• This topic is locked This topic is locked
1604 replies to this topic

#1481 MadMonk

MadMonk

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,001 posts

Posted 10 March 2012 - 12:37 PM

Cracked open a tin of Bohemian Scandal today. Huzzah!

You're a lucky man, my friend.

Love that Syrian Latakia. Please let us know how age has treated it, Alan?

Finally finished this tin. I can't say anything negative about this tobacco at all. Earthy, sweet, smoky, and quite dry (like a nice Cab Sav). It's not quite as spicy as it once was, but it's still a very nice blend.

Thanks for the feedback. I have a lot of Latakia based blends, and wanted to see how the Syrian does with age. I prefer it over Cyprian.
Sort of the idea; does it keep it's perceived edge over Cyprian as time goes by. Would love to find 5 year old tins of McClelland 3 Oaks Syrian and G.L.P. Westminster.

As for what is in my pipe, I have a home blend I've been experimenting with. I bought several jars of Jewel of St. James Perique. Working on a VaPer that is pretty damned good. I added some Burley to it a week ago, and let it sit. Not bad at all. Cuts down on the bite, and the VaPer aspect is still very dominant.

Edited by MadMonk, 10 March 2012 - 12:40 PM.

#1482 LilBastage

LilBastage

Meat is murder! Tasty, tasty murder.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,461 posts

Posted 10 March 2012 - 03:06 PM

Thanks for the feedback. I have a lot of Latakia based blends, and wanted to see how the Syrian does with age. I prefer it over Cyprian.
Sort of the idea; does it keep it's perceived edge over Cyprian as time goes by. Would love to find 5 year old tins of McClelland 3 Oaks Syrian and G.L.P. Westminster.

As for what is in my pipe, I have a home blend I've been experimenting with. I bought several jars of Jewel of St. James Perique. Working on a VaPer that is pretty damned good. I added some Burley to it a week ago, and let it sit. Not bad at all. Cuts down on the bite, and the VaPer aspect is still very dominant.

Funny you should mention it; I have tin of Westminster from very early in 2008 that is on my list of tins to pop in the near future. If I remember (which is becoming more of a gamble than it used to be) I'll send you a sampling. Probably looking at May or thereabouts.

#1483 MadMonk

MadMonk

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,001 posts

Posted 10 March 2012 - 03:31 PM

Funny you should mention it; I have tin of Westminster from very early in 2008 that is on my list of tins to pop in the near future. If I remember (which is becoming more of a gamble than it used to be) I'll send you a sampling. Probably looking at May or thereabouts.

Thanks Alan. Love the memory quip. I now constantly carry a pad, and my digital calendar gets a hell of a lot more use, but I have to remember to look at it.

#1484 wkoti

wkoti

Flaky McFlakerton

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,113 posts

Posted 10 March 2012 - 07:30 PM

I'm totally not a pipe smoker, but about a year back my father gave me my deceased grandfathers old pipe, so I decided it was time to put it to use. I stopped off at Stag in Colorado Springs. They claim to have over 230 different pipe tobaccos. So after over an hour of sniffing through the blends, I pick up 44 grams of Amaretto. Smelled of caramel and cinnamon, couldn't pass it up. I being an avid cigar smoker, figured I could use the pipe on those cold nights I don't feel like going outside. Well I dropped some in the pipe today, after reading all about pipe smoking, tasty stuff, will take some time to truly enjoy it, but at least the house smells yummy!

#1485 bluue13

bluue13

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,651 posts

Posted 20 March 2012 - 04:18 PM

Broke in the new pipe today with some Frog Morton. Soooo good. I can already tell I'm going to love this.

Edited by bluue13, 20 March 2012 - 09:04 PM.

#1486 Pipe Smoker

Pipe Smoker

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 523 posts

Posted 22 March 2012 - 07:57 AM

Finally got around to breaking in the new Bos with some Christmas Cheer. What a pipe! Listened to the entire Sixers game and still had plenty of tobacco left.

#1487 DeputyDawg

DeputyDawg

Old Sheepdog

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 797 posts

Posted 22 March 2012 - 07:26 PM

Put some FM on the Town in my poker pipe. Very nice, mild smoke.

#1488 StatHaldol

StatHaldol

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 738 posts

Posted 24 March 2012 - 05:32 AM

Put some FM on the Town in my poker pipe. Very nice, mild smoke.

It's a Frog Morton morning for me too, smoking it in a new Rinaldo Lithos YY Silver Line 7 my wife bought for me!

#1489 The Black Cloud

The Black Cloud

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,904 posts

Posted 01 April 2012 - 01:09 PM

Smoked some Christmas Cheer yesterday. Good stuff but kind of a bear to keep lit (I guess they all are for me). I might pick up a tin of it.

#1490 Pipe Smoker

Pipe Smoker

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 523 posts

Posted 02 April 2012 - 10:43 AM

Been on an FVF kick lately.

#1491 rbbrock

rbbrock

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,032 posts

Posted 03 April 2012 - 02:03 AM

I've been enjoying the burley/perique lately, mostly with C&D's Big 'n' Burley and Old Joe Krantz (thanks Freebern!). Other than some latakia heavy blends for a change of pace it's really been mostly burley for the last month or so. It just seems really straightforward and enjoyable.

#1492 StatHaldol

StatHaldol

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 738 posts

Posted 03 April 2012 - 04:13 AM

G.L. Pease Sextant.

#1493 Pipe Smoker

Pipe Smoker

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 523 posts

Posted 03 April 2012 - 08:42 AM

G.L. Pease Sextant.

Where did you get yours? I order from pipes and cigars and its still listed as "backordered". I'm really anxious to try this one. I love Navy Flakes.

#1494 LilBastage

LilBastage

Meat is murder! Tasty, tasty murder.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,461 posts

Posted 03 April 2012 - 09:51 AM

G.L. Pease Sextant.

Where did you get yours? I order from pipes and cigars and its still listed as "backordered". I'm really anxious to try this one. I love Navy Flakes.

I got mine from 4oggins. It's pretty much out of stock everywhere right now. The second shipment is usually larger, I think. That, or less people rush to grab the new blends after the initial excitement.

(I haven't broken into the tin yet.)

#1495 StatHaldol

StatHaldol

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 738 posts

Posted 04 April 2012 - 08:16 PM

I'll ask my wife...she got it for me as an early birthday present. She said she had to jump through a bunch of hoops to get it! She's a keeper!!

#1496 StatHaldol

StatHaldol

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 738 posts

Posted 05 April 2012 - 07:21 AM

G.L. Pease Sextant.

http://www.smokingpipes.com/

#1497 Pipe Smoker

Pipe Smoker

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 523 posts

Posted 05 April 2012 - 08:11 AM

G.L. Pease Sextant.

http://www.smokingpipes.com/

Darrnit, its listed as out of stock ATM. Hopefully mine will show up sooner or later.

#1498 The Black Cloud

The Black Cloud

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,904 posts

Posted 16 April 2012 - 10:54 AM

Had some Boswell's Best the other day. Pretty nice stuff.

#1499 StatHaldol

StatHaldol

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 738 posts

Posted 22 April 2012 - 08:38 PM

Old Dog smoked in my favorite old Peterson :)

#1500 Pipe Smoker

Pipe Smoker

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 523 posts

Posted 23 April 2012 - 08:20 AM

Got my order of Sextant - didn't want to crack it open just yet so I dug into some SG Navy Flake to satisfy the craving.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users