• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

How to ship cigars...

ShadMan

Shiner Bock Whore
What method (packing, etc.) do/would you use to ship:

1 cigar?

3-4 cigars?

10 cigars?

Do you use boxes, padded envelopes, tubes, PVC pipe, tupperware, or what?

One

In a baggy wrapped in bubble wrap, then in a VHS box. Peanuts if necessary.

Five

Same

Ten or more

Depending on the size of the sticks, in whatever type of box they'll fit in. Heck, sometimes I just send em' in a cigar box w/ some peanuts in it to keep them from shifting. Otherwise I Bag em', wrap em' in bubble wrap, then put peanuts in the box to keep things from shifting.

I'll often wrap a distilled water soaked chunk of sponge loosely in plaztic wrap and stick that in there too. Learned that one from Triple_D

One cigar - plastic or metal tube if you have one works well. Plastic bag around that. I've only shipped one cigar though so I'm new at this. :D

If you werent already aware. The USPS will send you boxes, tape etc. free from there website. The only downfall, or positive, is that the boxes come in quanities of 25 so bombs away.

ads

Well, SD_Stack seemed to invent a new method for shipping last week for the Blind Taste Test Pass. Basically, he taped the two cigars in their individualy baggies to the insde of the box: no peanuts, bubble wrap, or damage :thumbs:

Cheers,
Dixie

It's been said before elsewhere, but always worth repeating....

I prefer to ship cigars individually bagged and double boxed with free delivery confirmation via usps priority.

The best ( ...and most cost effective!) system I have found for shipping up to ten cigars:

Order these small priority boxes, free from the usps:
Small Boxes

...and these large priority boxes, free from the usps:
Larger Boxes

...as well as a roll of this priority tape, free from the usps:
Tape

...and these baggies ( not free, but inexpensive @ $7.78 per 1000 plus shipping!) from Veripack:
Baggies

*Individually bag cigars to protect from damage.
*Place bagged cigars in SMALL usps priority box, along with with foam peanuts or bubble wrap!
*Insert filled SMALL box into LARGE usps priority box.
*Seal with usps priority tape.

Print out priority label with FREE delivery confirmation number here:
Shipping Label

Hope it helps!

golfgar said:
One cigar - plastic or metal tube if you have one works well. Plastic bag around that. I've only shipped one cigar though so I'm new at this. :D
Well lemme' tell ya, that one cigar you shipped in said metal tube arrived in great shape.

Those tubes are really nifty Larry. Thanks. Your somethin' somethin' is on the way.

Great info, everyone! Thanks! I wasn't aware of the free materials from the USPS, but I ordered some today. Also ordered some ziplocs from Veripac a couple days ago. Should be good to go within a week or so! ;)

Guys,

Maybe a dumb question(s) but...............

Why the 'special' ziplock bags? Why not use the 'snack' size bags (~1/4 the heighth of a regular sandwich bag) you can get at any store?

Is it a certain mil measurement that is important or is it the 'top' opening or what?

Thanks in advance for the insight. I've never shipped sticks to anyone, so when I do, I want it to be right.

M. Gipson ???

gawntrail said:
Guys,

Maybe a dumb question(s) but...............

Why the 'special' ziplock bags? Why not use the 'snack' size bags (~1/4 the heighth of a regular sandwich bag) you can get at any store?

Is it a certain mil measurement that is important or is it the 'top' opening or what?

Thanks in advance for the insight. I've never shipped sticks to anyone, so when I do, I want it to be right.

M. Gipson ???
The 2" x 8" fits virtually all sticks and at under $8.00 per 1000, price is righ.

Nicer for the coolidor too, IMHO.

I see about 3,000 packages a day. I unloaded about 1,500 of those out of a truck this morning. When shipping cigars you need to make sure that they will not move around after being boxed. Use shipping peanuts/ bubble wrap/ newspaper/ toilet paper (i've seen this b/f) it doesn't really matter as long as you pack it snug enough. When you feel that it is packed good enough that you can punt it across your living room several times and not damage the sticks then you are done.

I have some extra baggies if anyone needs some.

ShadMan said:
Great info, everyone! Thanks! I wasn't aware of the free materials from the USPS, but I ordered some today. Also ordered some ziplocs from Veripac a couple days ago. Should be good to go within a week or so! ;)
The proof is yet to be seen. I'll let you know how they traveled after I get my first package from ya.

:sign: :love: :sign:

geldor1 said:
The proof is yet to be seen. I'll let you know how they traveled after I get my first package from ya.

I'll make sure you're at the top of my super-secret list of targets to take out with impugnity via mailbox bombings! :D

Oops, guess it isn't all that secret if I tell ya, is it?!? :0 :p

:: Marking geldor1 off my super-secret list with lipstick in Steve Buscemi (Billy Madison) fashion....or am I?!? :: :0 :D

:sign:

Everything everyone else said plus:

Once you pack up the box, shake it hard.

If you hear anything, re-pack.

dixieland_conjunction said:
Well, SD_Stack seemed to invent a new method for shipping last week for the Blind Taste Test Pass. Basically, he taped the two cigars in their individualy baggies to the insde of the box: no peanuts, bubble wrap, or damage :thumbs:

Cheers,
Dixie
Now that is a great idea :thumbs:

Great feedback, everyone! I ordered supplies from the USPS and will probably experiment a little to find out what works best and is easiest. Interesting shipping method, SD_Stack!

:thumbs:

Now that you've gotten some great idea's....and there are some fantastic ones up there---- You need to make a test run! ;)

So feel free to send me a few cigars, or a few packages of cigars- and I'll report back how the sticks arrived! :0 :thumbs: :p

Toaster

Does anyone know a source for just cigar tubes? I have a few from what i've smoked, but does anyone sell just there cigar tubes? (either metal or plastic) to go into a envelope?