Rules for Participation:
- 4 Months membership on the board (Join date on or prior to June 11, 2011)
- Absolutely NO issues of asshattery during your tenure here
- There is a required participation in a minimum of one successful trade
- You must have a minimum of 40 posts prior to June 11, 2011
- This has to be your first pass. If you've participated in one before, you can follow the pass for knowledge
- Equal puts for Equal Takes…that means value for value, rarity for rarity. DO NOT pm me before you post your Puts and Takes to get my opinion on them. While that is generally acceptable in other passes, the purpose of this pass is for all participants to learn why certain trades are good, and certain trades aren't.
- Upon receiving the package please inspect the pass and make sure the humidity is fine. If for some reason the hygrometer is acting fishy, make sure the cigars aren't dried out and cracking and nothing is damaged or missing. So, do an inventory on not only the cigars and numbers, but make sure they are all there! If there is an issue, please post it in the pass and make all participants and myself aware and we will work through it.
- Post your P/T’s as soon as you can so they can be reviewed and discussed. Please fill out the papers with the pass, noting which cigars you took…and what you put for them. Use the correct numbers!!! Be sure to label all of your puts with numbers! Do not ship without making sure the next person in line is available and ready to accept the pass.
- Unlimited amount of P/T’s, after all, we have to make this worth everyone’s while.
- If at all possible, try to prevent putting a double into the pass…if the cigar you were going to use as a put is already in there, try to find another suitable put. Everyone deserves to have the same variety to choose from that you did.
- Always ship with a tracking number and post it in the thread notifying the members that the pass is on the road! Hand-offs are allowed and encouraged if at all possible.
- If the box is in bad shape, please replace it before sending it on to the next person.
- If you have to drop out at any time or think you will be out of town when your turn in the pass comes up, let the pass members know immediately.
- Do not be afraid to ask questions. If you aren't learning pass etiquette and how to participate, then this pass is pointless.
- Post everything in the pass thread: questions, concerns, etc.
- Since the purpose of this pass is more focused education than anything, there won't be an extravagant cigar line-up, but I will throw in a few nicer and limited sticks for the sake of walking through the P's and T's if anyone wants to trade for them.
- Rarity should be based on production until a certain point where age can become a factor. I'd say that's probably when you get past the 8 year old marker for common sticks and probably 5 years for rarer cigars and cigars out of production. For example, someone justifying that Opus are one of the rarest cigars because they aren't at their B&M and they can't get them, even though the cigar is on a constant, quarterly production and are widely available. "Rarity" has always been judged differently by different hosts. I often looked at it based on the following qualifications listed below.
Level 1: Currently in Production Year Round
Level 2: On a Production/ Release Schedule
Level 3: Out of Circulation
3a. Production Size
- Often times you try to stay in the same category. Circumstances could permit a trade for a Level 2 Put for a Level 3 trade if price, etc. closed the gap. However, it's hard to think of an example where a Level 1 could be put for a Level 3, save for only a few cigars. This is where putting a cigar with an MSRP of a few more dollars can make up for the "rarity factor."
- Like I said, everyone is different in how they judge "rarity" it's always been the one thing that can't be truly standardized. But availability to CP vs. availability to the average smoker is not a way to perceive rarity when it comes to passing.
Assigning Value to Puts and Takes (Pass Standards and Value Resources):
- For uncommon fuente cigars, these will be your references:
- To find the value of "common" cigars, you will need to average the box prices from the following vendors, and get the per stick average. If box prices are not available, you will need to use the singles pricing. These sources do not encompass every cigar on the market, so if you cannot find your cigars here, search for other REPUTABLE vendors and average their prices, noting which ones you chose (remember, this is a learning experience...in most passes the foot work to find values is solely on you).
- Even with the sources, there will be cigars that pop-up, that due to there rarity, will be discussed on a case-by-case basis. Though it won't happen in this pass, as an example, if an Opus 22 coffin were to be put in, you typically can't find those readily available for their actual MSRP's in an online search. This is where P's and T's get tricky. Moki's website, Vitolas.net, is a great resource for those types of cigars. Additionally, sometimes cigars will pop-up that were released to one store. Take the Tatuaje Anarchy that was released to Smoke Inn for example. It can only be purchased one place, therefore, Smoke Inn's pricing on that stick ($9.99) is the MSRP we use for a P/T.
- Re-read rule #1, value for value, rarity for rarity. There are also the cases where added value makes up for rarity, and vice versa. You never send a pass on to the next person in worse condition or shape than you got it. That has to do with the shape of the packaging and the value of contents. Everyone deserves the equal opportunity to trade for a nice selection, otherwise the pass is pointless. If a pass were to be raided and every cigar put in the pass was a lesser value than the cigar taken, then the individuals at the end of the pass get stuck with dog rockets, and that's not what we try to encourage.
- Additionally, over-puts, while at the discretion of the participant, can add to much value to the pass (if enough participants do it) and thus prevent the guy at the end from also trading for a cigar. If you begin a pass that has an average of $8 cigars and it averages $15 by the end, well, that wasn't what the guys at the end signed-up for either. The cigars might have gotten to valuable or rare for them to be able to trade for. Keep this in mind as you do your research. Sure, some of us (and I'm guilty of this as well) are lazy and don't want to research all of the MSRP's...so you put in a $15 cigar for a $10 cigar, knowing the trade will be approved. I hope that puts it into perspective of why it's not necessarily frowned up, but if it got out of control, could result in a real mess for other participants.
- Read this thread: a Cigar Pass Primer and FAQ
Participants (In order):
mjolnir01 MarkJr Lil_mac14 Tall Paul Bayamos Set-In-Stone engspot broblues MrAnderson41 Gern Blansten Kid Montana Thumper68 ilikefishes 2K6TBSS Puros Locos
- 5 Vegas Gold Robusto [P: Bigjake6904, T:]
Arturo Fuente Gran Reserva Chateau Fuente[P: Bigjake6904, T: Lil_mac14] Arturo Fuente Opus X Perfecxion X (2008)[P: Bigjake6904, T: Tall Paul] Arturo Fuente Opus X Power Ranger xXx (2011)[P: Bigjake6904, T: MarkJr] Arturo Fuente Work of Art Maduro (2010)[P: Bigjake6904, T: Lil_mac14] Ave Maria Clermont[P: Bigjake6904, T: ilikefishes] Brick House Short Torpedo[P: Bigjake6904, T: mjolnir01] Don Pepin Garcia Blue Label Invictos[P: Bigjake6904, T:Set-In-Stone] Don Pepin Garcia My Father Le Bijou 1922 Torpedo[P: Bigjake6904, T: mjolnir01] El Cobre by Oliva Toro[P: Bigjake6904, T: broblues] Felipe Gregorio Robusto (1998)[P: Bigjake6904, T: Puros Locos] Flor de Ybor City No. 270[P: Bigjake6904, T: engspot] Gran Habano Connecticut #1 Robusto[P: Bigjake6904, T: Kid Montana] Habanos Puros Seleccion Suprema Torpedo[P: BigJake6904, T: 2K6TBSS] Joya de Nicaragua Clasico No. 1[P:Bigjake6904, T: engspot] La Flor Dominicana Double Ligero 452[P: Bigjake6904, T: Bayamos] La Flor Dominicana Habano Perfecto[P: Bigjake6904, T: MrAnderson41] Oliva Series V Lancero (2008)[P: Bigjake6904, T: broblues] Padilla Habano Burberry Perfecto[P: Bigjake6904, T: Tall Paul] Padilla Series ’68 Robusto[P: Bigjake6904, T: Gern Blansten] Padron 1926 #6 Maduro[P: Bigjake6904, T: Tall Paul] Perdomo Lot 23 Punta Gorda[P: Bigjake6904, T: 2K6TBSS]
- Stradivarius de los Maestros Robusto Major (No coffin) [P: Bigjake6904, T:]
Tatuaje Black Petite Lancero 2nd Release[P: Bigjake6904, T: MarkJr] Tatuaje El Triunfador Lancero[P: Bigjake6904, T:MarkJr] Padron 5000 Maduro[P: mjolnir01, T: Lil_mac14] Illusione Epernay Le Martin[P: mjolnir01, T: Lil_mac14] Arturo Fuente Anejo #49[P: MarkJr, T: Bayamos] Tatuaje 7th Natural[P: MarkJr, T: Kid Montana] La Riqueza #3[P: MarkJr, T: Gern Blansten] Arturo Fuente Anejo NO. 50 (2006)[P: Lil_mac14, T: Tall Paul]
- Arturo Fuente Hemingway Signature [P: Lil_mac14, T:]
- 5 Vegas Serie 'A' Apex [P: Lil_mac14, T:]
- Ashton VSG Torpedo [P: Lil_mac14, T:]
Tatuaje Wolfman[P: Tall Paul, T: engspot] Tatuaje Dracula[P: Tall Paul, T:Set-In-Stone] Casa Magna Domus Magnus Primus[P: Tall Paul, T: Bayamos] Illusione MK[P: Tall Paul, T: MrAnderson41] Diamond Crown Maximus Double Robusto #6[P: Bayamos, T: MrAnderson41] Illusione Epernay L Alpinste[P: Bayamos, T: Gern Blansten]
- Short Story Maduro [P: Bayamos, T:]
Tatuaje The Face[P: Set-In-Stone, T: engspot] Tatuaje Black PL (Second Release)[P: Set-In-Stone, T: Gern Blansten]
- Padron Londres Maduro [P: engspot, T:]
- CAO CX2 Robusto [P: engspot, T:]
- Fuente Opus X RdC [P: engspot, T:]
Tatuaje Black CG (Jar Release)[P: engspot, T: ilikefishes] My Father Toro[P: engspot, T: broblues] Padron 1964 Exclusivo[P: broblues, T: Gern Blansten]
- AF 8-5-8 Maduro [P: broblues, T:]
Padron 3000 Maduro[P: broblues, T: MrAnderson41]
- Camacho Triple Maduro 50/4.5 [P: MrAnderson41, T:]
Arturo Fuente Hemingway Classic[P: MrAnderson41, T: Thumper68]
- Arturo Fuente Opus X Petite Lancero [P: MrAnderson41, T:]
Oliva Cain F 550 Dark Natural[P: MrAnderson41, T: 2K6TBSS]
- Oliva Series V #4 [P: Gern Blansten,T:]
Illusione 88[P: Gern Blansten,T: Kid Montana] Arturo Fuente Opus X Perfecxion X (2009)[P: Gern Blansten,T: ilikefishes] Arturo Fuente Anejo #46[P: Gern Blansten,T: Thumper68]
- Arturo Fuente Anejo #55 [P: Gern Blansten,T:]
Outlaw Cigar Co "13" Corona[P: Kid Montana, T: Thumper68] Padron 1964 Principe Maduro[P: Kid Montana, T: 2K6TBSS] LFD Air Bender Chisel[P: Kid Montana, T: Puros Locos]
- My Father Le Bijou 1922 Toro [P: Thumper68, T:]
- Arturo Fuente Work of Art Maduro [P: Thumper68, T:]
- Padron Delicias Maduro [P: Thumper68, T:]
Tatuaje "The Face"[P: ilikefishes, T: Puros Locos]
- Gran Habano Czar #5 [P: ilikefishes, T:]
Camacho Liberty 2011 [P: ilikefishes, T: Puros Locos]
- Alec Bradley Tempus Terra Novo [P: 2K6TBSS, T:]
- La Gloria Cubana Serie N [P: 2K6TBSS, T:]
- RP Edge Sumatra Toro [P: 2K6TBSS, T:]
- Monte Brown Label Churchill [P: 2K6TBSS, T:]
- LFD Cabinet Maduro Torpedo [P: 2K6TBSS, T:]
- My Father Le Bijou "Puff N Stuff" Corona Gorda [P:Puros Locos, T:]
- 2009 Tatuaje La Verite Churchill [P:Puros Locos, T:]
- My Father Limited 2011 [P:Puros Locos, T:]
- Padilla Miami Robusto [P:Puros Locos, T:]
Edited by BigJake6904, 29 January 2012 - 10:17 PM.