• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Bobalu Double Maduro Torpedo

handypilot

I spent July 4th away from my family for work, which isn't unusual, but I was able to hit my first boutique cigar shop...Bobalu in Austin, TX.

I didn't have any intention of going there that afternoon, especially when it was 105 degrees outside. This WI boy was very much content on being in my hotel room...with the air on high. However, we finished work at noon and I need something to do (trolling CP only lasts an hour). The cabbie told me about a good B&M downtown, so I hit google to see what there was and Bobalu popped up.

Long story short...I thought the shop was cool and their head Cuban roller was at work...very exciting to see live rolling for the first time.

I picked up a couple of sticks to sample in the next few weeks and one to smoke that day. The one I smoked was a White Label Petit Figurado...an OK smoke but nothing the caught my attention. It was stonger than their description led me to believe, and there was a bit of spice in the flavor. This is not the cigar I'm righting about though, but it led me to believe the others wouldn't be that great...just OK.

I was wrong.

Last night I smoked a Double Maduro Torpedo. Here's the poop:

Wrapper: Double Maduro Nicaragua
Binder: Nicaragua - is it me or is this supposed to be maduro also? I got this description from their website.
Filler:Nicaragua

52 x 6" Torpedo/Belicoso

Overall I really liked this cigar, but I'm partial to Maduros. Prelight draw was very good for a torpedo, and it had had a nice earthy/compost smell. Taste was very creaming and smooth with hints of caramel/chocolate sweetness that left me smacking my lips. There was a bit of spice hiding in there initially and more at the end...nice, but short finish. This is a medium bodied cigar just like their website says.

The burn was really good at first but had a minor hiccup that corrected itself. I never had to relight it, so it liked my humi levels nicely!

I didn't take any pictures, but here is the pict of the robusto from their website. I will definitely be ordering some boxes with custom labels on them! This was a great smoke it had the body that a newb would like and the flavor for a FOG.

blue%20double%20maduro%202w.jpg

Edit: I tried another stick and it was indeed medium bodied, it started out mild but finished full.

I used to go to that shop all the time when I was living near Austin.
They are a great bunch of guys and the cigars are pretty good, imho.

Thanks for the review.

Tim

I used to go to that shop all the time when I was living near Austin.
They are a great bunch of guys and the cigars are pretty good, imho.

Thanks for the review.

Tim

I see you're in Brussels now...are you Belgian? If so I must say that Swiss chocolate and German beer is better! ;)

JK, I used to fly with some Belgian guys in Europe and they would get all worked up when I told them that! :sign:

BTW a quick update:
I took apart the nub to "take a look under the hood" and see if it really was a "double" maduro. It seems as though only the wrapper was maduro because the binder was o'natural. Is this technically a double maduro? Because I was under the impression that a true double maduro had a maduro wrapper and binder. Correct me if I'm wrong.

I've yet to try the house blend of the B&M I frequent, you have inspired me now. Sounds like it was an enjoyable smoke! :)

As for the double maduro question, aren't some double maduros rolled with two wrappers? I could have sworn I saw that somewhere...then again, I could be completely wrong. Bah!

I've yet to try the house blend of the B&M I frequent, you have inspired me now. Sounds like it was an enjoyable smoke! :)

As for the double maduro question, aren't some double maduros rolled with two wrappers? I could have sworn I saw that somewhere...then again, I could be completely wrong. Bah!

Could be the case, but this only had one wrapper. I did read somewhere that double maduro can mean the color of the wrapper, but I think this is wrong.