• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

OR Anejo #49

dulaney22

Banned
Here she is . . . the double corona OR Anejo. I haven't been a big fan of the Anejos I've experienced, so I was anxious to see what almost a decade of aging would do to this dark beast.

Dark . . . this stick doesn't have a maduro wrapper . . . it has to be oscuro. The oily wrapper was pretty lumpy and had a couple of prominent veins, along with some small cracks which, luckily, didn't affect the smoke. Pre-light, the smell was somewhere between ammonia and an air freshener. Feel was very firm to the touch . . . very little give whatsoever.

I clipped her with the Xikar scissors I've grown to love and, as is the case with all Fuentes I've smoked, the draw was spot on. Rich cream and nuts were the first flavors to appear. Unfortunately, they dissipated and the flavors presented as dull wood for most of the first third. About a third in, the flavor turned to what I would describe as a granola smoothie. The aftertaste had a texture about it that reminded me of some I had in Jamaica earlier this year. The second third built in strength just a touch, with the appearance of some sweet spice. This came and went with a rotation of woody flavors and nuts. The granola undertone remained. Towards the end of the second third, the smoke really built in strength and flavor. Rich coffee and chocolate notes started to prevail and the spice was a little heavier. All the previously mentioned flavors were present and more robust in nature.

Overall, this was a good smoke. I didn't particularly care for the flavor profile (I just don't with the Anejos, for whatever reason), but what is there is rich and full.

Slide1-7.jpg

The cello looks like it's pretty old, but the cigar from inside looks recent? ???

The cello looks like it's pretty old, but the cigar from inside looks recent? ???

I thought there would have been a lot more yellow on the band. The white boarder looks really crisp and fresh. Still a wonderful cigar. Thanks for the review.

What he said, typically the OR anejos aren't quite that erm.... shiny at this point. FWIW they are more than a decade old because the wrapper in the OR was aged 7 years already when released in 2000. How did it compare to other anejos in terms of strength?

I thought there would have been a lot more yellow on the band. The white boarder looks really crisp and fresh. Still a wonderful cigar. Thanks for the review.

My point exactly!
I've had quite a few Anejo's with age and a couple of OR. None of them had a band that looked that crisp, especially with the white. Nor did the wrapper look that oily.
Almost looks like someone switched out an OR with recent production inside that cello.

I have some real aged cigars, however the only cigar I have that resembles the yellow hue of the Anejo wrapper pictured above is a 1950 pre embargo Henry Clay. I've never seen an Anejo with a bleached white banned inside of a yellow wrapper. Typically, a yellow wrapper indicates the cigar has been sitting for many years, and the oils/nicotine have married onto the wrapper... Interesting...

I had a 50s Por Larranaga and while band, very little tint if any. Interesting.

Plus: Flash may have changed the coloring

It's not that white next to a new one. iPhoto's enhance changes the constrast and it looks a lot whiter in the pic. Some of her siblings have a more yellowed and worn band. Most of these have the spots Greg talks about in his review of the OR 55.

Edit: Greg got some of her sisters . . . he'll probably be better equipped to answer the questions.

Some of them are stuck in the cello with no way of getting them out except to rip the cello and they have the same bands. They are beautiful. I have smoked 2 of them and they are stunning! There's no way in hell they are recent production. Happy smoking fellas!

So....you have a whiter than white band, but with utterly stained yellow cello. And this is an OR? Who'd you buy it from, you high-roller you? ???

Here's a pic of the band next to an '07 band without flash and without the benefit of any software correction:

DSC04446.jpg

Some of the others have more staining.

05, 03, 06, OR, OR, 07.
DSC04732.jpg

DSC04729edit2-1.jpg

DSC04729edit3-1.jpg

Never been opened. Sealed with yummy goodness!
DSC04734.jpg

I have never seen a band show it's age within a few years really. You can see little to no difference between all the different bands above.

I've not received mine yet. If they don't come in today, they'll more than likely be sitting in in a warehouse/truck until Monday since there's no mail tomorrow. I'm really hoping they show up today so that doesn't happen.

I haven OR 48 and a 55 waiting to be smoked. I haven't been too impressed with the younger Anejos so I am interested to try the ORs.

Lee those look beautiful. Since you dont like em, go ahead and send them to me, I'll be glad to take them off your hands!

As has been said a million times before it is impossible to give a comprehensive assessment of a cigar from pics online. It simply is just not going to happen. I have several cigars from the 50's, 60's, 70's, and so on and have compared them with fresh sticks and many of the bands are not that much different. Storage-ect is a huge factor to the chemistry.

Enjoy them Anejo guys! I remember when I first started smoking and was gifted a #50 it was a very pleasant smoking expereince. I wish I had a box of OR #50.

Jim

What he said, typically the OR anejos aren't quite that erm.... shiny at this point. FWIW they are more than a decade old because the wrapper in the OR was aged 7 years already when released in 2000. How did it compare to other anejos in terms of strength?

I was thinking the same thing. The OR Anejo's I've had didn't have that kind of sheen to them, plus my bands (yes I compared) did show a significant difference in the brightness of the white.