• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Working Mans Pass

If you're still taking people I'd like to be in on the pass. I'll definitely need guidance on matching cigars.

PM Sent

If there is anyone in my area in this pass I will gladly do a meeting to hand off the pass!

Joe there is a 4 month rule. Like your enthusiastic prowess but there are rules.
If you're still taking people I'd like to be in on the pass. I'll definitely need guidance on matching cigars.
Sorry, read emodx's rules and thought this pass was something different(30 days). There's been no response and I've sent no pm with info, all is well.

So there is some Sea Lawyer out there that has an opinion on who can and who can't start a pass. His claim is, "STARTING A PASS: You may not start a pass until you have successfully participated in at least 3 other passes AND have been an active member, in good standing, for at least the past 9 months of joining CP." The problem is I joined CP about 9 years ago but have not been an active member. Based on this thread I should not be allowed to host a pass.

Apparently it is more important to be a good Sea Lawyer than a BOTL. And because he is correct in the letter of the law, I withdraw this pass. However, this member is missing the bigger picture, being a BOTL. And as a BOTL I was extending friendship to a new group of BOTL's.

So, that being said, I am going to give each BOTL two ISOMS and donate the pass to CPI.

To the Jack Ass who decided to go there, FU!

-E

Edited to say that each BOTL of the pass get's 2 ISOM's.

I suppose that's true, Emo, I didn't even think about that until it was pointed out in the other thread. Hang on to your ISOMs where it concerns me, sir, or if you really feel the need, put them in CPI. As Insight stated in that thread, you seem to be one of the good guys. My hat's off to you in regards to your stewardship of CPI all this time, and hopefully you'll stick around and we can kick this off in April.

Lawyers are jackasses. All of us are. Really, there are no exceptions. But in this instance, I want to make clear that I am not the lawyer in question!

Pretty sure "active" is subject to interpretation, not a strict rule. Self-moderation and all that... I say if the FOGs say it's okay, go with it. :)

So there is some Sea Lawyer out there that has an opinion on who can and who can't start a pass. His claim is, "STARTING A PASS: You may not start a pass until you have successfully participated in at least 3 other passes AND have been an active member, in good standing, for at least the past 9 months of joining CP."

Wasn't an opinion or a claim. I simply pointed out a rule that no one else would have done because of who you are.

The problem is I joined CP about 9 years ago but have not been an active member. Based on this thread I should not be allowed to host a pass.
You have been here nine years, which to me means no one should have to point out the rules to you. Problem is, you haven't posted in over 2 years, hadn't logged on in over a year, and it took you a year and a half to get up with Jake!

Apparently it is more important to be a good Sea Lawyer than a BOTL.
Don't think you've been around enough to know me to make this type of comparison.

And because he is correct in the letter of the law, I withdraw this pass. However, this member is missing the bigger picture, being a BOTL. And as a BOTL I was extending friendship to a new group of BOTL's.

And as such the BoTL you are claiming to be, I would think that you would try to steer this "new group of BoTL's" in the right direction instead of showing them it's ok to skirt a rule because you've been here 9 years and are just trying to "extend friendship".

So, that being said, I am going to give each BOTL two ISOMS and donate the pass to CPI.

-E

Now to the good stuff. Let me make Jonesy look like an asshole while I come off as the good guy since I'm shutting down the pass voluntarily and giving away a couple ISOMS to those that were going to be in the pass.

Now that I've done that, I can be a real BoTL and call him a jackass sea lawyer that can go fuck himself but not have the stones to say it outright by veiling it in a generality. Yep, that sure is being a BoTL and setting a good example!

You know, I never once called you a name, never once said a cross word to you, wasn't being a dick when I voiced my opinion, and even told you I had a good deal of respect for you. The whole active thing is to protect the community from people joining then immediately selling, scamming, peddling fakes, etc. I knew that this wasn't even close to being the case with you because I knew you were an outstanding Brother that has never been anything but good for this board.

But like I said, If someone that hasn't been active in years and tried to put up a sale gets shot down, how do you allow a pass?

So there is some Sea Lawyer out there that has an opinion on who can and who can't start a pass. His claim is, "STARTING A PASS: You may not start a pass until you have successfully participated in at least 3 other passes AND have been an active member, in good standing, for at least the past 9 months of joining CP."

Wasn't an opinion or a claim. I simply pointed out a rule that no one else would have done because of who you are.

The problem is I joined CP about 9 years ago but have not been an active member. Based on this thread I should not be allowed to host a pass.
You have been here nine years, which to me means no one should have to point out the rules to you. Problem is, you haven't posted in over 2 years, hadn't logged on in over a year, and it took you a year and a half to get up with Jake!

Apparently it is more important to be a good Sea Lawyer than a BOTL.
Don't think you've been around enough to know me to make this type of comparison.

And because he is correct in the letter of the law, I withdraw this pass. However, this member is missing the bigger picture, being a BOTL. And as a BOTL I was extending friendship to a new group of BOTL's.

And as such the BoTL you are claiming to be, I would think that you would try to steer this "new group of BoTL's" in the right direction instead of showing them it's ok to skirt a rule because you've been here 9 years and are just trying to "extend friendship".

-E

Now to the good stuff. Let me make Jonesy look like an asshole while I come off as the good guy since I'm shutting down the pass voluntarily and giving away a couple ISOMS to those that were going to be in the pass.

Now that I've done that, I can be a real BoTL and call him a jackass sea lawyer that can go fuck himself but not have the stones to say it outright by veiling it in a generality. Yep, that sure is being a BoTL and setting a good example!

You know, I never once called you a name, never once said a cross word to you, wasn't being a dick when I voiced my opinion, and even told you I had a good deal of respect for you. The whole active thing is to protect the community from people joining then immediately selling, scamming, peddling fakes, etc. I knew that this wasn't even close to being the case with you because I knew you were an outstanding Brother that has never been anything but good for this board.

But like I said, If someone that hasn't been active in years and tried to put up a sale gets shot down, how do you allow a pass?
You are technically right which is why I pulled the pass. As far as setting a good example, never signed up for the job. Just call it like I see it. Just like you did. Regardless, these things have a way of working themselves out. Since I pulled the pass on a technicality I thought it would be appropriate to send something to those who had joined up to that point. That's one way I am working this out. The other way is to call you out when you act an ass, just like the way you called me out when I acted an ass.

I am done with this.

-E

Please explain something to me, and maybe others who are trying to understand the gray areas.

If he is the co-administrator of CPI, does that not equate to some sort of "participation"? Seems like a good measure of responsibility.

In addition, I don't know what happened with Jake which, on the surface, sounds like he defaulted on some responsibility for over a year. Is this something public, where other members would know, and in turn, make an educated decision?

Finally, when the Hell did Jonesy become a Lawyer?

Please explain something to me, and maybe others who are trying to understand the gray areas.

If he is the co-administrator of CPI, does that not equate to some sort of "participation"? Seems like a good measure of responsibility.

In addition, I don't know what happened with Jake which, on the surface, sounds like he defaulted on some responsibility for over a year. Is this something public, where other members would know, and in turn, make an educated decision?

Finally, when the Hell did Jonesy become a Lawyer?
Everything is public in the CPI thread. Big Jake had sent some cigar for CPI a while back and I had failed to update the member and cigar list. This was during a very busy and chaotic time for me so I was only logging in when I received a PM or email. So he went without any contact from me for a long time. But when I received a PM that said I needed to take a look at the CPI thread I did. I have since sent Big Jake a picture of the cigars he had sent in and ensured the CPI thread was updated. I don't want to continue arguing on the board with Jonesy so I won't comment further. But it is all there in the open.

-E

So, am I to understand that Jake only contacted you once, and then states it took 2 years to resolve it?

TOO MANY times here, a person says "I said something to him X years ago".

Is that what happened? One attempt at communication, and then nothing until now?

Did Jake forget to follow-up? If so, is it ok for him to forget, but not Emo?

edit to add:

I found the history in the CPI thread. Thanks.

I guess I flew under the assumption that...if you are responsible for something on the board (CPI, Newbie sampler, etc.) you would check the thread which you are responsible for.

There were a few PM's I had sent. Before Rod upgraded the forums, he asked us to save or backup PM's that we thought important. This was the only one I saved....I don't know when it was sent, I only have the time-stamp from when I created the word document I backed it up in.

That date was 6/25/09, 8:45 pm

CP PM Backups

Any update as to the sticks I sent for CPI a few months back? I know you've been busy....but seeing as Im running a pass right now, just wanted to double check and make sure Im covered! :thumbs:

You are covered. I received them a while back an was waiting on a reply to what they were. I am sorry it took so long to respond. I'll look for the package in the cooler again and update the site when I have an opportunity.

-E

I guess it took 2 years to find the opportunity.....regardless, I'm just glad the sticks were found and it was resolved.

So, am I to understand that Jake only contacted you once, and then states it took 2 years to resolve it?

TOO MANY times here, a person says "I said something to him X years ago".

Is that what happened? One attempt at communication, and then nothing until now?

Did Jake forget to follow-up? If so, is it ok for him to forget, but not Emo?

edit to add:

I found the history in the CPI thread. Thanks.
Dan, no worries man. I am not going to hold grudges nor do I really want this to carry on in public. It just takes away from what the board is supposed to be about. I should have been the bigger man and just PM'ed whoever and tried to handle it in PM's. Too often we forget that things are best handled in private before taking it public. One of the things I learned from a couple old FOG's and forgot to apply this time.

-E

Emo, this isn't wholly about you. And you're right, it does take away from what the board is supposed to be, and it happens far too often!

This event is just what has caused me to reach a point where I have to ask some questions, and make some comments.

I have seen too many instances of poor judgement or inactivity with both parties, and folks blindly hopping to one side. Then publicly flogging or humiliating someone.
Besides being lopsided, this is not what "Brothers" should do.

I would really like to see folks try more communication behind the scenes.

I would also really like to see some attempts at better judgement, on both sides of transactions and other activities. Risk assessment is vital, and I have seen complete and utter failures in several fiascos.

Why beat on someone when we could have done better ourselves? And, be man enough to consider and accept your own shortcomings when you are ready to hit the "enter" key with confrontational or humiliating language.

We have quite a range of backgrounds, education levels, health levels, levels of life's responsibilities, etc. here on CP. Each brings it's own set of dynamics. Yes I am philosophic; it is my nature. But, when we throw the word Brotherhood around so loosely, I expect to see folks trying to behave to some set of ideas and ideals.