• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

I'm glad I knew better

wkoti

Flaky McFlakerton
So a worker at B & M was showing us around, being a normal talkative and informative guy until I came across a box of Rocky Patel The Edge. I bent down to grab a belicoso and came across this box of stoogies. After examining the stick I quickly realized this sticks were brand new and covered in mold, after nicely bringing it too his attention privately, he began to not be so nice. He told me it was plume and plume starts to form when the cigars are "Happy, and oils become sugars". I gave him my knowledge of plume and the time frame I was aware it started and at this point is when he told me "If you realized how long I've been doing this and had any kind of knowledge, you wouldn't be challenging me. Smoke for a few more years and we will talk." I of course quickly apologized for disagreeing with his knowledge, telling him I must have had the wrong information, where he stormed out of the humidor, calling me wet behind the ears. I'm glad I know better and that this isn't my first rodeo. I flipped over the box and it was dated November 2009, where I noticed it was sitting directly next to the humidifier. Anyone want a moldy Rocky Patel The Edge Churchill? I can get it for just above MSRP + Shipping??? :laugh: Thanks CP, I might have just gotten sick or worse, infected my entire stock if I hadn't had the knowledge I picked up from CP and it's members!!! :thumbs: :thumbs: :thumbs:

WKOTI

mms_picture.jpg

Pretty nasty sticks. Some people are so prideful.

Seriously! Its not like HE DID IT, it's just a by product of high humidity. Lower your freakin' humidity, eat some humble pie, and stop ripping off good BOTLs with your stupid "plume" stories!

Should have asked him how long it takes for plume to form, and then taken him to these sticks, and pointed out the recent box date

What store was this ????

PJ

Would that be proper etiquette? I would hate to ruin anyone's business, because of a loser employee you know? But I don't want anyone else to walk in there and buy an infected stick and ruin their stock? A little help with this answer would be nice! :blush:

Pretty nasty sticks. Some people are so prideful.

That pride is going to waste a whole box, if not more boxes, because of airborne mold spores spreading, some buddies of mine and I are headed that way tonight, I'll stop in and see what it looks like now! :laugh:

Should have asked him how long it takes for plume to form, and then taken him to these sticks, and pointed out the recent box date

I told him from what I understand it takes many years, perfect storage conditions, and high oil content. He then brushed me off with the "You're to young to know anything bullsh*t", I could tell he was getting quiet angry, so I just let it go. Why ruin a place to smoke when conditions outside suck? I just won't buy cigars that I don't inspect them 148% from there!

Seems like any store with this kind of employee deserves any back lash they may get from blatant stupidity.

PJ

Happens way too often and at some of the biggest name vendors there are.

Just my 2 cents but before you said any store names I would probably give them a call or stop in again and ask to talk to the owner or a manager. Just explain everything and if they are just as much of a douche then they deserve all the lost business that listing their name would do.

Look at them with a magnifying glass, and it is easy to see the stems and spores at the top of the stems.

You might never know if he was just clueless, or trying to cover his butt.

Anyone got a magnifying glass I can borrow? I would just hate to cause any sh*t, especially, because this is where the university goes for meetings and I am VP. I would hate to bring anything on the school, because of a simple problem of mold. ???

Anyone got a magnifying glass I can borrow? I would just hate to cause any sh*t, especially, because this is where the university goes for meetings and I am VP. I would hate to bring anything on the school, because of a simple problem of mold. ???

All the more reason to say something. Management needs to know that things like this are going on if it is going to be a successful business. You don't even necessarily need to say anything about what the guy said to you or who it was if you don't want to but at\least let them know about the moldy sticks.

Wkoti- I'll put money that if you brought it up in a professional manner to the store manager or owner - they would thank you for it. If they don't.....well you did the right thing and you can let them wallow in there stupidity. This isn't the same place you got your new Travel Humi is it?

R

Wkoti- I'll put money that if you brought it up in a professional manner to the store manager or owner - they would thank you for it. If they don't.....well you did the right thing and you can let them wallow in there stupidity. This isn't the same place you got your new Travel Humi is it?

R

The unfortunate part is that it is, I really like the place, as does the university, and I would hate to put them in hot water. So I will stop by tomorrow (got tied up tonight with the Mayweather vs. Mosley fight) and talk to them about it privately. It's just bologna being so young, I'm looked at like a peon (not that I'm not :laugh:), but it's just ridiculous you would have hard headed employee that acts like that. I'm not the most seasoned veteran, but I know quite a bit, and was trying to be nice to a B & M, which needs as much help as it gets. What's a kid to do? ???

Wkoti- I'll put money that if you brought it up in a professional manner to the store manager or owner - they would thank you for it. If they don't.....well you did the right thing and you can let them wallow in there stupidity. This isn't the same place you got your new Travel Humi is it? R
The unfortunate part is that it is, I really like the place, as does the university, and I would hate to put them in hot water. So I will stop by tomorrow (got tied up tonight with the Mayweather vs. Mosley fight) and talk to them about it privately. It's just bologna being so young, I'm looked at like a peon (not that I'm not
laugh.gif
), but it's just ridiculous you would have hard headed employee that acts like that. I'm not the most seasoned veteran, but I know quite a bit, and was trying to be nice to a B & M, which needs as much help as it gets. What's a kid to do?
unsure.gif
All you can do is be polite and respectful and if at the end of the day they still treat you the same way- decide if you still want to do business with them- in this day and age/economy your money truly talks- the only age they should be worried about in their shop are minors everyone else's cash spends the same. You're not going to put the business in hot water for letting them know they have a potential mold problem- you're truly doing them a favor. If I walked in and saw those sticks and got the response you got I would have promptly left and found another B&M to do business with. It's yours to decide if at the end of the day the overall treatment, value, and environment of that store meets your desires and requirements as a consumer. It could just be you found the one royal Ahole on the store staff and after you talk to the management/owner you find the rest of this whole ordeal to be much more pleasant. Obviously they did something right for you in the past to make you fret this much over the incident and what to do.

Good luck!

I would of told him to have one with his lunch if it was plume it should be the best cigar ever right? No but serially it's a tough thing to do on one hand you don't want to offend the owner or BOLT that work there on the other hand where does it stop. If that box is bad the others around will eventually come to the same fate. :thumbs:

I found some cigars in a local shop that looked exactly like that, maybe even worse. I don't remember what they were, but they were also right underneath the humidifier. As soon as you enter the humidor, you can tell the humidity is way too high.