• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

ISOM Review - Vegas Robaina Clasicos

oak

Let it burn...
Smoked a Vegas Robaina Clasicos earlier tonight and thought I'd post a review. I've never smoked anything by Vegas Robaina before - and was really happy with the experience.

This is a different sized cigar than I normally go after, 6.5" long by 42 ring. I normally go for a larger diameter cigar as a rule - though not for any particular reason. Here's a pic I grabbed off the Web:

vegasClasicos.jpg

I sat down to smoke this one about an hour after a fairly heavy dinner, with a large class of ice water as its only accompaniment. This was accomplished on the couch in my living room with the window opened a bit to let the smoke flow out at its own pace (yes - my wife likes the smell of cigar smoke).

The cigar was very well made, and flawless in appearance. Just feeling it my fingers, it felt like one of the firmest cigars I've ever smoked - firm enough to use as a weapon when defending against a crowd of rabid children - at least in a pinch. :D

I cut the end with my scissors, and gave it a nice open cut - almost cutting too much - but not quite. It lit up very easily and evenly - and after lighting up - it proved to have a medium to tight draw - but no where near as tight as its feel would have made me guess.

This was a strong cigar, but not at all harsh... very smooth and easy going down. It burned very evenly throughout (almost perfectly) but did not hold a long ash (about 1 inch and then falling off on its own). The taste was very good throughout, starting with lots of flavor and getting more as it went - mostly with tones of coffee and nuts - with an undertone of something like vanilla.

Flavor was consistent throughout in terms of how it tasted, but the strength of the flavor built gently until I let it go out (with just less than 2 inches left). I let it go out before the flavor ever got harsh - as I didn't want to end such a satisfying experience with a sour note.

Overall, this is a very good medium (maybe bordering on strong - but not quite) smoke - and reminded me a bit of the Partagas Series D's I've smoked. I'm looking forward to trying my other one (which is both longer and thicker) and comparing the two - but I think there is a box of some kind of Vegas Robaina somewhere in my future.

That's it for this one.

Cheers,

- Oak

Great review oak! These are supposedly one of the strongest Havanas out there. I find they have more punch than the Partagas. VR's are right up there on the top of my favorite Havana list along with RA's and H. Upmanns. I owe it all to SamGuss who gifted my my first VR when I had no idea what it even was.

I agree, I normally go after a larger ring as well but I think his is a very nice size. I LOVE VR's and I've got a box of Famosos on the way and the funny thing was I just saw the clasicos on another website and I said to myself "DARN, (well, something like that :D ) I wished I had gotten the Clasicos instead of the famosos. I already have a stach of Don Alejandros but I wanted to supplement that with a smaller VR so I went with the Famosos.

You know, this cigar didn't seem all that strong to me when I smoked it (medium bordering on strong). However, I've been wired for a couple hours afterwards - which usually only happens to me with the strongest smokes. I'm not used to this kind of strength without feeling it happen.

Best of all worlds, I suppose... ;)

- Oak

Well according to Min Ron Nee, "The cigars are very strong in tobacco taste and robust in strength. The blend also sports a subtle salty taste. New cigars are noticeably quite bitter and tannic, which is not considered bad at all by Cuban and Spanish cigar culture."

Actually he does go on to say "I find the Don Aljendro, Unicos and Famosos indistinguishable in taste from each other. The Clasicos and Familiars are 'milder' by comparison."

Well okay first off "salty" I dunno, I don't sense that but my taste buds are half shot so....... who knows :p

Secondly, he does say the Clasicos are milder than the DA's & the Famosos so that might explain our slightly different observations. Fortunately, my DA's are "aged", I paid a little extra for that. Mine are April of 2000 so they're almost four years old. MRN is a BIG fan of aging cigars which personally, I do not have the patience for and secondly, I kinda like the bitter and tannic taste anyway, kinda makes me feel "cuban" or something :D

One way or the other, I still LOVE VR's!!! Any size, any age!!!

I'll smoke a VR anyday of the week!! A very good all around cigar. One of my favs! :love:

[SIZE=11pt]I like this cigar very musch. Smooth velvet of texture, slightly sweet spice notes vie with cream and chocolate on the tongue.[/SIZE]

Great review. Thanks for taking time to post it.
Love VR's for the price point

Holy necro-bump...

Usually I prefer narrow ring guages, but with Vegas Robaina the Familiar and the Clasicos were the two lagards of the marca.  They were discontinued in 2012, but you can still find them around if you search a little bit.

For my money, the Unicos and Famosos are pure Habanos bliss.  The Don Alejandro remains the only one I haven't smoked, but I have a DEC 11 stick waiting patiently in my humidor...

Huh. 2004 review bumped? Nice! Never even heard of 'em. Adult supervision out of town, AMEX in hand, high-speed internet, impulse buy problems with cigars, surrounded by enablers on this site...oh yeah! :p

-Trey

P.S. I only do this so as to contribute to the greater good and knowledge base by doing a review and watching an obscure B-horror movie. *bows* I do my part.

These are the few ISOM smoke brands I haven't tried.  Since you guys brought this back from the dead, I may have to try some.