• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

How to tell my parents that I smoke cigars

Connor

I smoked some cigars with a close group of friends on July 4th, and I must say that I do enjoy it. I put the pipe that my grandpa gave me when I was five or so to use today, and I quite enjoyed that as well. I'm eighteen years old (I turned eighteen on June 24th, 2011), I make As and Bs in school, keep up with my schoolwork, go to work on time/when scheduled, do my job, overall I'm a very good kid. My parents could care less if I drink, whenever I go to hang with friends their words are "Don't drink and drive." My dad used to smoke when he was younger(I'm not going to say what hehe) so that's that. I'm really not sure how they'd react if they knew that I smoke cigars/pipes occasionally. My mom saw my lighter in my pocket one-two days ago and asked me if I smoke, I said no. I'm thinking if I keep this hidden it'll be ugly when they find out(note that I said when, not if...) Any advice will be greatly appreciated.

I smoked some cigars with a close group of friends on July 4th, and I must say that I do enjoy it. I put the pipe that my grandpa gave me when I was five or so to use today, and I quite enjoyed that as well. I'm eighteen years old (I turned eighteen on June 24th, 2011), I make As and Bs in school, keep up with my schoolwork, go to work on time/when scheduled, do my job, overall I'm a very good kid. My parents could care less if I drink, whenever I go to hang with friends their words are "Don't drink and drive." My dad used to smoke when he was younger(I'm not going to say what hehe) so that's that. I'm really not sure how they'd react if they knew that I smoke cigars/pipes occasionally. My mom saw my lighter in my pocket one-two days ago and asked me if I smoke, I said no. I'm thinking if I keep this hidden it'll be ugly when they find out(note that I said when, not if...) Any advice will be greatly appreciated.

My parents came home one day to me smoking a cigar by the pool. My Mom laughed and took a picture of me to put on facebook. My Dad came home and laughed at me and then went to talk to my Mom about it. Now they just dont want me to get cancer or rot my teeth out.

Its cigars, youre not going to alter your life negatively from this fine hobby. Just tell em you love it and its your hobby! They wont stop ya.

My parents came home one day to me smoking a cigar by the pool. My Mom laughed and took a picture of me to put on facebook. My Dad came home and laughed at me and then went to talk to my Mom about it. Now they just dont want me to get cancer or rot my teeth out.

Its cigars, youre not going to alter your life negatively from this fine hobby. Just tell em you love it and its your hobby! They wont stop ya.

I'd love to be able to go outside and enjoy my pipe or a fine cigar without having to worry about being caught, dunno how to tell them though, that's the problem I have. I might just smoke my pipe while they're on their way home, or just say "Hey mom, I smoke a pipe and a cigar, and so does my friend <name>." My mom absolutely adores my friend(the one I first smoked with) and his family, we've known each other for forever, and they are our dearest friends in life.

Just tell them... your thinking about it too much. This is supposed to be relaxing.

I'd love to be able to go outside and enjoy my pipe or a fine cigar without having to worry about being caught, dunno how to tell them though, that's the problem I have. I might just smoke my pipe while they're on their way home, or just say "Hey mom, I smoke a pipe and a cigar, and so does my friend <name>." My mom absolutely adores my friend(the one I first smoked with) and his family, we've known each other for forever, and they are our dearest friends in life.

Are you really being caught? Its not a crime. Youre smoking a cigar. Lots of people do it and its not against the law. Youre 18, dont be a child. If you wanna smoke a cigar do it and invite your dad to join you!

Tell them. Honesty is the best policy....they might not be happy, but they'll respect you and appreciate the honesty,

On a similar note. My parents hate tobacco. I worked in a cigar shop for a couple years, chewed tobacco for 8 years, now I smoke cigs/ pipes/ and cigars.

They know about it, and they don't like it. However, I show them the respect of not indulging when in their presence...whether it be I go to their house, or they come to mine.

You don't have to change who you are, or what you want to do...but being up front, and showing them respect by not "rubbing ther faces in it" worked for me.

Well my parents are very anti tobacco, and my girlfriend can't stand the smell of smoke, however I put it out there and just kinda said, "Here it is, take it or leave it." It may take some getting used to, but if they really care about you, then they'll accept that part of your life.

On the other hand, if you can't stand up for yourself and are scared to tell your parents, then are you really mature enough to make the choice of smoking cigars? Just food for thought.

After my honeymoon my wife was showing my mom some of our pictures and there were a few of me smoking cigars and my mom said "oh! you tried a cigar?" I didn't have the hear to tell her I had been regularly "trying" cigars for prior 10 years. Though, to be perfectly honest, even after all of these years, I don't smoke around my parents.

My mother is a nurse and to this day she still takes the time to comment on how bad cigar smoking is for me. I enjoy the health conversations we've had and it makes me glad to know that she is concerned about my health. Like many have said, honesty is the best policy. An open discussion can only lead to them accepting or denying your use of tobacco. If they say no, dig for the question behind the question and report back :thumbs:

Join the Marine Corps. After Boot Camp you'll have the courage and self-confidence to tell your parents anything. Grow a set, kid.

Doc.

Tell them you've secretly been in love with the dog and plan to go to Mexico to live and get married. Also mention you've sold the mining rights to their property to a strip mining operation to fund your trip/love affair. Then mention you've taken up cigars. After a couple of weeks come back and tell them you've returned the money to the mining company and cancelled the contract. The dog has left you for a dachshund so that won't be happening and you never did consummate your relationship so no worries there. Unfortunately you've developed a taste for cigars and you hope they're cool with that.

Join the Marine Corps. After Boot Camp you'll have the courage and self-confidence to tell your parents anything. Grow a set, kid.

Doc.
Semper Fi, Doc.....!!.....:thumbs:

Some folks don't like the smell of smoke, and I can understand that. I never smoke in my home (with the exception of my smoking room with dedicated ventilation). I never smoke around folks that are eating that don't want me to smoke.

Having said that, as long as I'm not bothering anyone and as long as I'm respecting their space, they'd damn well better respect mine. Smoke outside, clean up your butts, and tell your folks the truth. Show respect, and it's not unreasonable to expect the same in return.

B.B.S.

My mom doesn't mind me smoking the cigars but she is still pissed that I ordered cigars from Thompson using her address... she's tired of the junk mail :sign:

Pipes/Cigars are not the same as cigarettes. You're 18, tell them that you occasionally smoke cigars/pipes, and why. Being open and honest is best. Trying to hide something will only make things worse. Best to be honest and gain credibility than to lie. The truth may not always feel comfortable, however it certainly makes you a better person. Worst case, they tell you they don't like it, so big deal, you smoke when they're not around or when you go out. You're an adult, and the decision to smoke cigars over cigarettes is a wise one. Good luck.

Wait, they allow you to drink but you're worried about their feelings on cigars? Um, one's illegal for you to do and one isn't.

Hard to imagine how your cigar smoking is a secret if you live under the same roof as your parents. The stench of cigar smoke will stubbornly cling to you and your clothes. It would take some serious effort to conceal the odor.

Do you live at home with your parents? If so, approach it honestly. I'd be surprised to find out that they are concerned over your cigar/pipe smoking, when they don't care if you drink, underage drinking that is.

You're legal smoking age, what's the deal? If it changes nothing about how you treat them, your schoolwork or your job, I'd hope they'd be ok with it and realize it's something you enjoy doing.