• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Jose L. Piedra Conservas

Rob

Last night, I was in the mood for a smoke, but wanted something I didn`t have to pay attention to. So I decided to go slummin` with JL Piedra. I haven`t had one in a while and just poured me some Havana Club and lit up. How did it go down? Read on...
More reviews can be found at MY BLOG

11092008320.jpg

JOSE L. PIEDRA
CONSERVAS

Origin: Cuba
Wrapper: Cuba
Binder: Cuba
Filler: Cuba

This smoke is machine made short/mixed filler with hand applied wrapper. It consists of scrapings of tobacco of more prestigious brands.

Place of purchase: Local B & M

11092008317.jpg

TASTING SHEET RESULTS

SIZE: 5.5x44
APPEARANCE: very good, especially for a cheapie: veiny with some larger veins, evenly colored colorado claro wrapper, slight oily sheen, as far as short filler smokes go, this one is quite nice
CONSTRUCTION: very good: well applied wrapper and double cap, firm, nicely filled bunch - machine made, with fine give, nice tight seams
DRAW: perfect
BURN: good to very good, tipical cuban
AROMA: good
FLAVOR: good
DOMINANT FLAVORS: earth, cedar, salt
AFTERTASTE: earth, cedar, some leather, salt
STRENGHT: somewhat mild
SMOKING TIME: ~ 90 minutes
GENERAL IMPRESSION: good

CUT: Double guillotine
PRELIGHT: earth, salty tobacco
LIGHT: torch flame lighter, easily
BEVERAGE: 7 years old Havana Club Anejo Rum

1/3:
Upon light intense earth and salt hit the palate, with wood and leather in the background. Smooth with no bite whatsoever. Nose blow effortless and defines salty notes on top of leather. Smoke leaves palate dry, so have a drink on hand. I sure did. Tipical cuban burn.
Rum brings out floral notes with wonderful non-sweetened caramel aroma and toasty finish. Ash is fragile and easily drops. Body in the mild to medium range.
11092008322.jpg

2/3:
No surprises here, complex is not a word to describe this smoke. Flavors are static, but not unpleasant or boring. Body barely medium. Ash drops yet again and cannot even grow to an inch. A thing really going for this cheapie on value but not on performance is constant flavor. It does not budge and delivers what its got tall and proud. No bitterness, no tar, good aroma, thick, rich smoke and good, albeit thick burn.
11092008323.jpg

11092008325.jpg

3/3:
This is definitely a single tone tune, but it rocks anyway. A faint citrus note is finally picked up on the nose blow and also on the finish.
11092008326.jpg

NUB:
More of the same `ol. It`s interesting to note that neither body nor flavor increased in the final third. Not even a hair. A textbook constant.
11092008327.jpg

11092008329.jpg

Jose L. Piedra are some of the cheapest cuban cigars you can buy. But they are definitely not "cheap". Sure, there is no complexity, no divine aromas, no silky wrappers... but there is honest cuban flavor and experience. For a short-mixed filler cigar or a cuban daily smoke you can hardly do better. At the prices they go for, you can stock up on them, let them rest for a couple of years and you truly have a small gem on your hands, plus your wallet will thank you.

I ought to mention that rum complimented smoke well, but failed to bring out more delicate nuances. It did, however, "lend" a substantial "body" to the smoke :)

Yes these aren't bad at all (provided the one you pick up isn't plugged ??? ). I've tried most of em but prefer the cremas. Construction is hit and miss with these I find but for the price you can't go wrong. They're a good "go to" for the price. I always have a few in my humidor.

Another great review. Always wanted to try these "cheapies". Seems to be a great ISOM yard gar based on their cost.

I never have tried one of these, would love to. Another cheapie like this one is the Quintero. I really enjoy the Brevas. Thanks for another good review.
Chris

Jose L. Piedras are one of my favorites! :thumbs: I really like the Cazadores. I tend to like them raw, young and new, :D aging does smooth them out a bit. I find them a little stronger than Quinteros.

Nice review, Rob!

Machine made cigars are decent sticks for the money. Don't expect a lot out of them, but they do deliver a decent smoke.

Good point Snoozer

I smoked a lot of JLP when I started seriously smoking. But with each bundle purchased, more and more were plugged. I used to ease the draw with poker, but that is poor solution as the majority of air and smoke is passed thru largest channel, which does affect the flavor somewhat. So, I laid off these for a while. But as of end 2007, I have tried them again, and have to report, construction and appearance turned for the better, at least for the time being.

Coincidentally, Quintero is mentioned. I plan on reviewing this cheapie also, as its flavor profile differs from JLP but is also a great value for money.

Rob

I may know someone who has two of these resting in his vinotemp from 05'. He wants to smoke em, and I hear this review doesn't help his patience. :sign:

Nice review. I recently bought 3 boxes of JLP Petit Cazadores due to the satisfaction / price point. I love JLP cigars.

Thanks for the Review I will have to try and find some place that sells these they sound like a nice Fishing Smoke rp

Never had these but I really enjoy the JLP cremas, especially on the golf course.

Nice review.

Since we're on the topic of JLP's, which I do buy quite a bit of for go a to and so do other people apparently. Has anyone noticed that the quality of this years batch (white bands) has improved construction wise? they last couple fivers of Cremas I've picked up have been constructed way better than the last few years?
Or did I just get lucky with a batch?

I am not sure Snoozer. The ones I have are still brown labeled. Don`t remember the code, as I tossed cardboard packaging and put them in cedar cabinet. I am aware only of newest line extension of Petit Cazadores that have white labels. I plan on ordering those next week, along with a few of every major cuban robusto for review series. But I have seen some JLPs in tin jars on the Web that had very ironed-out wrappers, silky and beautiful, like more prestigious brands. Here is the LINK (I was forced to remove it) . Will let you know how Petits look and smoke in the near future review.

I am not sure Snoozer. The ones I have are still brown labeled. Don`t remember the code, as I tossed cardboard packaging and put them in cedar cabinet. I am aware only of newest line extension of Petit Cazadores that have white labels. I plan on ordering those next week, along with a few of every major cuban robusto for review series. But I have seen some JLPs in tin jars on the Web that had very ironed-out wrappers, silky and beautiful, like more prestigious brands. Here is the Will let you know how Petits look and smoke in the near future review.

PLEASE TAKE THE LINK OUT OF YOUR POST AND READ THE FORUM RULES ON ISOM'S HERE

i am posting this from my mobile so excuse the typos. Have read forum rules, if you read my post thoroughly, you saw there was no refferal, discussion nor comment on any source. The link is gone and was posted only in regards to the photo i mentioned. I have no more comments on the matter...

Good point Snoozer

I smoked a lot of JLP when I started seriously smoking. But with each bundle purchased, more and more were plugged. I used to ease the draw with poker, but that is poor solution as the majority of air and smoke is passed thru largest channel, which does affect the flavor somewhat. So, I laid off these for a while. But as of end 2007, I have tried them again, and have to report, construction and appearance turned for the better, at least for the time being.

Coincidentally, Quintero is mentioned. I plan on reviewing this cheapie also, as its flavor profile differs from JLP but is also a great value for money.

Rob

Geez Rob, I've never had a plugged JLP but I haven't smoked them in a while, none in the last year or so. When I do have slightly plugged cigars (48-49 RG), I used a fancy poker I bought from Jim D that is is knurled which works great. I don't think I've ever used it on a 40-42 RG cigar though but I can see where a poker on a smaller RG cigar might no work so well.

I have had a lot ofJLPs plugged, especially prior to 2007, rolled like concrete... others refused to burn like they were made of asbestos... Got tired of constantly dealing with problems... It started to become anoyance rather than enjoyment... Draw tools are rather poor solution IMO. Yes, it allows for smoking a plugged cigar, but the flavors usually cannot compare to smokes that draw correctly... My two cents...