• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Looking for good, cheap port

Schwiering

Reading more, posting less
I am looking for some nice cheap bottles of port. Something that is ready to go now, and is in the sub-$30 range. Hope you guys can give me some info on what to look for.

Hardy's makes one called "Whiskers Blake." It's delicious, cheap ($14 IIRC) and goes great with cigars. I believe Cigardawg favors this for his everyday port as I do.

Wilkey

You can get some nice 10yr old tawny ports in the under $30 range.

Taylor-Fladgate, Warres, Dows, etc...

The best tawny for the money, IMHO, is the Illapara 10yr tawny, an Austrailian port. It sells for $18 per bottle at the Total Wine store here in NC.

My ex used to drink an inexpensive port by Warres...I think it was called the "Warrior."
If I rememebr correctly, it was sub 30, and quite drinkable. Then again, I knew NOTHING of ports while we were together, and know barely more than that much now.

Taylor Fladgate 10 year-old Tawny, about $25, and is an amazing Port and great with a cigar. I had it back to back with their 20 year-old and I liked the 10 more than the 20.

Australian
Whisker's Blake ($14-$17) - Rated 93 by Spectator a couple of years back
Clocktower by Yalumba ($10-$12)
Galway Pipe by Yalumba ($20-$24)
Illapara (sp?) ($12-$15)

Portguese
Taylor Fladgate 10 yr Tawny ($20-$30)
Dow 10 yr Tawny ($20-$28)
Fonseca 10 yr Tawny ($20-$28)
LBVs from any of the above ($19-$24)

Those are some of my favorites. I've typically got 3-6 bottles of port in the house at any one time...love the stuff. :love:

Australian
Whisker's Blake ($14-$17) - Rated 93 by Spectator a couple of years back
Clocktower by Yalumba ($10-$12)
Galway Pipe by Yalumba ($20-$24)
Illapara (sp?) ($12-$15)

Portguese
Taylor Fladgate 10 yr Tawny ($20-$30)
Dow 10 yr Tawny ($20-$28)
Fonseca 10 yr Tawny ($20-$28)
LBVs from any of the above ($19-$24)

Those are some of my favorites. I've typically got 3-6 bottles of port in the house at any one time...love the stuff. :love:

Hands down, my favorite inexpensive tawny port :thumbs:

:cool:

LBV ports from any of the major houses should be readily available for <$30.

My favorites so far:
Grahams 2000 LBV ($20-22)
Quinta do Noval 1998/1999 LBV ($18-22)
Warres 1994 LBV ($25-32)

The second two are unfiltered, so despite being LBV, they should improve slightly with age.

The Warres 1994 shows the full character of a Warres vintage port.

I have not tried vintage ports for Grahams or Noval yet, so I can't comment on them. But the Noval is my favorite of the bunch (a little more cab like body than most ports)

Most of the abovementioned ports have a strong finish and therefore a strong and sometimes unpleasant aftertaste. Also they are the most recognized names in our markets.
Try couple of my favorites:
1. Royal Oporto 1977 about 40.00 but well worth the price. This port is rather hard to find but more available in east coast. 1953 is about 150.00 and drinks like a fine congac. Simply superb with a flavorful habanos like Ramon Allones 8-9-8
2. Smith Woodhouse. No disappointment in any of their vintages and very reasonable.

Enjoy.

Jon

Most of the abovementioned ports have a strong finish and therefore a strong and sometimes unpleasant aftertaste. Also they are the most recognized names in our markets.
Try couple of my favorites:
1. Royal Oporto 1977 about 40.00 but well worth the price. This port is rather hard to find but more available in east coast. 1953 is about 150.00 and drinks like a fine congac. Simply superb with a flavorful habanos like Ramon Allones 8-9-8
2. Smith Woodhouse. No disappointment in any of their vintages and very reasonable.

Enjoy.

Jon

Thanks Jon, but I've never had a unpleasant aftertaste with the Grahams LBV or the Whiskers Blake which are "good cheap ports" in my opinion. I agree with you on the Smith-Woodhouse ports :thumbs: , I've got a few of those laying down in the cellar for proper ageing.

This past weekend I went over to the Sierra Foothills to pick up some futures and visited a couple of my favorite wineries. I picked up a few bottles of the NV Montevina Zinfandel Port for under $20, I forgot how good this port actually is. To my palate this is more like a late harvest Zin than a port, but when I want something a little lighter it fits the bill perfectly. We also use this port in recipes calling for a late harvest Zinfandel or light fruity port, it pairs very well with a Chocolate Decadance or Pot de Creme.

:cool:

Wow! Lots of action on this 2 month old thread in the last week. Thanks for everyone's thoughts. I look forward to trying as many of these as possible.

Due to a previous mention from NorCal, I have had the Grahams LBV. I thought it was great with no harsh aftertaste.

Hardy's makes one called "Whiskers Blake." It's delicious, cheap ($14 IIRC) and goes great with cigars. I believe Cigardawg favors this for his everyday port as I do.

Wilkey

I have to cast another vote for Whiskers Blake. Great price and compliments a cigar nicely. :cool: