• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Shaving thread

Gunpowder

Cigar Search & destroy V 1.20
Tried to search to no avail but seems I recall there was a thread on shaving that discussed online sources for supplies.

Anyway, a call out to those who strive for the old fashion shave. While I have some Mach3 blades in the cabinet, I yearn and use the old fashion double blades. Any of you using an online site to order your blades, bar soap, etc. Up to now I have used the discount double blades at Walgreen's and shaving soap sold there.

On a side note, boy I wish I could get an old fashion hair cu toot. Had one once with all the tonics, the shave, and the whole bit. Had a discussion with the barber on how the kids these days don't like the lotions, etc since they have their own cologne. That was back in '89. My last hair cut cost $13 and he buzzed my head. That was several years ago. I bought a shaver and never looked back.

I think there is a community called the shaving den which is much like cigar boards except for shaving. I remember seeing they had all kinds of information for buying stuff.

I love our local barbers here. Nice hair cuts topped with a straight-blade shave. :thumbs:

I have an old fashion barber. He gives you a great cut with a straight razor shave to the back of the neck complete with the hot lather. He has playboy magazines for the wait and bazooka gum for the little tikes.

A few years ago he went to Cuba and got himself a little wife. They take trips back to visit her family twice a year. As a result of those trips he keeps a small humi in the shop. :whistling:

Needless to say I love haircut time!

Shaving thread

Hmmm... not what I was hoping for in this thread... :laugh:

I use an electric for the convinience... however you spell that word. Not the closest shave, but it works well enough.

He gives you a great cut with a straight razor shave to the back of the neck complete with the hot lather.

That's awesome... I love going to barbers like that, but they're pretty hard to find anymore.

I use a straight razor on my head and face and, although the accessories are higher speed, it's still used in the same fashion as the shaving of yesterday. I get all my supplies
Here

Great to see a thread on shaving. I have recently discovered the 'lost' art of the wet shave , I love the new Fusion razors, the blades are pricey but the shave you get is magnificent. As far as products to use, I reccomend Truefitt and Hill preshave oil and I love Geo F Trumper shave creams. You can apply it by hand but I reccomend getting a badger hair brush (not cheap, but long lasting). I have found that instead of splashing aftershave/cologne on your face (which will dry your skin out) that a good aftershave balm like Geo F Trumper Skinfood leaves your face clean and soothed. As far as cologne goes again i use Astor by Trumper or Trafalgar by Truefitt and Hill and apply it much later ,or if in a hurry, to my neck and behind my ears. You should be able to find these products online fairly easily. I am finding shaving is no longer a chore but an indulgence to look forward to, much like a cigar.

:edited for punctuation

Pete

Badger & Blade is a friendly and highly informative forum, albeit a rather fussily over-moderated one. Good people, lots of info, sellers, supply links, leads. My shaving brush was a project B&B designed, had made, and sold through the forum.

I use a '75 Gillette SS and a '61 Fatboy Gillette adj., and Red Personna blades. The blades I get off eBay . . . there's a seller who imports them. Don't have the link offhand, but put it in search there and Personna and Derby suppliers abound.

~Boar

My Grandfather was a barber and gave me a straight razor, mug and brush when I was a teenager. I flirted with it but the straight razor scared the $hit out of me and I stopped using it after a couple of attempts. I've recently thought about trying it again.

I use a Gillette I got at an auction. Not sure what year it is. Still using Williams soap since I haven't found anything else. Need a new brush since mine from Walmart just broke. Thus this thread.

Beyond the Band-I wish I could find a barber like that around here. Seems there is a market if someone would advertise an authentic old fashion barber shop.

I'm a wetshaver too. I switch between using a Mekur HD, a 55 Fatboy & a Bostonian. Using a badger brush and a quality cream beats the heck out of that crap you get from a can. If you don't get too caught up in collecting razors it is also a lot cheaper than buying cartridges for todays razors. Oddly enough, the only forum I have ever been banned from was a shaving forum. Imagine, getting banned from a forum filled with a bunch of nerds that like to talk about old razers. :laugh:

I have used a cup, mug and brush since I was about 10 ( :laugh: ) because I thought the florocarbons were destroying the ozone and creating a "hole" in the atmosphere over the south pole. It was a really incovenient "truth" that I was not going to be part of. But, I liked the hot lather and have continued to use the bristle brushes and mug for a nice hot lather ever since. No need to put them in the quart baggie at the airport either. I looked at one of the hot lather machines, the kind barbers use, a number of years ago but did not pull the trigger. Still, it would be nice to have.

I use a disposable Schick twin blade with Edge Pro-gel, and whatever soap is cheapest at the store when I'm there. Also, it may be no surprise that I hate shaving.

Straight razor shaver here. Use a 1835 W. Greaves 9/8 Wedge 3 days out of 5. Also have some customs and other old guys.

classicshaving is good, as is straightrazordesigns, lee's (above) is awesome, too.

The Shave Den is not as big or active as Badger and Blade, but might be a little more friendly, though both are friendly. I am a member at both, as well as straightrazorplace.com

I've using the brush and naked steel for about 3 years now. Dovo straight razor...Norton waterstone... I need a new brush and strop, though. They're very tired. I like the Truefitt & Hill creams, pre-shave oil, and after shave balms. My usual routine is put a dab of the cream on my brush and whip it on top of a cake of Col. Conk's cake soap. Makes a nice rich lather.

Kingsley (Pure Badger) Brush
Merkur Double Edge Safety Razor
Grooming Lounge Beard Master Shave Oil
Musco Real Shave Cream

Always happy with the shave. :)

-Mark

edited to add. Don't forget a styptic pen!

I use truefitand hill products and also Zihr. Best quality products. I have very sensitive skin. And these products do not cause any irritation.

I use truefit and hill Brush, razor and shaving cream.
I use Zihr after shave soothing balm.

As luck would have it my cigar shop carries all the shaving accessories I need. Now all they need is a barber..LOL!

Shaving thread

Hmmm... not what I was hoping for in this thread... :laugh:

I use an electric for the convinience... however you spell that word. Not the closest shave, but it works well enough.

He gives you a great cut with a straight razor shave to the back of the neck complete with the hot lather.

That's awesome... I love going to barbers like that, but they're pretty hard to find anymore.

Yeah I read it as "Shaved" and jumped in thinking it was another type of thread :blush: :love:

Barbasol and Schick Titanium ... really this answer works for both threads :whistling:

I use a straight (Dovo and Heljestrand) Mama Bear makes great soap and aftershave!

Rene