• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Humidors made of MDF

reptilicus

After a lot of looking and himmin' and hawin' I have chosen to go with something in a nicer type display humidor. I have three favorites, two of which are solid wood, Aristocrat Majestic 24" armoire and the Vigilant Guardian 2000. I am also like the looks of the Avallo TD wich is a display cabinet made of MDF with verneer.

It is my understanding that MDF will not warp at humidity over time and that solid woods may have this problem over the long haul. What is your opinion on this? Do any of you have any particular thoughts on or experience with these cabinets and humidification systems? Thanks all.

http://www.aristocrathumidors.com/majestic-24.html

http://www.vigilantinc.com/_website/cigarh....asp?I=GUA20024

http://www.cigarsolutions.com/AvalloTD.html

I don't have experience with any of them. What I did notice is
that they have glass doors. Be careful, glass doors are great for storing
boxes, (I have a large glass door humidor) but you don't want to have single sticks exposed to the light.

Brian

I don't have experience with any of them. What I did notice is
that they have glass doors. Be careful, glass doors are great for storing
boxes, (I have a large glass door humidor) but you don't want to have single sticks exposed to the light.

Brian

Huh, learn something new every day. I like to store boxes mostly. But I'll buy a sampler pack or two or have some sticks left from a discarded box that go in the singles tray. What does light do to the singles?

mdf eh? hmm you can make a speaker box if you dont like them as a humi!

sorry i dont know anything about them.

I don't know anything about those humidors specifically but it is true MDF won't warp. However, the area that comes in contact with the humidity is the spanish cedar lining, not the hardwood or mdf so warping would not be a factor and I would continue to choose hardwood as the exterior wood because of the quality.

Just my $.02 though

~Mark

1st let me say, anthing more than a 'coolerdor' is an indulgence. A cheap styrofoam pic-nick ice chest and a humidifer WILL suffice!

MDF is the 'core' material of typically commercial grade veneered 4 x 8 sheets of 'furniture grade veneer plywood'.

All the 'hype' about MDF's stability is merely smokescreen to cloud the truth: the item is made of by-products of real wood and GLUE/binder. Very little VALUABLE wood is used and it is very inexpensive to buy compared to real solid wood.

If cost is the priority, MDF is cheaper than solid wood. The benefits of cost vs quality is yours to make

All the manufacturers you listed use the same economical subsitute for wood in the bulk of the cabinets they make. SOLID wood is added in some of them for edging and trim and door frames, but their products are substantially inexpensive MDF core 'Furniture Grade Veneer Plywood'

Put simply: if all you value is what you see with your eyes then "gold Plated items are worth the same as SOLID gold".... buy what you will, but DON'T think you getting a bargain... you're getting what you pay for!

The fact that a particular Humidor is very popular does not mean it is superior.

The fact that a Humidor is costly also does not AUTOMATICALLY mean it is better.

I have been making humidors of SOLID WOOD for over a decade, and the stability of wood has not been a problem.

Expensive yes, but SOLID WOOD offers strengh, durablity, longevity and stability superior to less costly/economical alternatives.

1st let me say, anthing more than a 'coolerdor' is an indulgence. A cheap styrofoam pic-nick ice chest and a humidifer WILL suffice!

MDF is the 'core' material of typically commercial grade veneered 4 x 8 sheets of 'furniture grade veneer plywood'.

All the 'hype' about MDF's stability is merely smokescreen to cloud the truth: the item is made of by-products of real wood and GLUE/binder. Very little VALUABLE wood is used and it is CHEAP to buy.

If cost is the priority, MDF is cheaper than solid wood. The benefits of cost vs quality is yours to make

All the manufacturers you listed [Avallo, Aristocrat and Vigilant] use the same cheap subsitute for wood in the bulk of the cabinets they make. SOLID wood is sometimes minimally added in some of them for edging and trim and door frames, but their products are substantially CHEAP MDF core 'Furniture Grade Veneer Plywood'

Put simply: if all you value is what you see with your eyes then "gold Plated items are worth the same as SOLID gold".... buy what you will, but DON'T think you getting a bargain... you're getting what you pay for!

I have been making humidors of SOLID WOOD for over a decade, and the stability of wood has not been a problem.

Expensive yes, but SOLID WOOD offers strengh, durablity, longevity and stability superior to cheap alternatives.

Well put! :thumbs: I hope you don't mind if I steal that to justify purchases to the wife.

Solid wood here if that means anything.

All the 'hype' about MDF's stability is merely smokescreen to cloud the truth: the item is made of by-products of real wood and GLUE/binder. Very little VALUABLE wood is used and it is CHEAP to buy.

All the manufacturers you listed [Avallo, Aristocrat and Vigilant] use the same cheap subsitute for wood in the bulk of the cabinets they make. SOLID wood is sometimes minimally added in some of them for edging and trim and door frames, but their products are substantially CHEAP MDF core 'Furniture Grade Veneer Plywood'

Expensive yes, but SOLID WOOD offers strengh, durablity, longevity and stability superior to cheap alternatives.

Guys for anyone who doesn't know or has never seen one of Arlin's works of art they are something to behold. There are not many craftsmen around that can create original design humidors with the quality that he does. I do not have his web address, but may he or someone can post a link. Welcome Arlin.

Well put! :thumbs: I hope you don't mind if I steal that to justify purchases to the wife.

Hey let us know if it works? casasoho! :D

I guess I find it a bit dissapointing that you feel the need to slam your competitors by name. I've always sold my wares and skills on their own merits, and have found that negative comments don't really help, long term. Quality, properly represented, always sells those that seek same.

Your cabinets and the craftsmanship that goes into them are beautiful, no question there.

My $00.02....B.B.S.

I guess I find it a bit dissapointing that you feel the need to slam your competitors by name. I've always sold my wares and skills on their own merits, and have found that negative comments don't really help, long term. Quality, properly represented, always sells those that seek same.

Your cabinets and the craftsmanship that goes into them are beautiful, no question there.

My $00.02....B.B.S.
Well said! :thumbs: Negativity breeds destruction!

Brian

My CHEAP MDF based humidor looks and works fantastic. I am sure it will last long enough for me to finish my walk in humidor. :D

Well said! :thumbs: Negativity breeds destruction!

Brian

I thought it was Hate lead to Anger, Anger leads to suffering...

Doesn't MDF give off poisonous fumes? Could they interact with the smokes in anyway?

I have always liked the topic of veneers/MDF vs solid wood. It's an opportunity to dispell some old myths about which is "better". I get asked this question with some frequency & my answer is always "It depends"....on what is being built, where in the construct it is & what specie of wood is being used. If one goes to a museum, you will find some of the most valuable pieces are a mix of solid wood & veneers. The reasons for using a veneer are not new--it's stability.

The short version is it's all about stability not cost. Using a veneer/mdf combination for the case work is more stable & ensure generations of service.

Heres the long version.....

Humidors represent a particular challenge-- a 25" deep cabinet,if made of solid wood, one has to accomodate movement of the wood of up to 1/8" across the grain. It can be done to some degree with frame & panel construction, but there is still some movement remaining, which makes it more difficult to create & maintain a proper door seal interface with a door that we build from solid wood.

A furniture thickness veneer on a stable MDF substrate eliminates the issue of movement. It's stable to within a couple of thousandths of an inch. One always gets a solid seal. There are approximately 40 different grades of MDF available--ranging from the large flake pattern usually associated with inexpensive production furniture to high density, water resistant "medex" material that is not inexpensive. Most custom humidor makers are using the higher end materials.

The thickness of the veneers is also can vary quite a bit. We use a furniture grade thickness that if ever damaged is repaired exactly the same way one would repair a piece of solid wood. If one tried to "sand away" the defect, there would be a rather noticable dish like depression that would not be acceptable.

Wood choice is also critical--There are high density exotic woods, like ebony, cocobolo, bloodwood, and highly figured woods like crotch mahogany, walnut burls & quilted maples that lack either the structural strength or have inherent instablility & should not be used as solid woods in certain areas of a humidor.

This is why even furniture from even 100+ years ago was often made with veneers when these woods were incorporated into the design. Without having modern technology to create veneers, these folks invested significantly more hand labor than would have been required with solid wood--but they knew that a veneer in that instance was the only way to make a piece that would last for generations.

The same is true today. It costs more use a veneer/MDF layup of a wood like crotch mahogany or burl than it would to just cut up a piece of solid wood & try to use it.

To not use any veneers, one would be limited to building humidors only from woods with exceptional stability & live with the possibility of significant wood movement even in those. On the other hand if someone does use species like crotch mahogany, burls, etc in solid wood form,then the risk of that humidor failing is quite high in comparison to using a veneer in that application.

It's not about cost--it's about choosing the best material to ensure a heirloom quality piece that grandkids will fight over & still be working perfectly.

Just my .02

cheers,
Bob Staebell

Arlin Liss and Bob Staebell in the same thread. Now this is some serious professional info here folks. Read and learn.

Arlin Liss and Bob Staebell in the same thread. Now this is some serious professional info here folks. Read and learn.
No kidding....two of the masters....right here.

Thanks to both for the info.... :thumbs: ...B.B.S.

agreed, a real honor to see these two in here talking about wood. thanks for the input Arlin and Bob :thumbs:

Wow! I don't think I've ever read a magazine that had both Arlin & Bob in the same issue, let alone in the same article. Thank you both for the input.