92 replies to this topic

#81 broblues

broblues

Eligible

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,046 posts

Posted 13 March 2012 - 02:31 PM

Just an FYI for the nervous noob, my 1st 150 ct humi took 4 weeks to season. I almost ruined my sticks by putting them in prematurely and sucking the moisture out of them. The operative word is patience.

This post answered all my remaining questions about seasoning my kooladore. When I get home, I'll remove the cigars and wait a couple of days before opening it up again. After reading the information about the dangers of tobacco beetles, I've decided to add a thermometer alongside my hydrometer . I'm keeping my kooladore on an enclosed porch, aka Florida room and it will likely heatup as the summer progresses.

You really don't want your Humidor in direct sunlight and you don't want it to experience temperature extremes. 70 degrees ...not much higher, not much lower.

#82 BKSinAZ

BKSinAZ

CP Newbie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 31 posts

Posted 18 March 2012 - 01:47 PM

Great Job and thank you. I had just one question though....

In the article, it stated that a Gel Jar Humidifier was considered an upgrade. What would be the difference / better, Gel Jar Humidifier
or beads? This question pertains to smaller desktop humidors.

#83 Cigar FF

Cigar FF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 258 posts

Posted 18 March 2012 - 02:08 PM

I think people like the beads more because they regulate the RH better than gel. Meaning, if it gets too humid, the beads can absorb some of the moisture as easily as it distributes it keeping the RH more steady. The gel does not have that pro based on what Ive read. I also think that people support Heartfelt beads as the owner is a contibuter here at CP and has top notch customer service.

#84 Starflyte

Starflyte

CP Newbie

• Banned
  • Pip
  • 18 posts

Posted 19 June 2012 - 01:05 PM

Hello,

The link didn't work for me. Is the article no longer posted?

thanks

#85 chiefmd

chiefmd

Bone Fixer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,558 posts

Posted 19 June 2012 - 01:11 PM

How about an introduction and a look over the rules :)

#86 Rod

Rod

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,396 posts

Posted 30 July 2012 - 02:04 PM

Link updated.

#87 Njstacker22

Njstacker22

CP Newbie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 15 August 2013 - 09:25 AM

As a newbie smoker who is looking to get my first REAL humidor... the article was priceless. Thank you! 

#88 WindingDown

WindingDown

CP Newbie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 27 posts

Posted 19 March 2014 - 09:16 PM

Good evening everyone! I'm new to this community and to the cigar lifestyle in general. I've been smoking finer cigars (not dutchmasters from the corner store lol) for going on 3 years now, however, I decided I was done with having to run to the tobacconist the afternoon before an anticipated night's smoke and wanted a humidor and some cigars I could have stored in my house. I was looking in a local coupon magazine and came across a deal with cigarinternational.com (CI) The deal? $35 (including shipping) for a humidor and quality 10 cigar sampler so I figured now was the time to pull the trigger and get a humidor and stash of cigars. The shipment arrived and to my surprise and excitement came a (what appears and feels to be) quality humidor and 10 good cigars including La Gloria Cubana (thats my girl and has always been one of my go-to brands) a gurkha, punch and other decent cigars. I guess thats neither here nor there so I apologize for rambling. 

Here's the gist. I immediately (like most 25 year olds) went to the internet and searched how to season a humidor. First hit was a CI video showing how to do it. Figuring I bought from there and they should be familiar with the product it was a safe bet. The video suggested wiping down the inside with a new distilled water dampened sponge. I did so being careful not to soak it. While cleaning up the packaging I found the instructions that came with the humidor. It warned not to use water... So I was like uh-oh did I already screw up my humidor? Knowing I didn't oversoak and only did a light wipe down I used one of the methods the instructions suggested which was putting a shot glass of distilled water in the humidor.

After all that (sorry), here are my questions.

Did I screw up by using the wipe with distilled water method or am I alright and that instruction to not use water is only there for the sake of covering the manufacturers behind and so they don't have some yahoo over soak and warp his/her humidor to come knocking on the door for another one at the expense of the company?

Should I have my crystal humidifying jar in with the shot glass of distilled water?

Thanks for any help and I apologize for the long (probably unnecessary) post. Look forward to learning more! 

#89 Light this!

Light this!

Licensed to Kill

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,439 posts

Posted 20 March 2014 - 10:11 PM

No you should be fine as long as you didn't soak it and used distilled water. I would take out the beads though and just leave the shot glass in there with some distilled water. Better yet, PM your addy addy and I will ship you the rest of my remaining Boveda seasoning packs. When you receive these just drop them in your humi and leave them in there for two weeks. Don't open it for 14 days. I know it's a little tempting but just leave them in there without opening it.

To be honest - It's probably not a great humidor that your getting from them but it will do the trick. Just make sure that everything is nice tight and seals properly.

#90 WindingDown

WindingDown

CP Newbie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 27 posts

Posted 21 March 2014 - 09:05 AM

I may not need the packs but I appreciate the offer. Being new and not researching enough before starting the seasoning process I never calibrated the hygrometer it came with and it's built in. So what I'm going to do is stop at the local tobacconist and grab a digital hygrometer and check it when I get home. The one it came with is reading 80% R/H. I wiped it down as previously noted then did the shot glass and last night about 5 I changed up and placed a long shallow dish of distilled water in. I'm not sure honestly how to tell when it's "seasoned" I can't seem to find an answer online. It got wiped down Wednesday and a shot glass of distilled. I stupidly wiped it down again the next morning because I did it so lightly the night before. Were on like 36+ hours of a max 50 hold humidor... Idk how long it should take especially since it's been wiped down. I've read people having them seasoned in 24-36 hours.. I'll probably buy a better one this summer and do it the right way.

#91 whylieineedacigar

whylieineedacigar

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 967 posts

Posted 21 March 2014 - 09:11 AM

I may not need the packs but I appreciate the offer. Being new and not researching enough before starting the seasoning process I never calibrated the hygrometer it came with and it's built in. So what I'm going to do is stop at the local tobacconist and grab a digital hygrometer and check it when I get home. The one it came with is reading 80% R/H. I wiped it down as previously noted then did the shot glass and last night about 5 I changed up and placed a long shallow dish of distilled water in. I'm not sure honestly how to tell when it's "seasoned" I can't seem to find an answer online. It got wiped down Wednesday and a shot glass of distilled. I stupidly wiped it down again the next morning because I did it so lightly the night before. Were on like 36+ hours of a max 50 hold humidor... Idk how long it should take especially since it's been wiped down. I've read people having them seasoned in 24-36 hours.. I'll probably buy a better one this summer and do it the right way.

Make sure to calibrate your new digital hygrometer as well. Here is a guide http://www.cigarpass...our-hygrometer/

#92 WindingDown

WindingDown

CP Newbie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 27 posts

Posted 22 March 2014 - 02:39 PM

Bought a round xicar purotemp. Followed the calibration instructions but it's -10 (reading 65%). Pretty annoyed since this hygrometer is supposed to be accurate +2/-2 at 70%

#93 WindingDown

WindingDown

CP Newbie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 27 posts

Posted 23 March 2014 - 01:51 PM

Bought a round xicar purotemp. Followed the calibration instructions but it's -10 (reading 65%). Pretty annoyed since this hygrometer is supposed to be accurate +2/-2 at 70%

I should have said accurate out of the box with no calibration needed. Glad I didn't just trust it and throw it in. My cigars would be swimming right now.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users