• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Good bourbon whiskey?

chiefmd

Bone Fixer
I have a bottle of Van Winkle 20 year but obviously do not want to drink it daily. Any good "go to" bourbons out there with good flavor profiles? I started getting into bourbons after not really being able to get accustomed to scotches. I think bourbons are a bit smoother at the end.

These are fun

Four Roses Small Batch
Weller 12
Blanton's

I like Woodford Reserve or Basil Hayden as a go to. If I want something a little sharper on the tongue I take out the Baker's.

S300 :cool:

Woodford Reserve, Knob Creek, Buffalo Trace, Four Roses Small Batch, Elijah Craig 12, 1792 Ridgemont Reserve (my 'house bourbon') . . . all good sipping bourbons. For a low price point "budget stretcher" I like Old Forester---at about $13 a fifth and no mixer required to make it palatable, it's a gem.

~Boar

Woodford Reserve is an excellent choice, as well as the Basil Hayden.
I have found my "go to" lately to be the Knob Creek Single Barrel Reserve. It is a delicious Kentucky straight bourbon aged for 9 years with a combination of flavors that seduce the taste buds. It's been known to creep up on me, but at 60% / 120 proof - Im not surprised.

I think I'm looking at knob creek single reserve or four roses small batch.

Keep in mind the Knob Creek Single is barrel proof. When I had it I thought it was very hot. I typically drink my spirits neat though.

Yea at 120 proof I might try my luck with four roses first. The Van Winkle does have a bit of heat at the end.

Everything mentioned is wonderful, but I still keep a bottle of Wild Turkey 101 around for daily libations. Priced right, good complexity, not too hot despite it's 101 proof rating.

So I bought a 150ml of Woodford and I'm just not picking up the flavors. What gives? How do I get my palate to differentiate the flavors?

Well, it's always possible your palate is stunted. ;)

Really the only way to get there is practice. Use a rocks glass with only a finger or so of bourbon, neat, so that the aromas are concentrated under your nose (olfactory is at least 70% of taste), let each sip roll around a bit and drain gradually off your tongue before swallowing, then breathe in to maximize the finish. Concentrate. Relax.

The flavor descriptions you hear are all approximations, anyway---vanilla, cinnamon, caramel? Not actually there, just something reminds the reviewer of that. There are some REAL flavors, like 'char' (from long, long barrel time) and 'copper' (from traditional stills, like Willet's. You can REALLY taste the copper in Willet's) and one I just call "corn" because it's in bourbon but not Scotch, and it's slightly sweet, so I figure that must be what it is.

You'll come up with your own descriptive language eventually. And remember, the most important one will always be along the lines of "Now, that's some DAMN fine Bourbon!"

~Boar

Get some Rock Hills Farm! You can thank me later ;)

Besides Rock Hills, I would suggest fnding some small sample bottles for a few dollars each of Buffalo Trace, Woodford Reserve, Wild Turkey Rare Breed, Jim Beam and then you may find a flavor profile that you enjoy the most. Then maybe the search will become a little easier for ya. BTW how do you like the Pappy? ???

So I bought a 150ml of Woodford and I'm just not picking up the flavors. What gives? How do I get my palate to differentiate the flavors?

Use a drop of spring water or an icecube to open up the Bourbon, this help release the flavors.

Get some Rock Hills Farm! You can thank me later

Besides Rock Hills, I would suggest fnding some small sample bottles for a few dollars each of Buffalo Trace, Woodford Reserve, Wild Turkey Rare Breed, Jim Beam and then you may find a flavor profile that you enjoy the most. Then maybe the search will become a little easier for ya. BTW how do you like the Pappy?
The Pappy Van Winkle is awesome. That's it.