• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Ramon Allones Specially Selected 2000

Kingantz

Growing too fast.
What a special treat! This is another of the cigars received in a recent PIF and am really looking forward to putting fire to it. I’m not sure, but I think the oldest RASS I’ve had is a ’05, and all of those are now long gone. The wrapper on this one is a chocolate brown, has noticeable oil, and several veins running the length. It is obvious this cigar has been very well taken care of. Holding it in the hand, the weight feels a little on the light side, however the bunching in the foot looks to be overfilled and squeezing the cigar along the length it is quite firm. I have to admit I’m a little nervous that there will be either an overly tight draw, or one that is too loose, however after punching the cap I find the draw almost spot on. Maybe just a tad bit too much resistance, however I have a feeling more than enough air is flowing through, and am getting tastes of well matured tobacco.

I take my time lighting the foot, very much enjoying the smell of the smoke emanating from the glowing orange embers that are forming. Once I’m satisfied that the burn is good enough, I take a few puffs, let the cigar sit for a number of seconds, take a few more puffs and then a long, slow draw. There’s a mild spice on the back of the throat with the smoke itself quite mild as well. Delicious Ramon Allones flavors coat the palate, that of rich, dark, sweetened cocoa, cinnamon, wood, and worn leather. A lasting finish is left on the palate that is oh so good.

The burn wants to lean to one side, but only very slightly, and the dark gray ash forming looks quite rough, however holds strong until tapped off in the ashtray at about an inch or so. As I get further in, it seems the draw is getting tighter, and I have to puff a few times prior to taking a fairly hard draw on the cigar. Having to do this is unfortunately distorting the true flavor that I know is there, causing it to be a bit tannic, or metallic if you will.

The cigar is warmed up and somewhat spongy, so I massage it a bit over the length and then roll it between my index finger and thumb right above the band, hoping to loosen up the tobacco a bit. Sadly, it doesn’t help very much and the draw continues to be right on that edge of having just too much resistance. I go ahead and use my Palio to clip a small amount off the head, then try squeezing the cigar in a couple different spots while drawing to see if that helps, however it’s just not working.

I continue massaging and puffing, and upon reaching around the halfway point, I begin to get a good amount of smoke through the draw. Not just a good amount, but a perfect amount as the tannic, metallic taste completely disappears and is replace with what I knew was there. Incredibly rich and wonderfully delicious flavor! Dark, sweet cocoa, worn leather and roasted nuts come through with the spiciness changing from mild to almost a medium. I get a tingling in the nostrils as I let smoke escape through the nose.

Heading into the final third, the burn is sharp with a mottled gray ash forming. The smoke is now a good medium in strength, coating the palate perfectly with rich, delicious flavor and a lasting finish on the palate after exhaling. I smoke the cigar down until my fingers start to burn, thoroughly enjoying it to the very end. With the exception of the tight draw in the first third, this was one incredibly good cigar and very much appreciate having the opportunity to sample such a specimen.

10-24-09RASS001.jpg

10-24-09RASS002.jpg

10-24-09RASS003.jpg

I couldnt decide what to smoke tonight sitting in my backyard while listening to my REDRAIDERS beat up on the aggies.

After reading your review, it reminded me of a few RASS I had sitting in the humidor. It has been probably a little over a year since I smoked the last one. Wow, what a great smoke. I am half way through it now, thanks for reminding me of a fantastic cigar.

I've heard so much about the RASS, that it's a fantastic smoke, it's a must try cigar etc. and I've never been fortunate enough to see any Ramon Allones on the shelves at my B&M. Luckily I was able to pick one up from Newfie's pass that's headed cross country. Now I'm excited to fire it up!

RASS are great smokes. The '08s are smoking really good already. I had an '02 last night and it was fantastic.

These have become one of my favorite smokes too. Lots of flavor (when the draw isn't too tight). Like smoking chocolate :)