• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

What are you brewing?

smellysell

Go Vols!!!
I did my first AG batch last night (Rye IPA). I hit the target OG almost dead one with 74% efficiency, so I have plenty of room for improvement. My breakfast stout is in the bottles and done conditioning (though it doesn't taste very good :laugh: )

RyePa001.jpg

Looks delicious Justin! My good buddy just finished a rye IPA and also the Pliny the elder recipe. I was wondering how that breakfast stout was coming along.

Just put in the secondary, my Honey Brown Ale.

Working on a grain order to brew up 2 half batches of my next two creations a Pale Ale and a Coffee / Chocolate Porter.

Justin, I hope yours turns out as good as it looks.

Tim

Me too, that pic was taken about 6 hours after pitching, so I think it's a good thing I used a blowoff hose! I'm thinking about doing a Baltic Porter next, anybody have a good recipe for one?

Me too, that pic was taken about 6 hours after pitching, so I think it's a good thing I used a blowoff hose! I'm thinking about doing a Baltic Porter next, anybody have a good recipe for one?

Baltic Porter This is for a 10 gal batch, but you can scale it down.
Thred with Recipes Here is a thread from Home Brew Talk, my Brew Board.....There are a few recipes in the thread.

Also as long as you have the base grains down, any brew software will help you get it into style. I have the recipe for the coffee/chocolate porter if you would like it.

Tim

I did my first AG batch last night (Rye IPA). I hit the target OG almost dead one with 74% efficiency, so I have plenty of room for improvement. My breakfast stout is in the bottles and done conditioning (though it doesn't taste very good :laugh: )

RyePa001.jpg
Looks good! Is that your first AG or first in awhile? I ask because getting 74% on the first is doing pretty good, IMO.
Next weekend I'm brewing 20 gal with a buddy, a Wee Heavy and an O'Dells 90 Schilling inspired brew.

http://i154.photobucket.com/albums/s275/sm...er/RyePa001.jpg
Looks good! Is that your first AG or first in awhile? I ask because getting 74% on the first is doing pretty good, IMO.
Next weekend I'm brewing 20 gal with a buddy, a Wee Heavy and an O'Dells 90 Schilling inspired brew.

First ever

Baltic Porter This is for a 10 gal batch, but you can scale it down.
Thred with Recipes Here is a thread from Home Brew Talk, my Brew Board.....There are a few recipes in the thread.

Also as long as you have the base grains down, any brew software will help you get it into style. I have the recipe for the coffee/chocolate porter if you would like it.

Tim

I was actually looking at the first recipe, and think I'm gonna do a scaled down, slightly tweaked version of that. I think I'm gonna use an ale yeast too since the more I read the clearer it becomes that I don't have the necessary equipment for lagering (guess I'll have to call it an "imperial" or "robust" porter instead).

Drop it on a London or British ale yeast, and ferment at the low end of the temp range. Keep the pitching temp down and this will help out with head retention as well.

I will pitch my Porter on a package of Nottingham yeast.

Tim

I finished up my first home brew batch this weekend. Brewed an Irish Red Ale partial grain/extract - I cheated this time around, I figured for my first I'd stick with a recipe kit. Brew day was the day after Christmas, then it spent 1 week in the primary, 2 in the secondary and about a month in the bottles. It came out great, a tad hoppy for an irish red, but VERY tasty!

IMG_4184.jpg

IMG_4295.jpg

I finished up my first home brew batch this weekend. Brewed an Irish Red Ale partial grain/extract - I cheated this time around, I figured for my first I'd stick with a recipe kit. Brew day was the day after Christmas, then it spent 1 week in the primary, 2 in the secondary and about a month in the bottles. It came out great, a tad hoppy for an irish red, but VERY tasty!

http://i224.photobucket.com/albums/dd106/i...er/IMG_4184.jpg

http://i224.photobucket.com/albums/dd106/i...er/IMG_4295.jpg

Awesome! It's addicting isn't it? The hops will fade with time so I'm sure the longer you wait the more happy you'll be.

My Rye IPA is dry hopping right now, waiting for my bottlecaps that I forgot to order to show up and then I'll bottle. Next on deck is gonna be a blueberry sour.

Just pitched a partial Smoked Porter... OG was dead on at 1.060.

Should be done just in time for DLD. :)

We did some nice hard cider this year and just tried a bottle not sure what I did wrong but it was tasty but really Dry.

Awesome! It's addicting isn't it? The hops will fade with time so I'm sure the longer you wait the more happy you'll be.

Very much so! And you were right, even just another week or so and that overly hoppy flavor has diminished a bit, it's rounding out to be a fantastic beer, I couldn't be happier with the results for a first brew. The longer it seems to linger the better it gets - I'll have to store a few bottles in the back of the frig and forget about them to compare, otherwise they sure won't last through the end of the month... :laugh: