• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Home-made wooden ash tray

Asel.mike

Professional nerd
Austin (Aquiring93) and I really want an ashtray since we always smoke together. Being industrious and frugal young men, we knew we needed to make it ourselves. This is our first evening's progress. Tomorrow after school, more progress will be made!!!

6502904539_39a40d32dd.jpg

Looks alot like a little stadium.....

6502904551_72dd2d4cc5.jpg

The desired result in a few days. Decided to buy a few cheaper cigars today. I'm hoping to find a good cheap go to smoke.

More pictures tomorrow!

Looks good. I wonder if you would be able to stain it with something for color? Good effort!

You can probably stain with any wood stain to get the color you would like, then sand with a 320 grit and repeat for color depth.

Get an aerosol can of VHT high temperature clear coat ($6) and spray on a few light coats and you'll have an ashtray that should resist staining from the ashes or burns from resting your cigar down. I wouldn't use a normal wood polyurethane, the stuff is kind of soft and might not last.

http://www.vhtpaint.com/products/engineenamel/

Good luck!

edit: you'll have to "cook" the clear coat a bit with a hairdryer or oven, but once it's dried it won't be going anywhere. Maybe lay down some foil and throw in on the grill!

Don't lose interest. I would like to see your finished product.

Keep the progress pics coming. It's always fun to follow a project like this.

This is very cool, I can't wait to see what you do with it.

Absolutely AWESOME! Curious, would you take orders? (Yes, I'm serious).

I am very Impressed, I know very little about working with wood and I can say from the first picture to the second one is very amazing. Very nicely done

Great work! I'm with Souldog, would you be interested in making a couple for the CP Brothers?

Looks great I cut all my own wood for heat and this season I cut a couple decent sized blocks for a project like this... Keep up the good work.