• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Colibri won't light unless warm?

dkbmusic

Hey Guys,

I have a Colibri lighter that just won't stay lit unless the lighter itself is reasonably warm. If I keep it in my pocket for 30-60 minutes before I use it it works fine, but at room temperature, not so much. So, what am I doing wrong? Anyone experienced this before?

I have experienced similar behavior in a couple of my torch lighters. If I warm them in my hand then they seem to work OK but if at room temp they do not dependably light.
I hope you can find an answer!

Three suggestions.

First, are you fully venting the lighter before filling it?

Second, are you putting the lighter in the freezer for 5-10 minutes before filling it?

Third, what are you thinking, buying a Colibri? They really are pieces of junk... every Colibri I've owned has ended up in the trash... Seriously, I don't mean to harsh on your mellow, but I won't buy another Colibri as long as I live.

Oh, and one more suggestion, are you using a triple or better refined butane? Ronson and similar will gum up the works. You want Lava, or Vector...

Hope this helps!

I had the same experince with my butane lighters before and its due to the butane being cold, if it is cold its harder for it to ignite and stay lit. Similar to how it is when you first fill the lighter up with butane its very cold and wont light.

I've had my single flame Colibri 5 years now and it always works...

I used the best gas I can purchase, at least triple filtered. And I purge it before filling. It only gives me slight problems in really cold weather and a few mins in my hand always seems to fix the problem.

Unlike my more expensive dual-flame Xikar lighter that I now have to send in to be replaced after 3 months of use because the O-Ring ripped and it sprays butane everywhere when I try to adjust the flame.

All butane lighters suck. In my experience, and I have a drawer full, they all eventually break down, sooner rather than later. It doesn't matter what you do. Bleed 'em, beat 'em or say prayers over them. Use matches. They work almost every single time.

Doc.

All butane lighters suck. In my experience, and I have a drawer full, they all eventually break down, sooner rather than later. It doesn't matter what you do. Blead 'em, beat 'em or say prayers over them. Use matches. They work almost every single time.

Doc.

Anarcho-primitivism at its finest... :sign:

I have a Colibri that has been floating around my shop for about six years now and still works fine...when I can find it, it's hiding out right now :laugh: .

Anyway, you can try all the tricks you like, mine has never been bled before filling, or chilled unless the shop got cold, and has always been filled with Ronson fuel. The one thing I do when the lighter starts acting funny is to blow out the jet with compressed air and that makes work like new. I have never herd a good word about Colibri so I will not buy another but this one doesn't owe me anything.

Of course now that I am a member here, I have become much more refined and fill my Lotus (can't find it either :angry: ) and my two Xikars with triple filtered quality fuel, and if the lighter is low enough I sometimes purge the remaining gas from them as well, but not usually. The compressed air trick is the ticket for cleaning up the jets which can be affected by fine grit or lint from your pocket.

Until I started reading the cigar boards I have never herd that there was a careful process to filling a lighter, and I honestly really do not sweat it much, I do buy good fuel and that's about it. Over the years the only problems I have ever had were fouled jets, or broken parts from dropping the lighters.

see ya

Mike

I've done the flint and steel joke, a couple of times. Search is your friend.

Actually, I knew you had done that joke many times before. It was a meta-joke, a tongue in cheek reference to your joke.

Are you laughing yet? I am!

I've got a Colibri and I've purged, vented, cleaned, filled and refilled, done everything but rub holy water on the stupid thing and it still works.....some of the time. Best torches I have are my PB-207 Blazer and the two $6.00 cheapies I bought on line. The cheapies always work. Always. I'm a new Blazer owner and I'm impressed; the thing really gets it done.... :thumbs:

PM for sources if you're interested - B.B.S.

Like BBS was saying PB-207, the ugliest lighter to walk the earth but one of the most reliable I've ever used. I also get about 20-25 cigars lit and touched up between fills, otherwise get a dupont soft flame, the most beautiful lighters to walk the earth and another with unparalleled reliability, but you could buy a couple boxes of double R's for the price.

Just my .02.

John

I've done the flint and steel joke, a couple of times. Search is your friend.

Actually, I knew you had done that joke many times before. It was a meta-joke, a tongue in cheek reference to your joke.

Are you laughing yet? I am!
I had no idea you were a fan. I'll keep that in mind for the next time.

Doc.

Try shaking your cold lighter in your hand. Really shake it hard and you may be pleasantly surprised.

Dan

I've got a few of the cx series and they have been working great for years except for the occasional loose screw. Have a friend who had a factory connection and he said Colibri's were junk. I say dime store ronson gas will turn most any lighter into junk.