wouldn't insult a regular smoker, but wouldn't kill you to see smoked only 1/4 of the way. it's a tough call.

I say splurge! It's the perfect occasion. Or don't, it's up to you.

I know that I will splurge when I have my first one, but then again I am not married, and also, it is impossible for a man to have a child, except for that one guy in the National Inquiror who had a hoofed lion child...

I say splurge. This will be one of the best days of your life and you will be so consumed by your new babie that you won't care if they put out the cigar early. Congratulations

I bought the AF "It's a boy" box too. I wish I had the foresight to save two for when my son gets (much) older. Congrats!

Dan

I wanted to add that the Fuentes are a perfectly good cigar for the occasion, if you go the middle road. I'd definitely go with the 8-5-8s.

After reading this title I thought you were going to offer a box of quality smokes in exchange for my first born. :laugh:

I was disappointed to see you weren't offering up a nice box. :whistling:

I've seen places that offer laser engraving (tatooing?) right on the cigar, that would be pretty cool!

Here's a link (no affiliation)

Congrats and good luck!

Cheers,
Joe

I'm the father of 2 grown children and I can sum up my 20+ years of fatherhood wisdom in one simple sentence:

Don't have girls.

Oh right, I remember that...works best on darker cigars, right?

Now THAT would be cool!

I gave away the AF Brevas to those that didn't smoke (as a souvenir type thing since it has the it's a boy wrapper) and gave nicer smokes as well to those that were going to light up with me. I gave them away at a gathering at my place.

2 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
2 Members: barney_rebel, Zeebra

Heya mofo - congragts!

jgohlke beat me to the punch on the laser engraved cigars. I have no idea as to the quality of their gars, but the idea always impressed me as very cool.

My best congratulations on your new "little person"....!! Wait until they are 18 and "know everything"....then it really gets fun.... :laugh:

Best Regards - B.B.S.

As stated above, it's a boy and it's a girl are the best for non smokers. No reason to waste good money on non smokers.

Thanks for all the help. You guys rock. I'll let you know once the baby is born and you can all smoke one for me. :)

If anyone I knew had a baby and offered me an AF Breva I would be happy to smoke it, I actually enjoy them outside of the birth of a child.

When my daughters were born I used the opportunity to buy way more cigars than I intended to hand out. Wife pretty much agreed to anything when she was 38 weeks pregnant. :laugh:

I handed good cigars out to the cigar smokers and bought a box of La Corona Coronas for the "white-owl crowd". They smoked them and enjoyed them.